Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2019, 12:20 PM   #1
JnK

Slide Out / Axles

We have a 2018 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 273qbxl. It’s at the dealer with two issues and we’re looking for feedback. First issue: the bottom right corner of the slide out is not securing tight when closed. Dealer says it’s a manufacturers issue / factory defect. (The 2017 they tried to sell us had the same issue and we didn’t accept it on delivery day) They also had a 2016 at their dealer with the same issue. Everyone says Forest River should take responsibility but nobody wants to cover it ($2400). Second issue: the axels were checked and found to be out of camber (defective) from the factory. Lippert has agreed to replace both axels, free of charge. Nobody wants to cover the ($1400) labor cost. We’ve only owned the camper since July of 2017, purchased the best aftermarket warranty available and are at a loss for words that almost everything is not covered. We love the camper, it’s such a shame we’re dealing with this. Any suggestions? Thanks
JnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JnK View Post
We have a 2018 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 273qbxl. It’s at the dealer with two issues and we’re looking for feedback. First issue: the bottom right corner of the slide out is not securing tight when closed. Dealer says it’s a manufacturers issue / factory defect. (The 2017 they tried to sell us had the same issue and we didn’t accept it on delivery day) They also had a 2016 at their dealer with the same issue. Everyone says Forest River should take responsibility but nobody wants to cover it ($2400). Second issue: the axels were checked and found to be out of camber (defective) from the factory. Lippert has agreed to replace both axels, free of charge. Nobody wants to cover the ($1400) labor cost. We’ve only owned the camper since July of 2017, purchased the best aftermarket warranty available and are at a loss for words that almost everything is not covered. We love the camper, it’s such a shame we’re dealing with this. Any suggestions? Thanks

Are you saying that someone wants $1400 to replace 2 axles? I think that a couple guys could do that job in a few hours if they're willing to send complete assemblies. As for the slide not securing tight- what type of gap are we talking here?
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:56 PM   #3
JnK

The dealer said the axel company (I believe Lippert) took responsibility for replacing the (parts) defective axels but don’t want to pay the dealers labor charge of $1400. As far as the gap, it’s seperating on the bottom six inches or so (two bottom screws). The dealer has seen this on the same model in 2016, 2017 and now ours (2018), so far. It sounds like Forest River needs to look st the structural defect during the original build. The dealer wants $2400 to repair the manufacturer defect and nobody wants to cover that either. We purchased a platinum warranty but they say neither issue is covered...
Old 03-27-2019, 01:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JnK View Post
The dealer said the axel company (I believe Lippert) took responsibility for replacing the (parts) defective axels but don’t want to pay the dealers labor charge of $1400. As far as the gap, it’s seperating on the bottom six inches or so (two bottom screws). The dealer has seen this on the same model in 2016, 2017 and now ours (2018), so far. It sounds like Forest River needs to look st the structural defect during the original build. The dealer wants $2400 to repair the manufacturer defect and nobody wants to cover that either. We purchased a platinum warranty but they say neither issue is covered...

It's possible they don't want to pay for the labor because it's way too high. If they're sending complete axle assemblies with hubs, brakes, etc, you're talking about lifting and supporting the camper, removing all 4 wheels and tires, disconnecting 2 brake wires, removing 4 nuts from the u bolts on each side of each axle and then reversing the process. At $1400, they're charging for probably around 12 hours of labor- which seems, once again, way too high. Pictures of the slide issue would be helpful.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 01:28 PM   #5
D W

Having a hard time understanding. Are you saying that your "platinum warranty" doesn't cover anything? Or, will it just not totally cover the dealer's charges?
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 01:57 PM   #6
Commercial Member

JnK,

Thank you for being a part of the Salem family.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconveniences that you have experienced with your new Cruise Lite. Your satisfaction is very important to us; accordingly, we invite you to contact Miranda Blackburn in our Customer service department through the following personalized and direct link: Forest River RV Direct Service Contact - Forest River, Inc..

This direct link is provided for your convenience in order that we may resolve your concerns as quickly as possible. We will strive to respond to you within 24 hours of receiving your correspondence.

Respectfully,
Forest River
ES_FR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 02:04 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I don't believe your dealer is doing you any favors.
$1400 to replace two axles (not axels) is way too high in labor cost.
It isn't any wonder no one wants to pay that exorbitant amount and there is no way you should consider paying it either!

Without seeing the slide or the gap we are simply guessing but they can be adjusted.

Since FR has stepped in, see what they have to say.

A note on extended warranties... you are not the first to complain the VERY EXPENSIVE extended warranty didn't cover much.
It is often good to get a copy of the 'fine print' and read it for a couple days BEFORE purchasing.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 02:35 PM   #8
D W

I agree with 5picker. Let's see what FR will do for you.

Coincidentally, I ran into my dealer at lunch (personal friend). I was telling him about this dilemma. While he couldn't comment on the extended warranty he did say that it appears this dealer is trying to fleece the customer.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 03:03 PM   #9

I am NO expert, but this smells like a dealer problem to me too.

Please let us know how it turns out.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 03:09 PM   #10
JnK

Reply to all

After several phone calls, trying not to take it out on the person answering the phone, Lippert admitted to defective axles and are sending the dealer two new ones. Also, after speaking to a nice lady in customer service, the warranty company agreed to pay the dealer the four hours labor to replace the axles. I’m still waiting on a call back from the dealer to find out what the $1400 quote was for, since the cost of labor is only $480. As far as the slide out gap goes, the dealer stated that it’s a fastener failure. The dealer and warranty company both agree that Forest River should take full responsibility and that there’s probably many more units out there with the same issue. I’ve contacted Forest River via telephone and email, hoping to get a positive outcome. Just like witn a vehicle, if this is a known defect, it should be considered a recall. Even so, I can’t imagine $2400 to repair a small gap approximately an inch wide and six inches from bottom corner up (two bottom screws come loose). I know labor is $120 an hour. Thanks for everyone’s feedback.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:17 PM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

That is encouraging news.
Best of luck to you and keep us posted.

Old 03-27-2019, 03:38 PM   #12
JnK

Reply all

I will and hopefully with a positive outcome. Thanks.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:13 PM   #13
JnK

Just wanted to post an update in regards to the axles and slide out. Lippert sent the dealer two new axles (after realizing the originals were out of camber) and after a few phone calls, our warranty company decided to cover the labor cost of $480.00 to install the two axles. As far as the slide out goes, after several phone calls and emails (partially thanks to this forum), the slide out was repaired by the dealer and fully covered by Forest River. All said and done, the dealer had our camper for five weeks and we only paid the $50.00 warranty deductible. In the end, it all worked out and we can’t wait to go on our next trip. Thanks for everyone’s input.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:24 PM   #14
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Great news!
Thanks for the follow up.
Enjoy!

Tags
slide, slide out