Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2016, 04:22 PM   #1
Huntsville TX

Slide Out issue at the bottom

Working on a New to Us 2014 Salem 266RLBS was doing some PM on the slides when I noticed the plastic bottom corner pieces were both cracked and broken. Looking at it, it looks like the main purpose of these plastic pieces is to prevent water form getting in to the bottom of the slide. The unit is only 2 years old and appears not to have been used much yet these 2 items are definitely broken before their time.

My question is this a poor design issue or a plastic product failure? Has any one replaced these before if so I would value your input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5th Slide.jpg
Views:	1907
Size:	258.4 KB
ID:	123695   Click image for larger version

Name:	5th wheel slide 2.jpg
Views:	7588
Size:	279.6 KB
ID:	123696  
Scott936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:00 AM   #2
Always Learning

I'd contact Salem. Explain that you're the second owner and aren't looking for them to fix it, but more so that you need help understanding the pieces of what you're seeing.

Personally, I'm not sure...
Old 10-24-2016, 09:45 AM   #3
Huntsville TX

I looked at it this morning it seems that it ends just past the seal with no attachment points after the seal, so with that being said the plan is to replace the plastic with some aluminum.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:54 PM   #4

I had the same piece failed on my 2011 8288ss and from what I can discern, they serve a dual purpose and are used as weather protectors and also as glides which ride against the ABS block located on the floor of the RV which in turn protect the corner from wear. In my case the plastic corner (or as FR refers to it "underbelly trim") was ripped completely out when pulling the slide in. So it is probably just a matter of time until the same happens to yours.

The fix is fairly straight forward and it just so happens that I just replaced mine today. The hardest part of the process is cleaning and removing the old sealant and gum tape. I bought the part direct from Forest River for $10.52 + S&H. You will also need 1" Butyl tape and some Dicor self leveling caulk. I added a pic of the part for reference.

One note: As you will notice in the pic, the end is tipped up which allows the slide to lift out of the pocket. If you are going to use aluminum you will want to make it so that the metal is bent to accommodate for the needed ski tip.

Hope it helps,
Tom G
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20161024_130725.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	514.8 KB
ID:	123806   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161024_130738.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	521.7 KB
ID:	123807  
tom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:04 PM   #5

The black weave material under your slide is called Darco. It has a tendency to fray along the edges on Forest River products as well as some other SOB's. The plastic angle you show in your photo is the factory "fix" to cover up the fraying and has little to nothing to do with sealing water out of anything. You can buy the kit for your slide out(s) direct from FR. I got mine installed under warranty as my Darco was fraying upon delivery of my new 33IK.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:06 PM   #6

Here is a pic with the trim and metal strap removed. As you can see in the pic, without the plastic in place the under belly flooring material is exposed and would allow water entry.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20161024_152809.jpg
Views:	1153
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	123808  
Old 10-24-2016, 07:39 PM   #7
Huntsville TX

Thanks for the info
Old 10-24-2016, 08:09 PM   #8
WFD

This has been a very common issue in the Rockwoods, and has been discussed a fair bit in this forum about a year ago. For the life of me I can't find the threads in order to provide you with a link. One of the members in here has had to change his a couple times.
Mine is doing exactly the same as yours. Judging by your pics, you don't seem to have the Darco weave material, just like I don't. I was recently quoted about the same price as was mentioned in another post, so inexpensive fix.Given that my unit has 4 pieces like that(2 slides) and given the cheap price I am tempted to order 2 of them because the shipping will likely be the same and I would have a spare.
Tom39....it appears there is a constant pressure from the slide on that piece, so my question is, how difficult is it to remove and to slide the new one in. It doesn't appear to be a moment in the sliding that there is no pressure on that piece.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:26 PM   #9

WFD, I extended the slide about 3/4 of the way out. Then I used a floor jack and a few wooden blocks to distribute the weight to lift the slide about an inch or so. Then the piece slides right in.

Hope it helps,
Tom G
Old 10-24-2016, 09:02 PM   #10
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom39 View Post
WFD, I extended the slide about 3/4 of the way out. Then I used a floor jack and a few wooden blocks to distribute the weight to lift the slide about an inch or so. Then the piece slides right in.

Hope it helps,
Tom G
Interesting...I would not have thought of doing that out of fear of stressing or breaking something. Can you elaborate on how you did that, where you jacked it from.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
Interesting...I would not have thought of doing that out of fear of stressing or breaking something. Can you elaborate on how you did that, where you jacked it from.
With the slide about 30"out and 12" in, I cut 3 pieces of wood from what I had lying around to be used to disperse the concentrated pressure of the jack head. The first piece of wood was a piece of 3/4" OSB that I cut 12"x26". The second piece of wood was a 2x6 and I also cut it to 26" in length. Lastly was a small length or 4x4 that was about 8" long.
I then placed the first 2 pieces of wood flat against the underside of the floor of the slide about 6" from the edge in an upside-down pyramid. Starting with the plywood at the top, then 2x8 then 4x4. (Note that the 4x4 was vertical and was used like a jack post to lessen the distance between the jack and the slide.) I then raised the jack until the slide was lifted. That was it.

One thing to note was that I too thought that the lifting the slide from the floor might cause damage and I even posted it in another thread. But doing it in this manner, which helps disperse the lifting force, had no ill effect.

