Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2010, 05:32 PM   #1

Slide out problem

I have a Flagstaff 831 FKBSS with 2 slides. In a rush to open the slides after a recent trip, I tried to open the main living room slide but after it would barely move, I found that I forgot to remove the travel bars. After removeing the bars, I then tried to operate the slide but nothing as if there is no power to the slide. I checked the fuse panel and circuit breakers but did not find anything that pertains to the slide and all fuses and breakers are OK. The rear slide works as always. Can anyone tell me if there is a reset button somewhere on the motor or elsewhere or did I burn out the motor? Thank you in advance for any help...Don
Old 07-07-2010, 06:25 PM   #2

Hi Don, On Flagstaff slideouts, there is a green fuse holderone for each slide) with a 30 amp fuse inside. Look underneath on the frame at the tongue area- you'll see wires there along the inner frame, and you should spot the inline fuses there. I blew my main slide out fuse, and searched for it until I found the little bugger!! This should put you back in business. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:25 AM   #3

Thank You

Thank you Randy, your reply was right on the money. I was able to track the wire and locate the 30 amp fuse. Yes, It was blown but I always carry extra fuses of various types so I was good to go. Again, Thank you for your help!...Don
Old 07-24-2010, 12:29 PM   #4

my fuse blows if i leave it in but otherwise the slide works fine. i have 13.68 volts (trickle charge voltage at my fuse) is this normal? does this circuit serve any other purpose? anyone with a schematic of the electrical systems?

baldy
baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:31 PM   #5

I have a 2002 forrest river cardinal my slides ar beeping and wont come in?
ribbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:24 PM   #6

not sure how this works, but here goes...we have a sandpiper 2006 5th wheel, and it, too will not slide out. is the fuse solution the same for this one? motor ratchets, but just won't move.
catschaefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:41 PM   #7

What do you mean by "motor ratchets"? If the motor is recieving power to make it move at all, then the fuse isn't the problem . If the slide is a "superslide", meaning a large slide, it uses 2 motors to operate it. If both motors are trying to turn, then chances are you have something in a bind. If one works but not the other, it will quickly get in a bind, and not work. Mine got in a binding problem because the carpeting came loose at the leading edge, and basically rolled itself up under the slide "box", lifting the whole thing up and stopping any farther movement out. I could move it back in, and it worked. Had to re- tack the carpeting, and it was good. One other thing...I'm not sure whether or not Sandpiper's have electric (motorized) slide outs. or hydraulic fluid operated. If hydro powered, some of this may not apply to yours. Good Luck, Randy
Old 04-11-2011, 04:00 PM   #8

Unhappy slide out won't move

Quote:
Originally Posted by catschaefer View Post
not sure how this works, but here goes...we have a sandpiper 2006 5th wheel, and it, too will not slide out. is the fuse solution the same for this one? motor ratchets, but just won't move.
thanks for the hint... but the slide is for the dining/living area, so don't know if it is a superslide. by ratcheting I mean it sounds like it's supposed to work, either in or out but won't move. whole camper is 30 ft if that helps. was going to take to dealer, but with weekend coming would rather be camping, and they said it would be 2 weeks before they could get to it!!!!
catschaefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:28 PM   #9

Sorry catschaefer! To clarify, a Superslide is generally a large slide out, 8 ft. or wider. Also, I would send an assistant under the unit to see what happens when the slide out button is pushed. On mine, you can see the 2 motors and the bars with teeth on them that the motor gears mesh with to operate the slide out room. But, as I said previously, yours MAY be hydraulic; in which case fluid and pumps/hoses are used to operate the slide out bars, as many 5er's are. Just need to crawl under and see for yourself which system you have. Good Luck, Randy
Old 04-12-2011, 07:22 AM   #10
Site Team - Lou

I think you are talking about the gears when you talk about 2 motors.

There is only ONE motor on each slide and a transfer bar between the two nylon gears that run the slide in and out on the large toothed "RACK" that holds the slide.

To "save the motor" when the slide does not move and you try to run the motor anyway (this happens when you reach full travel in or out) the nylon wheels "HOP" on the toothed rack. That is the "ratcheting" sound you hear. Do this enough and the nylon teeth wear or break off.

Worn enough, the slide will not move. The nylon gear teeth will just grind away in one spot making that ratcheting noise.

What can also cause that ratcheting sound is:

Stuck slide seals:

1) Ice on seal "glues" slide to wall.
2) tree sap on open seal "glues" slide to wall when closed

Obstruction:

1) Cabinet door open and catching slide trim
2) Slide Travel bar installed
3) Forgot ice chest under slide when closing
4) Hit power/water pedestal with slide and keep trying to open
5) Item jammed between slide trim and wall when opening

Let that slide ratchet long enough with any of these conditions and you will have rounded or broken nylon gear teeth.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbons View Post
I have a 2002 forrest river cardinal my slides ar beeping and wont come in?
don't understand the beeping, what abt ur hydrolic fluid? could be low. when u add, do just a little. when they are in, bring the hydrolic oil the the correct level. if u add when they are out, the resivor will overflow when u put them back in. does no harm just makes a mess. (hydrolic resivor is part of the pump located above the bat.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:19 AM   #12

catschaefer, check your battery connections. Make sure that the black wire is on the positive terminal and the white on the negative. Had that happen to a fellow camper who took his battery out to get charged and hooked it up backwards, and the slide would just ratchet. Good luck
nycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:30 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycamper View Post
catschaefer, check your battery connections. Make sure that the black wire is on the positive terminal and the white on the negative. Had that happen to a fellow camper who took his battery out to get charged and hooked it up backwards, and the slide would just ratchet. Good luck
The white negative wire should go to the frame. Not the battery. It can be on the same frame screw as the battery ground but should never be to the battery top.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:56 PM   #14

Hi herk7769. On my Flagstaff, the tongue mounted battery has a black neg. wire, and a WHITE pos. wire. No red wire at all. Also, on my Flagstaff there IS TWO motors on the large slide, and one motor on the bedroom slide. I've been under there enough times, because my galley drain is under the big slide out. I guess it's because of the size of the slide out unit, and it's heavier weight. Not all campers are created equally, apparently!! Randy
Old 04-12-2011, 06:03 PM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08flagvlite View Post
Hi herk7769. On my Flagstaff, the tongue mounted battery has a black neg. wire, and a WHITE pos. wire. No red wire at all. Also, on my Flagstaff there IS TWO motors on the large slide, and one motor on the bedroom slide. I've been under there enough times, because my galley drain is under the big slide out. I guess it's because of the size of the slide out unit, and it's heavier weight. Not all campers are created equally, apparently!! Randy
It is true. I learn something new every day.

I wonder how they synchronize the output of two motors. If one turns faster than the other the slide will cock. (Lou scratches his bald head) This is assuming they are both electric and not hydraulic motors.

As to the wires; I still can't figure out how they wired anything. Color codes don't seem to mean much in the industry. "Woody" just seems to grab whatever is on the floor and seems long enough.