Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2017, 03:21 PM   #1

slide out awning

Newbie here, Just purchased our first camper. Rockwood mini lite. It has a slide out. People have said to have awning installed over slide out. Yes or no? And reason why

Thanks Scott:
hoogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 03:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoogy View Post
Newbie here, Just purchased our first camper. Rockwood mini lite. It has a slide out. People have said to have awning installed over slide out. Yes or no? And reason why
absolutely YES, .... stuff(leaves, pine cones, sticks, acorns, pecans, pine straw, snow, ect.) can and will get up there, ... if you don't clean it off before bringing in the slide, you will drag that stuff thru the seal into the camper, ... the awning will prevent that, ... makes sense to me, but there are always folks who claim to have been camping forever and "never have and never will" use an awning, ... when someone says that I know they've never camped where we do, OR, they actually do climb up on top and sweep it off every time before bringing in the slide, OR they don't care and actually do drag anything up there thru the seal into the camper, ... I had to climb up and sweep every time for about four months before I could install our slide awing, ... so the call is yours, but I say yes .......

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 03:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
absolutely YES, .... stuff(leaves, pine cones, sticks, acorns, pecans, pine straw, snow, ect.) can and will get up there, ... if you don't clean it off before bringing in the slide, you will drag that stuff thru the seal into the camper, ... the awning will prevent that, ... makes sense to me, but there are always folks who clam to have been camping forever and "never have and never will" use an awning, ... when someone says that I know they've never camper where we do, OR, they actually do climb up on top and sweep it off every time before bringing in the slide, OR they don't care and actually do drag anything up there thru the seal into the camper, ... I had to climb up and sweep every time for about four months before I could install our slide awing, ... so the call is yours, but I say yes .......

Thank you for your answer. Paid enough for camper don't need any troubles
Old 02-26-2017, 04:02 PM   #4
Just as confused as you

Slide toppers are great. I have three on mine and the slides stay out all season. Never had to clean anything of substance from the slides. One guy asked about birds building nests under the topper, hasn't happened yet. I do look up under the topper before we close for the season and blow the dust out with a leaf blower before I run the slides in.
If your slide is wider than 6 foot be sure to get the right amount of tension on the springs or it will sag like crazy after rain. Someone else on this forum had that problem and readjusted his 4 more turns than specified in the installation instructions. He said it doesn't sag any more. I still have to do that myself.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 04:03 PM   #5

mostly for folks who stay long term at one site. if you are a weekend camper and packing up and leaving every few days not as much added value.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 04:07 PM   #6
Just as confused as you

But you will get junk on you slide roof without them.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 04:09 PM   #7
Site Team

Yes
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 04:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
mostly for folks who stay long term at one site. if you are a weekend camper and packing up and leaving every few days not as much added value.
stuff falls from the trees when it wants to, ... whether your rv has been sitting under them six weeks or six minutes, ... the trees do not distinguish between long term residents and campers who have just pulled into their sites, when they drop their stuff, ... a long term stay can certainly accumulate MORE on top of a slide-out, but a short stay doesn't prevent the trees from saying "hello" and presenting you with an unwanted "welcome to the neighborhood" gift, .........

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:34 PM   #9

Wish to thank everyone for your input. Will have to see dealer about get a topper put on.

Tags
awning, slide, slide out