I should have taken pictures but as usual, I forgot. The next time I have the slide out, I will recreate the situation and post the pic.

Hope it helps,
Tom G
Old 10-24-2016, 10:41 PM   #12

I have a Rottenwood 2608ws. Has anyone had a problem with the wall separating at the bottom of the slide. Can not see any reason it should be doing this just screws coming loose. Looks like they scould have put about 3X the screws that were put in on the floor there are 4 screws to every one on the frame for the bottom of the wall. No quality control.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:09 AM   #13
Huntsville TX

Quote:
With the slide about 30"out and 12" in, I cut 3 pieces of wood from what I had lying around to be used to disperse the concentrated pressure of the jack head. The first piece of wood was a piece of 3/4" OSB that I cut 12"x26". The second piece of wood was a 2x6 and I also cut it to 26" in length. Lastly was a small length or 4x4 that was about 8" long.
I then placed the first 2 pieces of wood flat against the underside of the floor of the slide about 6" from the edge in an upside-down pyramid. Starting with the plywood at the top, then 2x8 then 4x4. (Note that the 4x4 was vertical and was used like a jack post to lessen the distance between the jack and the slide.) I then raised the jack until the slide was lifted. That was it.

One thing to note was that I too thought that the lifting the slide from the floor might cause damage and I even posted it in another thread. But doing it in this manner, which helps disperse the lifting force, had no ill effect.

I should have taken pictures but as usual, I forgot. The next time I have the slide out, I will recreate the situation and post the pic.

Hope it helps,
Tom G
great info i will use your method when i replace... thanks
Old 10-25-2016, 01:32 PM   #14

Underbelly trim

Quote:
I had the same piece failed on my 2011 8288ss and from what I can discern, they serve a dual purpose and are used as weather protectors and also as glides which ride against the ABS block located on the floor of the RV which in turn protect the corner from wear. In my case the plastic corner (or as FR refers to it "underbelly trim") was ripped completely out when pulling the slide in. So it is probably just a matter of time until the same happens to yours.

The fix is fairly straight forward and it just so happens that I just replaced mine today. The hardest part of the process is cleaning and removing the old sealant and gum tape. I bought the part direct from Forest River for $10.52 + S&H. You will also need 1" Butyl tape and some Dicor self leveling caulk. I added a pic of the part for reference.

One note: As you will notice in the pic, the end is tipped up which allows the slide to lift out of the pocket. If you are going to use aluminum you will want to make it so that the metal is bent to accommodate for the needed ski tip.

Hope it helps,
Tom G
Tom,
Could you please give the contact info at Forest River to obtain this part. I have replaced a couple of them but have bought from an RV dealer at about twice the price. I now keep several (L & R) on hand for the next time.
Edmund
Old 10-25-2016, 02:07 PM   #15
Huntsville TX

I just came back for the dealership (Holiday World) all I can say is wow... The poor kid behind the parts counter had no clue even with pictures I brought and all the discussion we had, they want to sell me a side trim on the slide.. Does anyone have a phone number for a dealership that knows what there doing??
Old 10-25-2016, 02:09 PM   #16

Here is the number I use for Forest River Parts Dept (574) 642-2640. Everyone that I spoke with when I called was super helpful and very patient in trying to understand what I needed. One thing you will need for them when you call is that they will ask for the last 6-digits of your RV VIN#.
Just for info, the name of the part they sent for my RV was "Slide out plastic black trim LH angle w/tape 2 1/2 x 43 underbelly trim." The description was for the LH side and the piece had a pn# 10-03354A. Yours may be a different pn# but it should help them understand what you are looking for.

Hope that helps,
Tom G
Old 10-25-2016, 02:24 PM   #17
Huntsville TX

Quote:
Here is the number I use for Forest River Parts Dept (574) 642-2640. Everyone that I spoke with when I called was super helpful and very patient in trying to understand what I needed. One thing you will need for them when you call is that they will ask for the last 6-digits of your RV VIN#.
Just for info, the name of the part they sent for my RV was "Slide out plastic black trim LH angle w/tape 2 1/2 x 43 underbelly trim." The description was for the LH side and the piece had a pn# 10-03354A. Yours may be a different pn# but it should help them understand what you are looking for.

Hope that helps,
Tom G
I just called, your number is a different division then mine but the gave me my division number. I left a voicemail for the guy so hopefully I will get a call today and get the parts coming.. Thnaks
Old 10-25-2016, 02:28 PM   #18

Slideout issue at bottom.

I bought from Coates RV Center (651-488-0234) They are made by Majestic Plastics: Floor angle right black- #0347014411 and Floor angle left black- #0347014311. About $20/each + shipping.

Edmund
Old 10-26-2016, 01:17 PM   #19
Huntsville TX

Todays Update..
So far what I've done and the result..

Went to the dealership where it was purchased talked with parts dept - No Help
Called FR left voice mail - NO Call BACK
Drove the closest FR dealer - Parts lady was helpful found the parts and were getting them ordered as so as are phone tag ends.. I have hope for this parts department..
Old 10-26-2016, 02:02 PM   #20

Good luck with your adventures.

Tags
slide, slide out