Old 04-07-2019, 08:06 PM   #1

Slide out knowledge

So I did some preliminary research on how to retract my slide out manually. (Just in case there is a problem with the motor) Wow, was it confusing and complicated.
I see lots of RVs with slide outs. Do most of those owners know how to retract their slide outs manually. or are they just hoping nothing ever goes wrong with the slide out motor? If you can't retract. You can't go home.

trekkerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 08:40 PM   #2
Now a "Top Member"

I'm in the "hope nothing ever happens" camp. So what did you find for yours? What camper do you have, what makes it so complicated. My old TT was very simple. It came with the rod that you put through a hole under the jacknife sofa to turn in and out. I have nothing like that in my 5th wheel though.

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 10:09 PM   #3

I just bought a 2019 R Pod model 179. When I asked the service tech about the , "What happens if I can't retract?" question he made a face and handed me a slip of paper with a website. The web site was beyond my IQ. Seems like a common question with no simple answer. Lots of slide outs out there.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:55 PM   #4

trekkerman..... could you post that side?? haha I am in the same boat. I want to know how the slide can manually retract, but cannot find the answer I am looking for. Maybe your site could give me an answer?
J8manski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 11:04 PM   #5

I will try and post it tomorrow. You made me feel better that I am not alone in wondering about this issue.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:47 PM   #6

Looking at your unit on-line, it appears you have a Schwintek slide. Here's a video on manual closure, and I've attached some Schwintek manuals for you.

You also need to figure out where they hid the controller. It's often behind a panel that's either screwed shut or may have 2 hinges on one side and 1 hinge on the other, like I have - see pic below - panel on the left side has 2 hinges you can see and one hinge on the left that the arrow is pointing at. You have to remove the screws from the 1 hinge and then the panel will swing open on the other 2 hinges.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabinet #2.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	201178

Here's a pic of the controller:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Slideout control.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	215.7 KB
ID:	201179

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:35 AM   #7
Lacey's Spring, AL

There are a LOT of slide rooms out there in RVing land, and there are many different makes and models from differing manufacturers - but the real truth is that very, very rarely does this type of 'problem' happen. You may be over-worrying about getting 'stuck' somewhere with no options.
Slides like yours are designed to be able to be moved physically, even if the electrical system or motor is not working. When you remove 12v power from the system, you should be able to manually, and physically, push the slide in.

I doubt you'll ever see this issue, though...so go camping, stop worrying, and enjoy.

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 100w/5amps roof SOLAR, BlueOx, 100,000+mi since '14... US, Alaska, and Canada... from W.C. Georgia, then W. North Carolina, now Lacey's Spring, AL : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:39 AM   #8

On my silverback fifthwheel there is a rod that you can crank it In manual. And you can use a Jack handle on the hydraulic unit to get the slides and landing gear down.
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:44 AM   #9
"On the road again"

Send a message via AIM to rjshiflet
But...it can happen!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
There are a LOT of slide rooms out there in RVing land, and there are many different makes and models from differing manufacturers - but the real truth is that very, very rarely does this type of 'problem' happen. You may be over-worrying about getting 'stuck' somewhere with no options.
Slides like yours are designed to be able to be moved physically, even if the electrical system or motor is not working. When you remove 12v power from the system, you should be able to manually, and physically, push the slide in.

I doubt you'll ever see this issue, though...so go camping, stop worrying, and enjoy.

But - it CAN happen.

We were ready for a trip one Sunday morning and my wife went out and opened the bedroom slide for one last addition of clothes. When the slide started coming in, one side stopped and the other side continued.

The bed was crooked and obviously one side of the slide was in farther than the other. One of the Schwintek motors had gone out and WE WERE STUCK.

Fortunately we found a mobile repair guy willing to come out on a Sunday morning, and fortunately he had an extra Schwintek motor. A couple of hours later we were on the road and eventually Forest River paid for the replacement and even sent me an extra motor which I carried for the remaining five years we owned that fifth wheel.

It may be "very, very rare" but it's possible...it can happen!

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Cardinal 3456RLX - '17 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate - DRW w/B&W OEM Companion hitch
Nights Camping 2012 & 2013 & 2014 & 2015 & 2016 & 2017 & 2018: 834 ~ Nights Camping 2019: 75
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshiflet View Post
But - it CAN happen.

We were ready for a trip one Sunday morning and my wife went out and opened the bedroom slide for one last addition of clothes. When the slide started coming in, one side stopped and the other side continued.

The bed was crooked and obviously one side of the slide was in farther than the other. One of the Schwintek motors had gone out and WE WERE STUCK.

Fortunately we found a mobile repair guy willing to come out on a Sunday morning, and fortunately he had an extra Schwintek motor. A couple of hours later we were on the road and eventually Forest River paid for the replacement and even sent me an extra motor which I carried for the remaining five years we owned that fifth wheel.

It may be "very, very rare" but it's possible...it can happen!
From what I've seen those motors are not much more than a window motor and those fail all the time. Granted slides normally don't get used as often.

robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, slide, slide out