Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2010, 08:56 AM   #1

Slide out intermittently stopping

I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this problem. Over the past couple of months my slides have intermittently stopped when I am moving them in or out. Sometimes it happens once, sometimes a couple of times, sometimes it doesn't happen at all. After it stops I just wait a minute or two, then press the button and continue moving the slides. They are not making any unusual noise, no grinding or groaning. Everything seems smooth, it's almost like I am losing power when it happens. There is only one switch that operates all slides. It doesn't appear to occur at the same place each time. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it.

2007.5 Dodge 3500 Laramie, 4WD, Dually, 6,7L Diesel
2008 Forest River Sandpiper 375QBQ
dd5087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:02 AM   #2

Mine was doing something like that... sometimes it would move when I opened or closed it and sometimes not. Anyway, I discovered that it was just a bad connection. I took the screws out of the "in/out" switch on the wall and pulled it out a little ways. Then, I disconnected and reconnected each of the wires on the back of the switch (they were the slip on kind). Since doing that, I haven't had any problems with it. I guess it was caused by oxidation of the connectors or maybe from the movement of the trailer going down the road.
doctort44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctort44 View Post
Mine was doing something like that... sometimes it would move when I opened or closed it and sometimes not. Anyway, I discovered that it was just a bad connection. I took the screws out of the "in/out" switch on the wall and pulled it out a little ways. Then, I disconnected and reconnected each of the wires on the back of the switch (they were the slip on kind). Since doing that, I haven't had any problems with it. I guess it was caused by oxidation of the connectors or maybe from the movement of the trailer going down the road.
Thanks for the suggestion, I will check out the switch.

Old 07-17-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
Knower of Some Things

You may also have an automatically resetting breaker on your slide out circuit. If you battery is low, it will trip, then cool down & reset itself. Many FR products utilize this feature.
PumaPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumaPro View Post
You may also have an automatically resetting breaker on your slide out circuit. If you battery is low, it will trip, then cool down & reset itself. Many FR products utilize this feature.
Where would this be located, anyone know? I am guessing it should be in the main breaker panel below the fridge.

I wouldn't think this would be my problem as I am continually connected to shore power and my battery is less than 6 months old. I also maintain the water level in the battery.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:54 PM   #6
Knower of Some Things

Per Lippert (the manufacturer of the slideout system), the motors on those can draw over 150 amps. The breaker in the system is probably only abut 50 amp, or it may be faulty. Generally the breakers are located near the battery, not in the breaker panel.
PumaPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:27 PM   #7

I have been having the same problem for months. From everything I've read it is a voltage problem. I replaced the batteries but had no luck. The slides work great when I'm on shore power but not from batteries (even with tow vehicle plugged in). I can hear the relay reset after a couple seconds. I'm going to have to check out the switch connections and maybe do some re-wiring. According to the manual the resetting breaker is within 18" of the batteries. I found mine on the frame near the hydraulic pump (which is behind the batteries).

2005 31' Forest River Cardinal and Honda EU2000
firetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:20 PM   #8

I fixed my problem by replacing the 50amp auto reset breaker. On my trailer, this is located on the bus bar mounted on the wall behind the battery.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:46 PM   #9

Hi Dennis. There isn't any breakers or fuses in the converter panel box. Youwould think that's where the stuff would be, but no. You have to lay down under the tongue area, and there is a junction block/relay that has the battery wires going to it. It also has a small reset button on it. Some have auto- resets, however. There are also fuses (one for each slide out) under there in green plastic fuse covers, open them up, and you should find a 30 amp fuse for the slide out motor. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:11 PM   #10

I had the same problem with the slides on my Forest River Wildcat. The problem was caused by a faulty 50amp breaker. The breaker will reset after it cools down. Replacing the breaker took care of the problem.
tinyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:55 AM   #11

If you have hydraulic slides and are still having the problem......check the ground wire on the electric motor that drives the hydraulic pump. Be sure it is grounded directly to the metal. I had this problem and fixed it with a good ground....don't assume it is good just because the screw is tight...take it off and make sure it is connected to bare metal.
gwjennings is offline   Reply With Quote