Old 04-04-2016, 07:15 PM   #1
Slide Out Fuse Blown Last 2 Trips

I have a new 2016 Surveyor 291BHSS TT purchased last fall. Slide out worked fine the first few trips last fall, but the first two trips this year after winter storage, the slide would not extend after I arrived at the campsite. I checked the 30 amp fuse blew (located in the fuse/breaker box inside trailer) and it had blown. After I replaced the fuse, it extended fine and retracted at the end of the trip. But on the next trip, same problem.

I have read on other threads that a low battery can cause the fuse to blow. I checked the 40 amp fuse on my truck which charges the trailer battery and it was fine. I also verified that I was getting power in the 7 pin connector on the truck.

Over the winter, I kept that battery out of the trailer in my garage and on a battery minder. This weekend, I went out and checked the battery voltage not hooked up and it read 12.8 volts and the 30 amp fuse was still good. I had camped a week ago and disconnected the battery while in storage.

I can't recall if I was hooked up to shore power when I extended the slide and it wouldn't work. Would that make any difference? Every thing sounds fine when the slide works so it doesn't appear to be binding anywhere and overstressing the motor.

What would be my next step to find the problem short of taking it back to the dealer which I would prefer not to since we have several trips planned.

sowbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:22 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Not sure if the problem I experienced is the same problem you are having but maybe it can help in your troubleshooting.
A year or so ago, I noticed that one of my slides would come in all the way, as it should, but when I went to extend it (usually the next trip or when I got home to clean it out) the slide would not move. I would check the fuse. In each instance the fuse was blown. I would replace it, and the slide would open just fine. I'd close it up and it would sit for a week or so. When I went to open it, same thing, blown fuse. I replaced the fuse, opened the slide and crawled underneath. I notice that one of the wires that are bundled and travel in and out of with the slide had become chaffed. I wrapped that wire with electrical tape and ran the slide in and out several times. No issues. When I went to the Goshen International Rally in 2013, FR replaced the wiring harness with an new one and re-positioned it so that it was not getting damaged when the slide was ran in or out. Hope this helps.

John & April & "Scout"
2013 Sabre 32RCTS-6
Nights Camped 2013-(44)2014-(59)
Nights Camped 2015-(47)2016-23
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:23 PM   #3
Left Coast
Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Go to Napa and get a automatic resettable type circuit breaker ( fuse)
Bob/Linda, 99 Dodge 2500 Cummins,2010 8280 Rockwood Ultra-lite 5er, PullRite Superglide----- I'm retired......but work part time as a pain in the ass!........... USMC.
bob caldwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:27 PM   #4
I was just having this problem myself. I had all the same symptoms as you did. I ordered a automatic resettable fuse. When I was installing said fuse, I found the problem. The wire attached to the fuse holder was frayed and rubbing on the frame. I could not see this befor I took everything apart to install the fuse. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
crash3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:38 PM   #5
Great suggestions! I will look into these ideas. Thanks everyone.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:06 AM   #6
Head Rambler
Great advice above. Keep in mind that not only weak battery, but also loose connection(s) can cause low voltage and thusly high amp draw that will cause fuses to blow at seemingly random times.
Salem 29RKSS Pushing a 2500 Mega-Cab CTD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:14 PM   #7
It should still be in warranty, Why not take it back to your dealer and have them fix it. I had the same problem on a new Flagstaff. It took them about half an hour to replace a relay (resettable breaker) right behind the battery under the tongue. Have not had a problem since then
vinceigo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:54 PM   #8
Slide fuse

I had a similar issue with my 23ss Roo, but the fuse and breaker in the panel was fine. Come to find out there is an inline fuse under the camper for the slide. The dealer replaced the inlise fuse with a breaker and no issues since then.

The other thought may be that the slide needs to be greased making it easy to slide and reducing draw.
TheGreatWaz00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:39 PM   #9
Had a similar issue with my 5th wheel landing gear after replacing my single 12v with parallel 12v batteries. If I held the retract for even a second after full retraction was achieved, fuse blew. Went with a 30 amp fuse breaker replacement and problem was solved. Probably 6 years ago.
RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:33 PM   #10
Just for a follow-up. During my last trip, the slide worked fine without any fuse issue so I guess I will just watch and see before making any changes. Interestingly though, the manual has the following to say about slide operation:

"We recommend that your RV be plugged into a 120VAC receptacle or have the generator running, during jack and slide out operation. This will help ensure that the battery maintains proper voltage during operation."

FWIW, this last time I moved the slide out before I was hooked up to power.

fuse, slide, slide out