Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2020, 08:13 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 11
Slide not fully closing

Sorry if Im bring in up an old topic but I didnt see another post addressing this issue.

I have a 2017 XLR 415AMP. The bedroom slide runs off an electric motor. It does not seem to have enough power to fully close the slide but stops about 1-1.5 shy of making contact with the gaskets unless I pull on the bed frame quite hard. When it does close with assistance it seems to make contact on one side and then rotate slightly to compress the gaskets.

There nothing in the way of the rollers and the bed mattress does not make contact with the dresser until fully closed. I do have an extended warranty however as I am the beginning of a 3 week trip I would appreciate any suggestions for fixing the problem without requiring a stop at a service department.

Best regards,
Ben
__________________

The Goon Squad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:16 AM   #2
Head Rambler
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Southwest Alabama
Posts: 7,236
Does it contact on one side when pulling it in or does it leave a gap all the way around it when it stops?

If it contacts one side first then it could be that one side has jumped a tooth.

Do you have a Schwintek slide (Gears on the sides) or an LCI through frame slide (Gear under the bottom)?
__________________

__________________
Salem 29RKSS Pushing a GMC Sierra 2500HD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 05:56 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 11
Gears on side at top and bottom. I have not noticed any contact other than one side making the contact just before the other as it is fully closed.

This morning when I retracted they slide it stopped about 1” from the gaskets the three sides I could see. I will run it in tomorrow with no assistance and take pics.
The Goon Squad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 07:35 PM   #4
Head Rambler
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Southwest Alabama
Posts: 7,236
You have Schwintek slides. There's a procedure for syncing the motors.

Basically you run the room all the way in until it stops and hold the switch for 3 to 5 seconds and then run the room out 2 to 3 inches and then run it back in until the motors stop and hold the switch 3 to 5 seconds. You may need to do that a few times to get it sync'd.
__________________
Salem 29RKSS Pushing a GMC Sierra 2500HD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 08:15 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 11
I’ll give it a shot tomorrow morning. Thanks.
The Goon Squad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 03:29 PM   #6
NXR
Senior Member
 
NXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Family room couch
Posts: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goon Squad View Post
Gears on side at top and bottom.
Is the gear track part securely fastened to the slide side and metal or is it black, kind of plastic-looking and able to float in and out a bit? If the former you have Schwintek. If the latter you have the LCI Power Gear SlimRack.

My Power Gear SlimRack controllers have a part number that shows they are auto-adjusting. Each time I simply hold the "in" and "out" buttons until the slide motors stop making noise even if the slide has stopped moving. That automatically resets the stops and syncs the motors. Usually they stop making noise at the same time but occasionally one will kind of whine for a few seconds after the slide stops moving.

Other SlimRack controller part numbers need to be calibrated by the dealer.

Ray
__________________
2020 Georgetown GT5 34H5
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:52 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 11
Here are two pics of the slide rails. I did not get deep enough into the structure to find a model on the motor. From your description in guessing it is of the variety which requires dealer service to adjust.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2948A89A-42E1-4194-9C35-F9FD00588DDB.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	329.3 KB
ID:	221471   Click image for larger version

Name:	09A37B5A-A920-4FFC-AB77-711D4E02D349.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	351.0 KB
ID:	221472  
The Goon Squad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:10 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goon Squad View Post
Here are two pics of the slide rails. I did not get deep enough into the structure to find a model on the motor. From your description in guessing it is of the variety which requires dealer service to adjust.
It appears in the pictures the bottom is further out then the top ? if so syncing won't help . the motors need to be raised out the there holders and the bottom and top lined up same distance out . then reinstall motors and sync
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:33 AM   #9
NXR
Senior Member
 
NXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Family room couch
Posts: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
It appears in the pictures the bottom is further out then the top ? if so syncing won't help . the motors need to be raised out the there holders and the bottom and top lined up same distance out . then reinstall motors and sync
That is the Schwintek system. I attached a picture of what the LCI Power Gear SlimRack looks like. On mine, the gear teeth rail is black. The rail sits out and away from the slide wall by a noticeable amount. That lets it float as the slide moves so the teeth can stay engaged with the motor all the time.

Counting the screws and the looking at the position of the inner-most one makes me think the top and bottom are out the same amount. The inner vertical side of the window also looks parallel to the wall. The angle may just be because of the camera lens and the distance difference.

As noted, there are a number of videos on syncing the Schwintek system on YouTube. I've never owned the Schwintek system but Bama Rambler's note is exactly what I remember reading and seeing.

The slides can pull a lot of power so make sure you're on shore power, have the generator running, have the engine running, whatever your owner's manual says. Some units say you need to have the engine running and some have a lockout so the slides will not move if the engine is running.

Also note that a common problem with slide movement is weak coach (house) batteries because of the current draw needed. Make sure your house batteries have the correct water level if nothing else. If they're the original batteries they're probably 4+ years old now and may need replaced.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SlimRack.PNG
Views:	19
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	221475  
__________________
2020 Georgetown GT5 34H5
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:16 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
That is the Schwintek system. I attached a picture of what the LCI Power Gear SlimRack looks like. On mine, the gear teeth rail is black. The rail sits out and away from the slide wall by a noticeable amount. That lets it float as the slide moves so the teeth can stay engaged with the motor all the time.

Counting the screws and the looking at the position of the inner-most one makes me think the top and bottom are out the same amount. The inner vertical side of the window also looks parallel to the wall. The angle may just be because of the camera lens and the distance difference.

As noted, there are a number of videos on syncing the Schwintek system on YouTube. I've never owned the Schwintek system but Bama Rambler's note is exactly what I remember reading and seeing.

The slides can pull a lot of power so make sure you're on shore power, have the generator running, have the engine running, whatever your owner's manual says. Some units say you need to have the engine running and some have a lockout so the slides will not move if the engine is running.

Also note that a common problem with slide movement is weak coach (house) batteries because of the current draw needed. Make sure your house batteries have the correct water level if nothing else. If they're the original batteries they're probably 4+ years old now and may need replaced.

Ray
YES i know it's a schwintech from pictures it look out further on the bottom . counting screws may or may not indicate same distance . yes syncing the schwintech is just as bama rambler described. My post was based on top and bottom being off . if they are out equal distance then the OP needs to find out what is hanging it up . Could be a broken motor mount
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:29 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 11
I replaced the battery last spring with two 6V batteries in series soon would have extra capacity for dry camping. The issue was unaffected with the new batteries. I typically am attached to shore power or have the generator running when moving the slides.
The Goon Squad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:53 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 11
The problem is progressing in that it requires two people pushing from the outside in order to assist the motors in closing the slide completely. I have scheduled a service appointment for when I return home. I have a laundry list of small issues for them to address after the trip. I will update once the dealer repairs the problem.
__________________

The Goon Squad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
slide

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:40 PM.


×