Old 06-16-2013, 11:43 PM   #1

Slide out rollers

Our 2nd trip out and I notice " scratch" marks on the under side of the slide out... Further investigation showed me that 2 of the rollers are causing this drag mark.
Is this needed immediate attention to prevent further damage or can the deal service this at the end of summer?
Or would it be easier to loosen the rollers and adjust them now to avoid any further issues ?

Old 06-25-2013, 08:28 PM   #2

@ "Turtle people": I found your PM after finding this post. Now we have to establish IF you are talking about the same roller problem that I have had, and hope I have corrected. My unit: 2005 FR Grand Surveyor with slide containing the sofa and kitchen, eleven (11) feet long. My understanding is that my slide unit mechanism is called the "under sofa" style and is manufactured by Lippert Industries/Company/something as most of them are. This slide mechanism is a piece of crap IMO. Just take if from me, I have the background to say this. On my unit there are two (2) sets of rollers known as "Lippert J-4 roller assembly (Lippert J-4 Roller Assembly) for reference. These roller assemblies are designed so as to use the bottom of the slide unit as the surface upon which the rollers roll on. Note that there is an adjustment on these roller assemblies for the vertical adjustment of the slide room and these will facilitate helping to level the slide room in relation to the entire travel trailer being reasonably level. My original problem was that these rollers had "seized" up, would not roll, and therefore dug into the bottom of the slide room floor which is plywood with a covering of some type of black mesh material. For the life of me I cannot understand why anyone with any training would design anything using metal rollers contacting a wooden floor. These rollers on my unit had dug through the black mesh material, then dug two (2) "trenches" on the bottom of the slide floor. The PO had told me that there was a problem with the slide "jumping" when it was extended or retracted--heck, no wonder. I extended the slide room then made up some wooden (2x4) braces to support it while I worked on it. I did jack the slide room up to lift it off of the rollers also. The roller assembly was not easy to remove. By looking under the sofa you could see part of the roller assembly attached to the inside of the outer wall with square head drive screws. Now imagine the trailer wall being cut our for the slide unit in the factory. You would see the bottom of the area cut-out of the exterior trailer wall. These roller assemblies also sit on the bottom of this cut-out area and are attached with these same type screws. With the slide unit extended these are not easy to see, you will have to feel with your fingers to find them. These must also be removed to remove the roller assembly. I used a square drive bit with a 1/4" ratchet and appropriate socket to fit the bit. Once I had the roller assemblies removed it didn't take a NASA scientist to see that all four (4) of the rollers had seized up, would not turn, just dig into the wooden floor. Remove the pin holding the rollers on the assembly, clean all the parts really good before re-assembly. I rubbed some white grease on the pin and into the center hole of the rollers before re-assembly. Putting these roller assemblies back into the unit was not any easier than removing them. Now to the bottom of the slide unit flooring: Mine had distinct trenches dug into both sides. Imagine the line that the roller assemblies should travel along underneath the slide unit. I imagined a line about six inches (6") either side of the trenches, then I stapled the mesh material along these lines. I then cut out the mesh material where the rollers had damaged the material to allow me access to the wood of the floor. I used a "Bondo" type material which is for wood, not auto body type, and filled in the trenches allowing this to dry for a day or so. I then used a sander to smooth this Bondo down to be flush with the wood of the floor. Next I used some standard black sheet metal, somewhat about 18-20 gauge material to cover an area six inches either side of the roller travel area and the entire width (perpendicular to the wall of the camper) of the bottom of the slide floor. I secured this sheet metal with stainless wood screws about every four inches (4") around the sheet metal's perimeter. Now I had a good solid floor for the rollers to roll along. After getting everything back together and making some adjustments the slide unit would extend and retract nice and smooth. IMO: IF your "scratch marks" have penetrated the black mesh material, the damage is done. How deep are the scratch marks into the bottom of the wooden floor of your slide unit? I understand now that your unit is in a shop. Hopefully there will be some recourse back to the manufacturer of your unit for repair, but I seriously doubt this. I noticed in you PM that your unit is at a "Team RV" associated repair shop. I personally have not had them do any repair work for me but I do know of others who have used this local Team RV and there are no good stories to tell. Good luck to you, David

Old 06-25-2013, 09:02 PM   #3

Hi David,

After I got the unit back the slide sounded perfect, the way it should!
However today was our first good rain ) a week after picking it up) I went to check on the unit and. Opened the door to a 1/2 inch on water!!!! Al of which was coming from the top corner of the slide. So it is now back at the shop!!! To say the least ( as I am shacking with anger) we are deciding wether or not we simple demand a new unit! I will regain my composer and post later to a broad audience for advice on what's next. My biggest concerns is long term water damage, warranty or not.

Thank you for your time in the matter and I will keep every one posted as to my unfortunate events .
Need I say we have slept in it 6 nights. It's been at the shop for 30 days and counting and from pick up to now is exactly 89 days. Do the math... Something's not right!
Sorry for my tone, it is very frustrating
Steve
Old 06-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #4

Danged Steve, this has got to be a bummer for you and family. Why is it that ALL the stories I have personally heard from campers is that the dealer's who sell you the units don't seem to remember you once you have left the lot? I personally have not heard one person say any good words about any dealers anywhere. I believe I understand being angry and shaky if I were to open the door of my new TT and find standing water from a rain incident. Fortunately I have had only one instance of water intrusion from rain and that was my fault. I set my unit up late one evening knowing that it was not level side to side. The top of the slide unit was tilted back towards the unit and rain water traveled along the roof of the slide and into the unit. I did re-level the next morning and all was well. I hope the dealer will accept some responsibility for this incident.