Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2012, 11:11 PM   #1

Slide out problem

This is my first rig with slide outs. I have a 2007 Forester 2940 with two slideouts. It has a Lippert Electrical slide mechanism. Second time out the table slide out quit working. The motor runs fine but it doesn't move the slide. With some effort you can by hand pull it out and push it in but it doesn't lock in place. I'm thinking the horizontal front to back is out of adjustment. The gap between the forward edge of the slide and the frame is about an inch the back is about 3 inches. I think the whole slide needs to be moved back. Trying to get it back home the slide slid out twice on it's own as I rounded corners. A bit scary.

Any advice on how to fix would be appreciated.
Phila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:08 AM   #2
2012 Solera

Ugh! If you check my slideout posts in the Solera section, you will see my similar (but somewhat different) problem - also a Lippert electric slideout mechanism. From my experience with my unit, I suspect your slideout motor is no longer mechanically connected to the slideout - pin failure, gear failure, as in my case motor mount and drive shaft failure , etc - net result is slideout is "free-wheeling".
My Solera came with two white poles - a couple of feet long each - to put betweern the slideout and the wall of the motorhome (inside the motorhome, on top of the slideout) to prevent slideout self-deploying. Not sure if you have anything similar - but I'll bet you can ad-lib something that will work - a couple of 2X4s maybe?

Good Luck
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:10 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I've never done this adjustment so I'm going by the book here...

Horizontal adjustment
1. Loosen 2 carriage bolts “A” on each bracket located at the end of each guide tube.
2. Room is ready to be positioned horizontally by pushing on the outside, sidewall or by using a prying devise inserted into the opening between the room and coach.

Pages 9-11 of the manual will explain more on how to conduct the horizontal adjustment.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #4

Folks,
Steve from Colorado here. Hope to help or be helped with exchanging information on here. I also have a slide out problem. BRAND NEW 2012 288BHS, got it home after camping for 6 days, tried to open slide out but only one side works. Found the module under the fold out couch and has two lights going. Red and Green. Both are flashing. On working side the green is flashing, on the side not working the red light is flashing. All wires are plugged in. Checked fuse panel and slide out fuse is a 30 amp fuse. Must be working because one side is working. Can't take it to service people until Monday, would like to get it working before then if possible. Thanks in advance for any replies. Much appreciated and take care...
Steve from Colorado
scalicea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
2012 Solera

Steve - Sounds like a very different slide out from the one on my Solera 24S Motorhome. I think Forest River typically uses Lippert for their slide out mechanisms - and Lippert posts a fairly comprehensive set of manuals on line - try Slide-Out Owners Manuals (or Google Lippert) - maybe you can recognize your mechanism from among these and get an idea of what to try -
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:15 PM   #6

youtube has several vidoes for both the original slide out mechanism and the new schwintek. i suggest you look at them. i found them quite informative
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #7

JLeising,
Thank you very much for the link to the owners manuals for the slide outs. I did find a manual for mine, however, I was not successful in getting it to extend. The manual had a nice description of the flashing lights, which you have to count how many times each light flashes to tell which code it is "throwing". It suggested to unplug both sides of the controller to hopefully "release" the electric motor, but no success. So instead of losing my mind trying to figure it out, I took it to the service department this morning.
On a side note, becasue it is so brand spanking new, the slide out components are newer than the recent ones and the service department has had LITTLE experience in fixing them. SO... should be interesting. I even forwarded them the link you sent me so they could have a reference. Hopefully it will help them out. All in all, I already like this forum! Talking with like minded people that are in need of help or wanting to help can sure make a person's day when some solutions are reached. Thank you again for your help and from gerrym51 as well. I did find a youtube video for what to do when the slide out is stuck and won't come in! Take care all and I will be in touch...

Steve in Colorado
scalicea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #8

I have a 2004 grand surveyer GS29S. I tried to bring in my slide and it stops 1/2 way in. The motor stops at that point and won't pull it in. I have heard there should be a manual crank but i don't know where it is. Can anyone help me with this. The trailer is at the lake and i can't bring it home the way it is.
Thanks Rod
RMAC is offline   Reply With Quote