Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2014, 05:50 AM   #1

Slide opened on I-10 going 65mph

I strange thing happen to me in my travel yesterday. My bedroom slide opened the whole way as I was traveling down the road. This was my bedroom slide which is up high and is maybe 3' max with a topper (wardrobe slide). This slide is on a 12v motor and pulls a chain across the inside top which pulls 4 cables 2 at the top and 2 at the bottom. I have no idea how this could happened check the 12 volt can find a short. My other 2 slides are the normal rachet type geared. The slide is high enough so I can not see it through my mirrors. The guy next to me got my attention he was behind me until he seen it open. I guess their is a blessing in this. I pulled off the road and closed it. I would say 20 minutes later the traffic just stopped a terrible accident happen 2 or 3 car pile up with having a helicopter take someone away. There was nothing left of the middle car it looked like a beer can that was stomped on. Hope he's or they are okay. But back to the question anybody know why that would happen with my slide? Or what I should look for? Thanks for your help....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:15 AM   #2
Site Team

Any chance at all that you forgot to close it before you left??
Hopefully someone here has some know how on this... A short would be my guess.
And if you got it close the cables are all good.
Im also wondering if that cable motor lost its holding ability. Can you push the slide out when closed?
Goodluck

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
Any chance at all that you forgot to close it before you left??
Hopefully someone here has some know how on this... A short would be my guess.
And if you got it close the cables are all good.
Goodluck
No it was closed for sure, My last thing I always do is check that all my landing gear is up, antenna is down all hatches and slides closed. Can not find a short unless something happened in the switch which I checked and pulled out and found nothing not even a burnt spade or loose wire, No wires at all touching at the motor which is on top inside the unit very accessible. Thats why I wounder how that can happen?......

Old 02-15-2014, 09:01 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Did you get a slide lock with it? I found during my research into why I had locks and my buddy didn't that it depended on the slide mechanism. I also read a few stories of guys with 5ers like yours that would get a slide lock for just the one slide, since that slide had a different mechanism than the rest.

There's a lot of debates on the use of locks, but I run with them always, except maybe the short jump from home to storage yard.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:16 AM   #5

Slide Out

We have never had this in either of the RV's, but just in case it ever did, we have always used the safety bars to hold the slides in while on the road. Seems to work pretty well as we have never had that problem, just another step before pulling out, probably takes an extra five minutes to be safe:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
No it was closed for sure, My last thing I always do is check that all my landing gear is up, antenna is down all hatches and slides closed. Can not find a short unless something happened in the switch which I checked and pulled out and found nothing not even a burnt spade or loose wire, No wires at all touching at the motor which is on top inside the unit very accessible. Thats why I wounder how that can happen?......
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:25 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Hey Glenn...sorry that you're having problems with the wardrobe slide. It's made by BAL...here's the manual for it... http://norcoind.com/bal/downloads/ac...ion-manual.pdf

There's no reference in the manual for your specific problem I'd suggest you call BAL directly at 574.262.3400

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:26 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Sounds like your affected slide is a NORCO Accuslide slide out like my wardrobe slide. It also uses a cable system.

The reason these slide outs don't use safety bars is that they need to have motor rotation to move them in OR out. The mechanical advantage is to the motor which must rotate.

That is why the backup slide extension system is a flex drive for a drill.

The only way this could happen is:

