Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2016, 03:18 PM   #1
Site Team

Slide-out front panel removal

Ref: 2013 Rockwood 8282WS. The two left cable came off the outside connecting plate of the wardrobe slide and have disappeared behind the rubber flap (seal). The slide out face in the bedroom is too close to the bathroom wall to access behind it to work with the cables. How do you remove the slide out face boards? The top was easy, but I can't find any screws to remove the side boards.
Help...

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 03:51 PM   #2
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Probably stapled on
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 03:54 PM   #3
Left Coast

Stapels usually in deepest crevest on face of moulding
Old 04-13-2016, 10:06 AM   #4
Site Team

Thanks guys. I'll figure out a way to get behind it or take it 60 miles for warranty repair.
Seems there has to be some screws somewhere conecting the wood to the slide out metal frame.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:47 AM   #5
Site Team

OK. I found this video on youtube that, if mine is the same, shows that the facing is most likely stapled (like you said) to another piece of wood (plywood strip), and that strip is screwed to the metal facing. I'll give that a try.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:52 AM   #6
Left Coast

Awhile back I pulled a slide out of a park model to repair the floor and that's how it was assembled

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Old 04-13-2016, 11:34 AM   #7
Left Coast

Just a thought....if you have access to an air operated pin nailer, to reinstall facia, if you hold the nailer at a 30 or 45 degree angle, from bottom angled upward, the pins will never be seen ( or use a stapler)
Old 04-14-2016, 06:01 AM   #8
Scotsman

I have also had this happen to our 2015 Rockwood 5th wheel. The rubber grommets that holed the end of the cables to the slide out are useless. Before I realized that one cable had fallen out of the end it had disappeared into the bedroom slide out. I used zip ties to secure the remaining 3 cables so I could avoid the same thing happing again. As you have found it is a major issue to gain access to the cables that feed out to the end of the slide out. It is really hard to work on the left side because it is so close to the end wall. When it warms up some I will make a better attempt at taking things apart to get to that wire. Everyone needs to look at these cables and make sure that they are securely attached. Zip ties or maybe caulk the ends. If you loose these wires inside the slide out you have a major problem on your hands. Taking the hole slide out apart like in the video is not an option that I want to do. I posted this problem before and unfortunately did not get any really solid ideas as to how to find this cable. There has to be a way. When I get more of the panels off I might be able to find it. Brand new trailer with a flawed system, there has to be a better way. I will update with any new findings. Good Luck.
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:03 PM   #9
Site Team

Thanks Bob. The angle is good to know. I will be using a pneumatic brad nailer to reinstall.

Old 04-14-2016, 02:22 PM   #10
Site Team

I agree. Neither of the the 4 connecting points on mine had the grommet in place. Zip ties sound like a valid option. I'll consider that if nothing more permanent comes to mind. I plan to attack it in a couple weeks. Will post results. Good luck with yours.

Old 04-16-2016, 03:51 PM   #11
Site Team

Nope. Couldn't pry the facing off. Have to take it to dealer to get cables replaced.

Tags
slide, slide out