Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #1

Slide Out Problem With 2001 Rockwood

New to the forum, so this is my first post. I have a 2001 Rockwood 26 ft trailer with a small couch slide out. The trailer has been sitting up for about 2-1/2 years, and of course some things aren't all working correctly. The slide out mechanism is electric, but nothing happens when I push the out button -- no noise whatsoever. I was able to manually crank out the slide, but no where in the travel could I get the motor to run (either in or out). I opened up the panel underneath the couch to access the motor mechanism, and checked the inline fuse -- it was good. I also checked the switch both connected and disconnected. I had 12V on one set of the wires but not the other. The switch when unconnected did make on both in and out.

What should I try next to troubleshoot ? I did see limit switches for the in and out travel, but don't have a wiring diagram to look at. Any tips on which terminals to try to check for power ? There is also a black box that has four screw lugs. There is 12V power to the middle two lugs. How would one tell if the motor is still good ?
mecsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

There should or may be a resetable breaker near the battery.
Have you checked the 12 v fuses in the distribution panel?

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:52 PM   #3

Nice if you can get a schmatic of the system I had similar set up in 14 ft slide. The black box in mine was a current sensing Torque switch. It opened a reversing relay when the slide reached open or closed setting. There's two devices you can find and troubleshoot. Meanwhile you can open both motor leads and apply 12volt direct with a jumper, temp connect only. Reverse leads to check motor direction.
My bet is failed torque or relay, not much to go on, but like horseshoes should be close!
Best to move it out part way by hand before applying power, there will be no motor protection when you "bump" it with direc power.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #4

Is your battery up to snuff or are you only seeing 12 volts from the converter. Unless the battery is hooked up you don't have enough power to drive the motor.
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:12 PM   #5

My battery is pretty old and on the weak side. However, I did have it plugged in to shore power when I was trying to move the slide. The next time I have my multimeter out, I'll check the voltage at the connections to make sure it is over 12V.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #6

This test needs to be while under a load (trying to move the slide). A slide motor draws a lot more then the convertor can supply. Thats why I suggested you check your battery before tearing wiring apart.
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:27 PM   #7

Its probably a 90% chance your battery is the problem ! Just checking the voltage is worthless . You need to load test it . Many (actually most ) trailers will not operate their slide outs with out a GOOD battery .If you can't load test it yourself then remove it from the coach and take it to any auto supply store . Most will load test it for free . It also could be that your converter (on board battery charger ) is not working . But the battery is the place to start. Jim
FarmerJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #8

Just a quick check, if the converter output fuse is larger than slide cable fuse, then the converter should drive the motor easily, it does the opposite direction right? Not sayin the battery is good just that converter should drive it. Fuse rating is up to 50% higher than real system draw.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:15 AM   #9

slide out

did you look for a reset button on the motor
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Just a quick check, if the converter output fuse is larger than slide cable fuse, then the converter should drive the motor easily, it does the opposite direction right? Not sayin the battery is good just that converter should drive it. Fuse rating is up to 50% higher than real system draw.
In many trailers the slide will NOT work with out a GOOD battery in the unit ! Seen this many times . I know the converter puts out 12 volts but it still won't work in MANY cases . Seen it time and again . Jim
Old 02-07-2013, 01:50 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerJim View Post
In many trailers the slide will NOT work with out a GOOD battery in the unit ! Seen this many times . I know the converter puts out 12 volts but it still won't work in MANY cases . Seen it time and again . Jim
Not enough amps.
And to further your comment.
It will most likely fry your converter sooner than later .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #12

f1100turbo is absolutely right ! If you continue trying to work the slide without replacing (or charging?) the battery this will happen! You will fry your converter . Jim
Old 02-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #13

You could try plugging into the TV. Last summer when our converter stopped working and the batteries were down the slid would not work. Plugged 7 way plug at TV slide went in no problem.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:21 PM   #14

Great advice about the battery. I wouldn't have thought that could be the problem, but it does make sense. I'll try a different battery, the TV plug/cable, or jumper cables from the truck to the battery. I'll also see if there is a reset breaker on/around the motor. Thanks to all for the comments.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #15

Slide motor.

We seem to have a concensus but I rremain confused. Why is it a check probably 20 s/o motors for sale on E-bay and other sites and the general average of current draw is 15-25 amps. Most converters are 45-75 amps, gotta believe they can handle enough power for a small slide test. I've seen some people run without a battery on shore power. BTW my own electrical experience ranged from .7 volt PCB boards to 2,300VAC propulsion motors and generators. DC motors don't pull the high startup current that AC motors draw (AirCond, big A/C motors draw 5X starting current) etc. The s/o motors aren't alot larger than a heavy duty battery drill. Just wonderin.....