Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Elanpottery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 29
Slide out awnings

I am looking at upgrading to a fifth wheel from my Cherokee TT. We live on the road full time with our two year old. I am having an issue with the slide outs on my current trailer leaving around the sides in heavy rains and am wondering if I upgrade to slide out awnings on our fifth wheel would it solve this issue? On the con side do they make a lot of noise in the rain and wind? And are they like awnings in that I will have to roll them in when we get high wind storms? Thanks!
__________________

__________________
Elanpottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #2
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanpottery View Post
I am looking at upgrading to a fifth wheel from my Cherokee TT. We live on the road full time with our two year old. I am having an issue with the slide outs on my current trailer leaving around the sides in heavy rains and am wondering if I upgrade to slide out awnings on our fifth wheel would it solve this issue? On the con side do they make a lot of noise in the rain and wind? And are they like awnings in that I will have to roll them in when we get high wind storms? Thanks!
Don't think it would solve the leaking around the sides. The regular slide out awnings are not retractable except by retracting the slide. They roll out with the slide and retract with the slide. Not like a regular awning.
__________________

__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Elanpottery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 29
Humm how do you get the water not to come in then?
__________________
Elanpottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:42 PM   #4
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanpottery View Post
Humm how do you get the water not to come in then?
Check all the caulking on the slide itself and re-caulk if necessary and inspect the slide seals where it goes in and out of the camper. You didn't say where it was leaking.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:07 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Elanpottery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 29
It seems like it is leaking from water sitting on top of the slide out getting under the weatherstripping and running down the side of the slide out into the house on the floor under the slide
__________________
Elanpottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #6
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanpottery View Post
It seems like it is leaking from water sitting on top of the slide out getting under the weatherstripping and running down the side of the slide out into the house on the floor under the slide
Either adjust the weather stripping or replace it so it fits tighter to the slide on the top and both sides.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:48 PM   #7
Old Member
 
mikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 382
Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
Can't speak from first had experience but all who I have spoken with down here in TX say the toppers are really noisy in the wind. I can't think it would be much different in the rain. I bought my new 2013 w/o toppers. Last 5er didn't have them either, never had any problems either.
__________________
Drivin, Miss Daisey & the boss, Toppi
2018 Berkshire XL40B-380, SFE=244
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:02 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
MotocrossCamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 653
I've never had any problems with mine, i don't think I would ever go without them now. I think it's going to depend on how big your slide is but mine make no noise in the wind. Maybe it's just a class c thing, but the noise from the rain on the roof is worse then the awnings.
There are a 100 stories on here about people who never even knew water was getting in their rv before it was too late, if I can do something to help prevent the possibility of water damage I'm all for it.
__________________
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:06 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Elanpottery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 29
The only area we go to that I think the wind would be a problem is Texas. We are there April and may just outside of Dallas and get some crazy storms while we're there. Thanks for all the info it's something to look into a bit more...
__________________

__________________
Elanpottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
awning

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20 PM.