Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2015, 01:31 PM   #1

Slide out issue

Well we were ready to leave for a camping trip, camper packed so I went to put the slides in, all went in but one, it makes a rotation noise as if a cotter pin let go and the shaft is turning, I checked and the only cotter pin I see is ok, I inspected and can't see anything unusual, I almost think when it got to the end when I was opening, something let go although I didn't hear anything, maybe it's out too far and the gear won't catch, I purchased last September and only used the camper once so if there was something not adjusted correctly I guess this is when I would see it. I need a suggestion please if I should call the dealer tomorrow and because it can't be towed do they generally send someone out? I imagine it's still under warranty plus I have an extended, I guess this trip is cancelled. Rockwood 2703WS
NOREASTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 02:52 PM   #2

I had a 99 coachmen that did this. It had electric motor. There is a shear pin connecting the motor to the gear shaft. Should be able to punch out the old pin and install a new one. Not that difficult, but a mobile rv tech should be able to get pretty easy. Mine was hard to tell, as all the pieces stayed in there spots until I pulled on the pin. Hope this helps some.
Kenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:48 PM   #3

Thanks, that makes sense, I checked again and don't see any type of shear pin and/or shear bolt, I had someone turn on the switch as I looked at the shaft, the manual rod turns in the opposite side of the motor, I can feel the gear turning all the way to the end of the slide out shaft so maybe it's a shear pin at the end, the only thing I see is possibly a pin at the end that is flush inside the shaft, I think at this point I will have someone come out tomorrow, I don't want to punch out a good pin or something that's not a pin on something that is under warranty and have them say I tampered with it. Thanks for the info I really appreciate it
Old 06-28-2015, 03:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOREASTRV View Post
Thanks, that makes sense, I checked again and don't see any type of shear pin and/or shear bolt, I had someone turn on the switch as I looked at the shaft, the manual rod turns in the opposite side of the motor, I can feel the gear turning all the way to the end of the slide out shaft so maybe it's a shear pin at the end, the only thing I see is possibly a pin at the end that is flush inside the shaft, I think at this point I will have someone come out tomorrow, I don't want to punch out a good pin or something that's not a pin on something that is under warranty and have them say I tampered with it. Thanks for the info I really appreciate it
Which one of your slides is it? They have different assys to bring them (IN/Out) Gear rack on the sides? Gear rack on the Bottom? Need more imput! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 04:12 PM   #5

It's the large dinette slide in the back on the right side, it has a manual crank opposite side of the camper, the manual rod turns when cranked in both directions and does nothing, when the motor is activated electrically the manual rod in one side of the motor turns and I believe the threaded gear rod inside the shaft that goes to the slide out is turning so I'm thinking if there is a shear pin at the shaft almost to the slide out maybe that is sheared. I also think because the manual rod turns electrically on one side of the motor and the shaft turns on the other it's probably not a gear in the motor
Old 07-01-2015, 12:28 PM   #6

Well they came out today and replaced the complete slide out shaft with the spiral gear inside, told me it was a part failure and nothing I did wrong, I have a question for anyone with a camper similar to mine regarding how you use your slide outs, I was told when closing to bring in and let go of the switch immediately when I hear the ratchet sound, I was told it would do the same opening but the tech today said let go just as the seal compresses when oppening. The owners manual states to hold it til it stops which I would imagine means it would ratchet, does anyone open the slides until they ratchet and do you do the same when closing? Thank you for any advice
Old 07-01-2015, 12:37 PM   #7

We have the same slide system as you! We know when the (Ratchet sound starts/but How are you supposed to know when the (Seals are Compressed)? Was he Smiling when he said that? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:47 PM   #8

I looked but he was serious, I think he was refering to the dinette slide out where you can see the inside seal go against the wall, the other one that is not possible, I am a little gun shy after the gear went while doing nothing wrong, he did say he only saw this happen once before and I think he has been doing these repairs for a while, so you wait for the ratchet opening and closing?
Old 08-11-2015, 11:18 PM   #9

I've been reading through numerous threads before starting a new one. This seems to match my "issues". My dining/couch slide suddenly started not going out and/or going in completely - no warning. I have used the manual crank to finish moving it in or out when needed. On other occasions I have walked away for a while and came back to try again with success by using the switch and motor. Tonight I ran the slide out only to have it stop 3/4 of the way out and freeze up. The motor still works but the slide doesn't move. The other frustrating part about tonight's episode is the manual crank will not move it either! Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated. I may have the same issue as NOREASTRV
Old 08-12-2015, 07:10 AM   #10

The issue I had turned out to be the drive shaft that turns to screw the slide in and out, I never had an issue with it stopping or any sign this was going to happen, I put the slide out and a couple days later when attempting to pull it back in the shaft just turned and appeared not to make a connection with the gear. The manual crank turned without engaging, they replaced the long drive shaft to resolve. Let me know if you need more info and good luck
Old 08-12-2015, 09:47 AM   #11

Thanks! I'll call and schedule an appointment today. Sounds like your problem is what I'm experiencing.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:52 AM   #12

My slide out was only opened and closed about 6 times when this happened, I was leaving for vacation, they told me it would have to be ordered, after a little pressure they took one out of a new unit and came to my house to replace

Tags
slide, slide out