Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2016, 04:17 AM   #1

Slide out quit

So many questions regarding slide outs but easier to just ask.
slide out will not move. There is a grinding noise as if the motor is trying to move the slide out but no movement. Same motor noise when slide all way in and you go to far. Not even sure if it has a manual way to slide out. Out of town working, wife was telling me about it. Going home this weekend to look. Thanks
Racer310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:58 AM   #2
Site Team

RV model number helps a lot. We don't know if it hydraulic or electric; schwintek, LCI, venture, etc. If it has one motor or two, etc., etc..

Since it's making a grinding noise it's probably the gearbox, but could be a pinion or rack gear. Hard to say without knowing a little more about it.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:15 AM   #3

Thanks, I just know it is a chaparral Lite. Will be home this weekend to get more info.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer310 View Post
So many questions regarding slide outs but easier to just ask.
slide out will not move. There is a grinding noise as if the motor is trying to move the slide out but no movement. Same motor noise when slide all way in and you go to far. Not even sure if it has a manual way to slide out. Out of town working, wife was telling me about it. Going home this weekend to look. Thanks
Check your battery charge level....

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:13 AM   #5

Thanks will do.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:20 PM   #6

Also could be a rock or pebble stuck somewhere in the tracks or underneath the floor. Or something obstructing movement causing the motors to grind - you know, a kid's toy or a dog bone.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 05-06-2016, 02:50 PM   #7

Is it out or in right now? If it's out, push on it hard and then try again. It may have gone too far. I've seen that happen before.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:27 AM   #8

Removed the belly and found that the 2 brackets holding the slide motor was bent. There are 2 tits that stick out of the motor slide that the brackets hold on too, well 1 of the tit had broken off which tells me the wife or daughter is holding the in/out button too long. Once I hand held the motor slide bar the slide worked in/out without issues. So now I bent the brackets back and have to find a welder to weld the little tit back on the motor slide bar--I guess that is how you would describe it. Out of town this week working so will have to check if it is metal vs aluminum.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer310 View Post
Removed the belly and found that the 2 brackets holding the slide motor was bent. There are 2 tits that stick out of the motor slide that the brackets hold on too, well 1 of the tit had broken off which tells me the wife or daughter is holding the in/out button too long. Once I hand held the motor slide bar the slide worked in/out without issues. So now I bent the brackets back and have to find a welder to weld the little tit back on the motor slide bar--I guess that is how you would describe it. Out of town this week working so will have to check if it is metal vs aluminum.

Typically the instructions say to hold the button for 2-3 seconds after opening or closing when there are full motors to keep them in sync. Not sure if you have duals.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 05-13-2016, 12:56 AM   #10

Shouldn't there be a limit switch to protect from over extension or retract?

Tags
slide, slide out