Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2008, 06:35 PM   #1

Slide Out Issue

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. We have a 8528RKSS 5th wheel and are in the middle of a 3 week trip. Three times I have had the slide not want respond or move. If I used the manual crank for to begin to move the slide, it will than respond. The last time I just grabbed the motor and giggled it. The Electric motor than responded like it should. Not sure where to start looking. It is like there is a loose ground at the motor, but I don't have any manuals or wiring diagrams for the slide. Very poor documentation on the part of Forest River!

Any help is appreciated. So far I have not had to crank it in and hope to make it though the next 5 moves without having to manually extend or contract the slide.
segel10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:10 AM   #2
Site Team

I'd start by tightening all the bolts and wiring I could get to. If you jiggled the motor with your hand and it started working sounds like the hold down is loose and that could definitely cause a loose ground.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:50 AM   #3

and to add to that, if you can jiggle the motor by hand it might be binding as well causing it to not play nicely
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:26 AM   #4
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
My guess is that, if the motor makes noise when you depress the button, the electrical part is OK and that you should look for a binding problem. If there is no noise, or nothing happens until you jiggle motor, the you have an electrical problem.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:41 PM   #5

UPDATE:
Called FW and since I was going though Millersburg, In on the way home. They said to bring it in and they would look fix it. Problem was a loose connection inside the motor. They fixed that and said that the header beam for the slide was warped and causing it to hang up on retraction. They installed a New header beam that they said was stronger and would provide a better seal. We left it with them and picked it up four ours latter. NO COST - Great Service by the factory people!!!! For all the bad comments I have read about FW, this one is on the Very Plus side.
segel10 is offline   Reply With Quote