Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2015, 08:30 PM   #1

Slide locks when traveling?

How do I know if I must lock my slides before traveling to avoid them from opening while on the road? I read a few threads on hear mentioning that. This is my second TT with slides and no one ever said anything about this and for 4 years with my 26TBSS never had an issue. Is this an issue with specific models or for all TT with slides?
2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:13 PM   #2

After about 60,000 miles towing trailers with slides, never had a problem. I don't use slide locks.
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilcin View Post
How do I know if I must lock my slides before traveling to avoid them from opening while on the road? I read a few threads on hear mentioning that. This is my second TT with slides and no one ever said anything about this and for 4 years with my 26TBSS never had an issue. Is this an issue with specific models or for all TT with slides?

Did manual slide locks come with your trailer? It's a long bar that you twist to tighten. Did anyone tell you during your walk thru to put in slide locks? If you don't have the bar and it wasn't mentioned during your walk thru; you probably don't need one. If you want to be positive, get a flashlight, run your slide in, grab a step stool to get you high enough to look between roof and slide in; now shine that light along the wall of the camper you just exposed by running in the slide. If you see a post card sized sign, that's says, "place slide lock here"; then you need a a manual slide lock. If not, your good to go. Hope this helps rather than confuses.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj3spots View Post
Did manual slide locks come with your trailer? It's a long bar that you twist to tighten. Did anyone tell you during your walk thru to put in slide locks? If you don't have the bar and it wasn't mentioned during your walk thru; you probably don't need one. If you want to be positive, get a flashlight, run your slide in, grab a step stool to get you high enough to look between roof and slide in; now shine that light along the wall of the camper you just exposed by running in the slide. If you see a post card sized sign, that's says, "place slide lock here"; then you need a a manual slide lock. If not, your good to go. Hope this helps rather than confuses.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Nope, do not see any sign and my Puma 32SBKS had no bar or mention of this feature when I did the walk-thru. Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:24 AM   #5
MrT

The slide locks were demonstrated on our walk-through. They've been under the hide-a-bed since. Barring a significant mechanical failure in the mechanism, I can't image the slides moving underway.

2017 Cedar Creek 38CK Hathaway Edition
2015 Ford F-350 6.7 CC 4x4
B&W RVK3300
Full-timing since 5/2/2016. Roam Sweet Home.
FROG Int'l Rallies: 2012-2017
MrT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:29 AM   #6

I've been told it depends if the slide motor is hydraulic or electric. On our previous TT with electric, we had "transit bars" or locks. On the current 5er with hydraulic, no such thing.
NCBBA11043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:52 AM   #7

Two slide locks came with my 2011 Rockwood 2607. The Service Manager at the dealer from which I bought it, said I didn't need to use them because with the track system on the unit, the slide would not extend while traveling.

I traveled without them for two years. Last summer while traveling in the North East, I stopped at a Rest Stop and when entering the rig, I found a ceiling light lens broken and a big chip out of the cabinet trim directly under it. Along with that, two of the drawers were open.The only conclusion I could come to, was the slide had bounced. I also found that after opening and closing the slide for the rest of the trip, the left hand seal became torn. I had to have the slide
realigned.

I now install both of them when I am traveling. Better safe than sorry.
Mrt2607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:08 PM   #8

We used the slide locks for 2 years on our 2012 Rockwood 8280 and they caused damage to the tape on the top of the slideout. So right now I'm not using them.
00boomboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:25 PM   #9

Regarding slide out locks...

I recently purchased a Flagstaff 831RESS...a Big decision for me...but have THOROUGHLY enjoyed it so far. Since it has three slide outs your post about the locks caught my attention. I am still relatively new to camping and travel trailers, but I must say I never heard of slide locks! Now I am worried. I saw nothing in the owner's manual about them, but would like to know if anyone out there knows if you are supposed to use locks when traveling with this unit?
Jobecka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:34 PM   #10

Mine has a slide disable switch. Prevents any possibility of slides extending. Hydraulic slides are automatically locked with pump check valve.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:46 PM   #11

my electric slide motor had a brake bilt in , if your TT uses locks put a reminder by the switch, etc, to take them out,
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 02:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrT View Post
The slide locks were demonstrated on our walk-through. They've been under the hide-a-bed since. Barring a significant mechanical failure in the mechanism, I can't image the slides moving underway.
X-2, my dealer showed them to me and said "I have to show these to you & explain how to use them, you probably never will need to use them". And I have never needed to, like MrT, they're somewhere under the hide- a- bed.
bukhrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:33 PM   #13

I have them, but never used them. How are they supposed to be mounted?
Rockwood8124SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:41 AM   #14

I see many have them but don't use them. Why? I look at it this way. Some day I may get on a road with some nasty turns and I don't want to regret being to lazy to have put them in place.

