Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2012, 11:21 PM   #1

Slide out of adjustment?

I just picked up my 2013 Salem T26BUDG today and I think the slide needs adjusting. I didn't notice until I got home but with the slide all the way in the inner most surface sits about 2" above the floor of the non-sliding part of the trailer. This can be seen by lifting up the carpet on the sliding portion.

Is this what the two large adjustment screws extending downward from the end of the slide are for? I can just go back to the dealer but if it's easy I'm fine tackling it myself. I'd also just like to know how to do it for the future.

The only other things wrong so far is the table top is the wrong size and one of the window shades is too short. Neither a big deal. Overall, I'm pleased with the build-quality and overall product. Of course, I haven't really used it yet.

mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:28 PM   #2

Why don't you take it back to the dealer and see what they think. If it needs adjustment let the experts do it as per Forest River Warranty.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:48 PM   #3

As I said in my OP.... I'd like to know how to do it myself. 3 years from now when it happens again I can't take it back to the dealer. And, fwiw... It doesn't look like the "experts" got it right in the first place.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:58 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't touch it. Many post on here about torn flooring from slides. It's not supposed to be close to the floor when in, you don't camp in it that way. Changing those bolt heights on the outer edge, will change the angle when out, and may cause it not to seal, and therefore leak.

As for doing it yourself, probably a Lippert frame and slide. Look them up on the internet. They have directions. Proceed at your own risk.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:57 PM   #5

Thanks windrider your search idea got the answer I had been meaning to find. Why does the non-powered side of the slide not go in as much as the powered side. There is a simple adjustment to synchronize the sides on the non-powered side...2 bolts should not throw any thing out of adjustment, besides close it all the way. Page 14 of PDF

http://www.eco-rv.com/scripts/pdfretail/get.php?id=366

HC
TST 507RV TPMS
MaxBrake BC
HemiCab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:28 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
I just picked up my 2013 Salem T26BUDG today and I think the slide needs adjusting. I didn't notice until I got home but with the slide all the way in the inner most surface sits about 2" above the floor of the non-sliding part of the trailer. This can be seen by lifting
up the carpet on the sliding portion.
If the outside flange around the slide is in tight and even at the top and both sides, the slideout is aligned properly. You don't want the slide-room floor contacting the other floor.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:24 AM   #7

mtofell; while I have a Rockwood it's still forest river. My slide does the same thing when in. What it is is that the top of the slide is coming in contact with the trl wall 1st then the rest of the slide is snugging up and sealing itself to the side of the trl. The slide out itself will tip up at the bottom in order to get a tight seal on the outside seals. It's just the slide sealing itself to the trl.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:33 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell
I just picked up my 2013 Salem T26BUDG today and I think the slide needs adjusting. I didn't notice until I got home but with the slide all the way in the inner most surface sits about 2" above the floor of the non-sliding part of the trailer. This can be seen by lifting up the carpet on the sliding portion.

Is this what the two large adjustment screws extending downward from the end of the slide are for? I can just go back to the dealer but if it's easy I'm fine tackling it myself. I'd also just like to know how to do it for the future.

The only other things wrong so far is the table top is the wrong size and one of the window shades is too short. Neither a big deal. Overall, I'm pleased with the build-quality and overall product. Of course, I haven't really used it yet.

The slide is fine as long as when its in its sealing on top and sides.
Just go camping!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:43 AM   #9

Agree with the above. What you are describing is perfectly normal.
2008 F-250 Lariat 4x4 6.4 Powerstroke
Firestone Ride-Rites w/cab control
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:06 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

X3. I think you're fine, too.

When my slide is fully in it will sit slightly above the main floor. That is so it will be flush with your main floor when fully extended.

I've heard these called flat-floor slideouts—where the slideout mechanism is engineered to make the slideout floor at the same level as the main RV floor once the slideout is fully extended outward. However when the slideout is retracted, its floor is meant to be above the main RV floor.

But, if you think it's higher than you believe it should be in your unit, take it in or take pictures and send them to your service manager to confirm.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:22 AM   #11

I would rather have 2 inches of clearance between the slide floor and the carpet, than have the slide rip out the carpet because it was too close!
DonG is offline   Reply With Quote