Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2018, 08:16 PM   #1
TRR

Slide-out plastic runners cracking from age.

I have a Forest River Rockwood Windjammer 3065W that we purchased in 2011 with three slide-outs. We have owned bumper-pull travel trailers since 1974. So we have been through many models and by far this is our favorite trailer. However, with each trailer eventually, you encounter new problems.

This Christmas season, after having the trailer parked for about four months, we decided to open it up and do some maintenance. When I opened the slides I noticed what appears to be a plastic runner left on the carpet on the bedroom slide. Today, I inspected all the slides and noticed the plastic from the bottom of each slide is cracking and in three of the six cases damaged. The plastic serves as the frictionless track that glides over the carpet. If not fixed I suspect it will do damage and get worse. I am guessing this is from aging. The black plastic is cracking and broken. I suspect I will have to replace the bottom plastic and to do so will require removing each slide in turn and removing the old and replacing it with the new.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and had it repaired? I look forward to reading the responses.

Terry - De Leon Springs, Florida
TRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:19 PM   #2

Lots of people have read your post, and as you see no responses. That's because we are all thinking. Man that sucks, that is going to be a heck of a repair.

Wish you luck, please let us know how things go.

Be traveling through your area heading to Panama City Beach in few weeks, Red and Speck fishing in March.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:53 AM   #3
TRR

Rich, thank you for the response.

It is a puzzle. Given all three show cracking, wear and some breakage I would think this is a common experience. My first indication of a problem is when the plastic runner under the bathroom side of the bedroom remained on the carpet in the room after the room slide out. I puzzled over what it was for a while.

The time when I opened the trailer to use it as overflow lodging I noticed some of the black plastic runner on the ground from one of the front slides. I looked more closely and realized what was happening.

I suspect if it has happened to me, it will likely happen to others and at an increasing rate, assuming it is associated with age.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:51 PM   #4

Slide-out plastic runners cracking from age.

Our Silverback has white Teflon strips instead of the black plastic. While plastic can last forever it can get brittle with age, certainly sounds like that may be the case.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crack, slide