1) a short to ground in the open/close switch
2) If they are remote operated someone sat on the control
3) you missed it THIS ONE TIME (happens even to professionals)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wardrobe Slideout Motor.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	46285   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flex Drive Tool.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	46286  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf accuslide_service-manual.pdf (1.31 MB, 63 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:06 AM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I strange thing happen to me in my travel yesterday. My bedroom slide opened the whole way as I was traveling down the road. This was my bedroom slide which is up high and is maybe 3' max with a topper (wardrobe slide). This slide is on a 12v motor and pulls a chain across the inside top which pulls 4 cables 2 at the top and 2 at the bottom. I have no idea how this could happened check the 12 volt can find a short. My other 2 slides are the normal rachet type geared. The slide is high enough so I can not see it through my mirrors. The guy next to me got my attention he was behind me until he seen it open. I guess their is a blessing in this. I pulled off the road and closed it. I would say 20 minutes later the traffic just stopped a terrible accident happen 2 or 3 car pile up with having a helicopter take someone away. There was nothing left of the middle car it looked like a beer can that was stomped on. Hope he's or they are okay. But back to the question anybody know why that would happen with my slide? Or what I should look for? Thanks for your help....
Thought you were going home from Pensacola?
Old 02-15-2014, 10:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Thought you were going home from Pensacola?
We are going back to Virginia but wanted to take 95 up, Georiga, SC and NC are prepared for bad weather not like Alabama, they don't even own a snow plow or salt and sand trucks. On TV news it showed them dumping a load of sand on an overpass and spreading it by a backhoe bucket. So decided to take 95 up. I'm in Jacksonville FL. now will leave for home in the AM or Monday. I cut a 2x6x17" to fit my slide when it is closed as a brace. It won't open again with that brace and I padded both ends. .............All this and my 2nd year warrenty ran out the 10th of February....Luck of the Irish....

Old 02-15-2014, 11:02 AM   #10
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Sounds like your affected slide is a NORCO Accuslide slide out like my wardrobe slide. It also uses a cable system.

The reason these slide outs don't use safety bars is that they need to have motor rotation to move them in OR out. The mechanical advantage is to the motor which must rotate.

That is why the backup slide extension system is a flex drive for a drill.

The only way this could happen is:

1) a short to ground in the open/close switch
2) If they are remote operated someone sat on the control
3) you missed it THIS ONE TIME (happens even to professionals)
Another post that reminds me why I keep coming back to this forum.

I found that flex drive in a drawer in the kitchen of our new 5er. DH and I figured it was something left by a worker on the assembly line.

So now I get to tell him to take it out of his shop tool box and *put it in the camper tool box*.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:15 AM   #11
NELA

Quote:
We are going back to Virginia but wanted to take 95 up, Georiga, SC and NC are prepared for bad weather not like Alabama, they don't even own a snow plow or salt and sand trucks. On TV news it showed them dumping a load of sand on an overpass and spreading it by a backhoe bucket. So decided to take 95 up. I'm in Jacksonville FL. now will leave for home in the AM or Monday. I cut a 2x6x17" to fit my slide when it is closed as a brace. It won't open again with that brace and I padded both ends. .............All this and my 2nd year warrenty ran out the 10th of February....Luck of the Irish....
gljurczyk (nice Irish name, btw)

Does your wardrobe slide press really hard up against the mattress? Ours does and it's had me concerned that something like you just experienced might happen to us.

Ours actually pushes the mattress over a half inch when it comes in. Does your wardrobe clear the mattress (go over the top a bit)? We have a couple of toppers (flat memory foam and wavey memory foam) on ours and I'm wondering if we've built it up too tall and the pressure up against the mattress might make the slider come out in transit.
1. remove one of the toppers
2. check to see if the slider needs adjusting
3. just push the mattress over before retracting the slide
4. use a slide lock which we'd have to make or buy...didn't come with one

choices choices choises

Old 02-15-2014, 11:58 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
Another post that reminds me why I keep coming back to this forum.

I found that flex drive in a drawer in the kitchen of our new 5er. DH and I figured it was something left by a worker on the assembly line.

So now I get to tell him to take it out of his shop tool box and *put it in the camper tool box*.
Your experience is exactly the same as mine. It was not until I read the manual did I find out the "flex extension inadvertently left in the camper) was needed to move the slide in a motor failure!
Old 02-15-2014, 12:01 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

As requested by PM, here is the rest of my info on this slide system.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Accu-Slide Raw Parts List.pdf (2.10 MB, 31 views)
File Type: pdf NORCO WS Cable Routing Diagram.pdf (97.6 KB, 37 views)
File Type: pdf accuslide_installation-manual.pdf (2.84 MB, 24 views)
File Type: pdf accuslide_brochure.pdf (749.7 KB, 45 views)
Old 02-15-2014, 12:29 PM   #14

Weezer and Herk, you are really both correct, mine pushes hard against the topper, I will move that over a little "GOOD CALL" Thanks for all the info on this slide system Herk. Now I know how it works, it would really be hard to get up there to the front end to adjust. It could have been the rocker switch at the panel. I know i had problem with the rocker on the rear stabilization rocker switch before. Weezer is right, when I close it, it will compack that edge of the mattress. That part was never covered in my PDI. Live and learn it seems, no damage thanks to that guy behind me that seen it opening. I always drive the right lane so I was able to get over fast. Until I can get it checked out better I will install that brace. It might burn the motor up but it could save a disaster going down the road. I'll do a little reading and see if there is a fuse inline, if not I can get one today before we leave again. Thanks everyone for your time, help and concerns......Glenn.....