How do you use them? With the slide out there should be a sticker you can see, on the outside wall, that says place lock here. When the slide is in you place the locking bar on the roof of the slide and adjust it to tighten between the wall and the top edge of the slide. This will prevent the slide from ever moving. It only takes a minute to install the two of them.

There are other uses also, such as a heavy coat rack. I have even put one up in the shower stall to hang wet clothes on.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
I see many have them but don't use them. Why? I look at it this way. Some day I may get on a road with some nasty turns and I don't want to regret being to lazy to have put them in place.

How do you use them? With the slide out there should be a sticker you can see, on the outside wall, that says place lock here. When the slide is in you place the locking bar on the roof of the slide and adjust it to tighten between the wall and the top edge of the slide. This will prevent the slide from ever moving. It only takes a minute to install the two of them.

There are other uses also, such as a heavy coat rack. I have even put one up in the shower stall to hang wet clothes on.

Jim
Because there just is no need to, has nothing to do with being lazy,I have tried physically to push my slides out, at 265 lbs, I couldn't budge them so much as a 1/2 inch, so I put my 250 lb son on the other end, still nothing.
As far as using them, mine go on the sides. As for other uses, at only about 18 in. long, they won't fit across the scower, or the closet. I guess your kids could use them for short batons.
bukhrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukhrn View Post
Because there just is no need to, has nothing to do with being lazy,I have tried physically to push my slides out, at 265 lbs, I couldn't budge them so much as a 1/2 inch, so I put my 250 lb son on the other end, still nothing.
As far as using them, mine go on the sides. As for other uses, at only about 18 in. long, they won't fit across the scower, or the closet. I guess your kids could use them for short batons.
Only 18 inches long? My slide goes out about 4 feet, as are the locks. They adjust from about 2 feet to 4 feet.

They claim that the locks keep the top seal tight so no chance of leaking when the slide is in. Might not matter on a short slide but I can see where it might help on a 4 foot slide.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:51 AM   #17
Canadian Member

I had slide locks on our previous Rockwood Roo and I have them on our current Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite. I've always used mine when travelling. Our slide is also very deep - around 4 feet. They are insurance that the slide won't move during transit.

We have to put the slide out when unloading clothes and food at the end of a trip so I just leave them out after bringing the slide back in for storage and then re-install them before moving it on the next trip.

Bilcin, if you don't have the white stickers on the external wall that shows you where to place the locks, the manufacturer doesn't think you don't need them so don't worry about it.

00boomboom, how did they cause damage to the tape on the top of the slideout? Did them come loose while underway?
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
I had slide locks on our previous Rockwood Roo and I have them on our current Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite. I've always used mine when travelling. Our slide is also very deep - around 4 feet. They are insurance that the slide won't move during transit.

We have to put the slide out when unloading clothes and food at the end of a trip so I just leave them out after bringing the slide back in for storage and then re-install them before moving it on the next trip.

Bilcin, if you don't have the white stickers on the external wall that shows you where to place the locks, the manufacturer doesn't think you don't need them so don't worry about it.

00boomboom, how did they cause damage to the tape on the top of the slideout? Did them come loose while underway?
Thanks, I have not located any stickers so I guess I don't have any slide locks.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:13 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post

There are other uses also, such as a heavy coat rack. I have even put one up in the shower
stall to hang wet clothes on.

Jim

Jim thanks for your reply.
I closed the slide and looked where to put the locks on the slide as you describe. The pad at the end of the slide bar/lock is 3x2 inches whereas the lip on the slide wall is just an inch tall. To complicate further all that space is taken by the seal which would be crushed in order to secure the slide as mentioned. Does not look right...
Rockwood8124SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:32 PM   #20

I have a new Flagstaff Micro Lite FRBS and on walk thru, they pointed out the slide lock but said it wasn't really necessary. I haven't use yet. Any opposing opinions on that comment?
Camping Days 2013 - 24
Camping Days 2014 - 21
Projected Camping Days 2015 - 30
Loneeagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, travel, lock