Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2010, 11:16 AM   #1

Slide-out problems

After or fourth trip out for this year.....we had / have our first real issue.

Upon packing up to leave the camp site we went through our normal take down routine.

While outside I observed our slide had not closed to a complete seal on the top. We hit the electric switch / heard the motor.but no movement on the top.

Re-opened the slide check to make sure nothing was on top of the slide to prevent it from closing.......re-closed it again .....and more of a gap.

Opened it again ...all the way......had my wife watch from inside this time ( ours is the 26RLSS).....the two chairs in the rear are placed in front of the rear door for travel.....so we normally stand on the steps while closing the slide.

Well the slide was / is grabbing and pulling the carpet while closing causing the carpet to fold backwards and "RIPPING THE CARPET". Re-opened it again and used a flat piece of fiberglass to push back the carpet while we slowly closed the slide.......STILL A GAP approx. 1'' on top.

I guess if there is good news it's only four months old......and still under warranty

Problem is .......my dealer is approx 100 miles away....

I made some calls and will be bringing it to Giant Rec World in Ormond Beach on Wednesday who is now also a Forest river dealer ......

Just need it back by June 17 th...........already have reservations at Anastasia S/P !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:58 AM   #2

My Flagstaff V lite did basically the same thing- on mine, the carpet was not tacked down sufficiently, and the way the slide out operates is that it rides on top of the carpet, basically dragging or pushing the room, having to go up a ramp on the bottom once fully extended. To close the room it goes up about an inch, then retracts to a close. You would be able to notice this on the outside. And, when the carpet rolls up underneath, it raises even worse! When opening, it opens to almost fully open and at the very end it drops down to make it a flat transition on the inside floor from camper floor to slideout floor. I was very fortunate that mine did not rip the carpet very much at all, and my tech guy was able to re stretch the carpet, tack it down much better, and now life is good again. It sounds like this is the problem on yours, as well. We just got back from Hanna Park campground here in Jax on the beach. GREAT weekend!! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote