Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2015, 09:55 AM   #1

Slide out leaks brand new from factory

So my wife and I bought a 2015 Avenger 27BBS in April this year. We brought it home, parked it, extended the slide-out and started prepping it for a season of lakeside relaxation. It was parked there for 2 months while we added accessories, stocked the pantry and generally made it ours.

Three days ago I was in there doing final inspection and I went to access the storage under the dinette bench to the read of the slide out. I found wet carpet and mold under there. Took a step back and saw warped wood, more mold and rusted screws.

Took it to the dealer yesterday and they found that the seals around the slide out were not properly installed and you could see daylight in the upper rear corner between the slide out and the seals. They also found that the wall, wallboard and some parts of the ceiling structure in the slide out were compromised.

The dealer, General RV is being most accommodating, as I was pretty much ready to give it back and be done with it. My wife is furious, of course. Nobody expects a brand new camper that has never been slept in to become a moldy mess within 3 months of purchase.

Anyone have any similar experiences with the Avenger line? I've read both good and bad in these forums, and it sounds like Prime Time and Forest River are trying to make things right on this kind of thing but now my camping season is shot (6 to 8 weeks for the repairs to be completed and that's with the dealer expediting repairs), I'm out a day's wages to deal with the issue at the dealer, and I'm going to lose a large deposit on our lakeside campsite. Not to mention 40 or 50 hours of my time adding accessories and upgrades to make our camping time easy and trouble free. Any recommendation on how to get in contact with Prime Time or Forest River to state my case and see what they will do to make it right? I want to like this camper but it's too much money to spend for the trouble it's been so far. I would like to see what they will do for me to compensate for my troubles so far.
2015Avenger27BBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:47 PM   #2

Me Too

Cant believe I am reading this post as I have the same problem. Just bought a 2016 Avenger 28DBS on 06/29/2015. Parked it in the backyard, leveled it and let out the slide and began packing it for a camping trip July 7,8,9. Went out today 07/03/2015 after a moderate rain and the left side lower corner of the slide where the carpet is located is soaking wet. Dealer is closed this weekend for Fourth of July. Needless to say I'm pissed. I have no idea how the Northside RV Service Dept in Lexington,KY is but my salesman was great to deal with. I too have camping trips scheduled every week until the kids go back to school. I have to travel 70 miles to dealer with a Nissan Titan's gas consumption. My plan is to call the dealer and try to keep a cool head and be respectful. If I don't get the answers I am looking for I am gonna become a total prick and obtain legal counsel. I am gonna try to be positive and assume they will be helpful. I feel bad for my kids as they were so excited about a new camper as so was I.
BLA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 05:49 PM   #3

Update

Called my salesman on july 4th. He spoke with service dept and they are gonna get me in and said they will replace the seal that morning so we can still go camping. Impressed so far with Northside RV in Lexington,KY. Still curious as to why a brand new camper needs a new seal. Will update you on what I find out this week.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:13 PM   #4

I have 2015 Wildcat Maxx. My slide leaks both front and rear with the slide in. It is at the dealer now. I'm a little nervous because the service writer told me he'd never heard of that before, that if they are going to leak, it's when the slide is out. Mine stays completely dry with the slide all the way out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nights camped 2015....23
Tonkatoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:43 PM   #5

I purposefully looked at new & used TT's in heavy rains & found that new ones leaked whereas the used 2011 Prime Time Tracer we eventually purchased was bone dry... I actually shined a flashlight into access areas & checked for water stains or rusty screws. I also looked to see if dust & sawdust was spread evenly or showed signs of clumping due to being previously wet...

IMO my 2011 was built during the end of the recession by the better workers that held onto their jobs in spite of slow sales... In comparison, unskilled workers are being utilized today to keep up with demand... It shows in the poor fit & finished in all new RVs by all manufacturers... At the last RV show I was not impressed...
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:45 PM   #6

Took it to dealer this morning. They readjusted slide. I can tell now that the seals appear to seal better. Suppose to rain tonight so that will be the true test. Very happy so far with my dealer.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:34 AM   #7

Dealer indicates there is a parts delay from Prime Time. Prime Time contact indicated he would do what he could to expedite the parts to the dealer but I'm experiencing a condition where I don't hear anything from either the dealer or the Prime Time contact without prodding them first. Prime Time says the factory is 2 weeks behind as it is.

Dealer indicates that there is a laundry list of parts to be replaced but I have to remember to ask them if they are replacing the floor of the slideout in addition to the carpet, dinette, and wallboard that was damaged.

It is worth noting that General RV in Mount Clemens, MI has provided me with a used 2013 Cougar with roughly the same layout as the Avenger to use until it is finished repairs. The management there has been very apologetic and sympathetic throughout the process but at this point my wife and I are on the fence on whether we want the unit back. We will likely worry about leaks going forward until we are able to sell it or trade it in on something else. We are considering asking for an even trade with the Cougar, it is a tight unit with most of the same features our unit has, just used. It seems to be on par value wise as a new Avenger, the average used retail on it is around 19K to 21K.
2015Avenger27BBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:09 PM   #8

Sad to hear about the leaks but I'm finding more and more models not just yours are made poorly. I have a 2014 and all three of my slide out walls are getting replaced because of delamination . 2nd trailer we owned that has done this. Not happy camper by any means. I'm sure they will fix your leaks but I think you will forfeit the time wasted.

You would think 30k would get you a quality item but I'm hearing 90k trailers are having similar issues. Very sad and disappointing that the quality is lacking in all trailers.

Hope the hear your problem gets fixed soon .
Eastlake, OH
EastlakeRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:03 AM   #9

we have a new Cherokee 304BH. We have hauled it twice in the rain now and both times the kitchen is soaking wet when we open it up. It is going back to the dealer again for this issue. What we suspect is the issue is that the kitchen slide out is up over the tires and when traveling on the rainy roads it splashes the water up through the slideout. This is frustrating for a brand new camper to open it and have everything wet. Good luck everyone on getting things fixed so we are all happy campers!
unhmom22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:11 AM   #10

I bought a forest river v-lite and mine is back at the dealer now for gasket repair. This was new 2015 in April all of my gaskets were dry rotted. The round part of the gasket was split all of the way up. Good luck to all and happy camping.
rayo11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
factory, leak, slide, slide out