Old 02-15-2014, 12:34 PM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Weezer and Herk, you are really both correct, mine pushes hard against the topper, I will move that over a little "GOOD CALL" Thanks for all the info on this slide system Herk. Now I know how it works, it would really be hard to get up there to the front end to adjust. It could have been the rocker switch at the panel. I know i had problem with the rocker on the rear stabilization rocker switch before. Weezer is right, when I close it, it will compack that edge of the mattress. That part was never covered in my PDI. Live and learn it seems, no damage thanks to that guy behind me that seen it opening. I always drive the right lane so I was able to get over fast. Until I can get it checked out better I will install that brace. It might burn the motor up but it could save a disaster going down the road. I'll do a little reading and see if there is a fuse inline, if not I can get one today before we leave again. Thanks everyone for your time, help and concerns......Glenn.....
My fuse for that slide (only) is in the power center. The main slides are in the battery compartment.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:35 PM   #16
TeresaInCAL

What a SCARY thing to happen! Glad there was no damage/no one hurt!
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
My fuse for that slide (only) is in the power center. The main slides are in the battery compartment.
Thanks Herk, Now I know where to look. Also weezer I closed the slide and it depressed the mattress a good inch. I also just read Herk that it is impossible for that slide to open without the motor running? Going back to that rocker switch again. I'll pull the plug on that and take a look at the connectors......

Old 02-15-2014, 01:35 PM   #18
NELA

Quote:
Thanks Herk, Now I know where to look. Also weezer I closed the slide and it depressed the mattress a good inch. I also just read Herk that it is impossible for that slide to open without the motor running? Going back to that rocker switch again. I'll pull the plug on that and take a look at the connectors......
Could there be an over ride like a garage door when it meets resistance? To prevent damaging something/someone, or to prevent burning out the motor? Perhaps you hit a rough spot that increased the pressure against the mattress just enough to engage the safety over ride.

Geeze, here I was just bumbling along, thinking about possible causes.

Edited to add: Herk's video states that over torque'ing the motor can damage it. Could forcing the slide in against the mattress result in the over torque'ing?

Old 02-15-2014, 06:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
Could there be an over ride like a garage door when it meets resistance? To prevent damaging something/someone, or to prevent burning out the motor? Perhaps you hit a rough spot that increased the pressure against the mattress just enough to engage the safety over ride.

Geeze, here I was just bumbling along, thinking about possible causes.

Edited to add: Herk's video states that over torque'ing the motor can damage it. Could forcing the slide in against the mattress result in the over torque'ing?
I'm sure it can, I going to move that mattress over a little bit so I won't see it depress when I bring it in. I pulled the switch, it has about 5 wires going into a plug that is molded. I'll have to ohm them out and see if anything is touching. Herk sent some good info. I figure I have all day to look at tomorrow. I did cut the board already to hold it in just to be safe. I have no fuses marked slide. So I guess I will have to try and figure out where each one go's just like I had to do with 110v breakers last week. They had 1 marked O/S I pulled that one and all it took care of was my lights in front of the cab outside. Just another project, thanks for the information....

Old 02-15-2014, 07:37 PM   #20
NELA

Yeah, I'm going out to our 5er tomorrow to move the mattress over. Our V-Lite had the same problem. The bed was in the slider and when it came in it crushed up against the dresser on the opposite wall. It was the original mattress and it wasn't caused by a topper.

Just before we traded it in we took it back for some warranty issues and had them check it. They "claimed" they adjusted it but we saw no change from what it was before we took it in.

However, that was the track/gear style slider....horse of a totally different color.

Tags
slide