Old 05-21-2015, 09:30 PM   #1

Slide locks when traveling?

How do I know if I must lock my slides before traveling to avoid them from opening while on the road? I read a few threads on hear mentioning that. This is my second TT with slides and no one ever said anything about this and for 4 years with my 26TBSS never had an issue. Is this an issue with specific models or for all TT with slides?

2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:13 PM   #2

After about 60,000 miles towing trailers with slides, never had a problem. I don't use slide locks.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilcin View Post
How do I know if I must lock my slides before traveling to avoid them from opening while on the road? I read a few threads on hear mentioning that. This is my second TT with slides and no one ever said anything about this and for 4 years with my 26TBSS never had an issue. Is this an issue with specific models or for all TT with slides?

Did manual slide locks come with your trailer? It's a long bar that you twist to tighten. Did anyone tell you during your walk thru to put in slide locks? If you don't have the bar and it wasn't mentioned during your walk thru; you probably don't need one. If you want to be positive, get a flashlight, run your slide in, grab a step stool to get you high enough to look between roof and slide in; now shine that light along the wall of the camper you just exposed by running in the slide. If you see a post card sized sign, that's says, "place slide lock here"; then you need a a manual slide lock. If not, your good to go. Hope this helps rather than confuses.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 05-22-2015, 07:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj3spots View Post
Did manual slide locks come with your trailer? It's a long bar that you twist to tighten. Did anyone tell you during your walk thru to put in slide locks? If you don't have the bar and it wasn't mentioned during your walk thru; you probably don't need one. If you want to be positive, get a flashlight, run your slide in, grab a step stool to get you high enough to look between roof and slide in; now shine that light along the wall of the camper you just exposed by running in the slide. If you see a post card sized sign, that's says, "place slide lock here"; then you need a a manual slide lock. If not, your good to go. Hope this helps rather than confuses.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Nope, do not see any sign and my Puma 32SBKS had no bar or mention of this feature when I did the walk-thru. Thanks for the reply.
2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:24 PM   #5
MrT

The slide locks were demonstrated on our walk-through. They've been under the hide-a-bed since. Barring a significant mechanical failure in the mechanism, I can't image the slides moving underway.

2017 Cedar Creek 38CK Hathaway Edition
2015 Ford F-350 6.7 CC 4x4
B&W RVK3300
Full-timing since 5/2/2016. Roam Sweet Home.
FROG Int'l Rallies: 2012-2017
MrT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:29 PM   #6

I've been told it depends if the slide motor is hydraulic or electric. On our previous TT with electric, we had "transit bars" or locks. On the current 5er with hydraulic, no such thing.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:52 PM   #7

Two slide locks came with my 2011 Rockwood 2607. The Service Manager at the dealer from which I bought it, said I didn't need to use them because with the track system on the unit, the slide would not extend while traveling.

I traveled without them for two years. Last summer while traveling in the North East, I stopped at a Rest Stop and when entering the rig, I found a ceiling light lens broken and a big chip out of the cabinet trim directly under it. Along with that, two of the drawers were open.The only conclusion I could come to, was the slide had bounced. I also found that after opening and closing the slide for the rest of the trip, the left hand seal became torn. I had to have the slide
realigned.

I now install both of them when I am traveling. Better safe than sorry.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:08 PM   #8

We used the slide locks for 2 years on our 2012 Rockwood 8280 and they caused damage to the tape on the top of the slideout. So right now I'm not using them.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:25 PM   #9

Regarding slide out locks...

I recently purchased a Flagstaff 831RESS...a Big decision for me...but have THOROUGHLY enjoyed it so far. Since it has three slide outs your post about the locks caught my attention. I am still relatively new to camping and travel trailers, but I must say I never heard of slide locks! Now I am worried. I saw nothing in the owner's manual about them, but would like to know if anyone out there knows if you are supposed to use locks when traveling with this unit?
Old 05-22-2015, 02:34 PM   #10

Mine has a slide disable switch. Prevents any possibility of slides extending. Hydraulic slides are automatically locked with pump check valve.

Tags
slide, travel, lock