Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2016, 08:26 PM   #1

Slide out shifted out of alignment

I have been noticing that the dining table slide in our Flagstaff 8528ikws seemed to be shifting slightly. Now it is so far to the rear that I am afraid to open it all the way. The window glass just barely passes by the wall in the rear while I have a large gap in the front.

Any self remedies or advice? Does it need to go to the shop?

Thanks in advance.
wdw0528
2013 Flagstaff 8528IKWS 5er (Sold)
B&W Companion Slider (Sold)
wdw0528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:09 PM   #2
Site Team

A few pictures of the problem and of the bottom of the slide would help.
There are adjustments, but you may have a problem that requires repair.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdw0528 View Post
I have been noticing that the dining table slide in our Flagstaff 8528ikws seemed to be shifting slightly. Now it is so far to the rear that I am afraid to open it all the way. The window glass just barely passes by the wall in the rear while I have a large gap in the front.

Thanks in advance.
wdw0528
Is it a Schwintek/Lippert system? Go to YouTube and search for LippertUniversity. Watch videos to learn how to reset and/or adjust, it looks pretty easy. If you don't open and close these fully they get out of sync.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:37 AM   #4

I did look at videos and made an adjustment that helped in one uneven part but the horizontal is the one I cannot do.

I talked to the Lippert rep who said what I described is very unusual and may require a lot of muscle to move.

For now we have the slide in and have elected to not use it.

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1468906441.396568.jpg
Views: 4526
Size:  74.7 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1468906465.275974.jpg
Views: 4572
Size:  77.1 KB

I am (hopefully) attaching two pics that show the gap difference between the front (3 inches) and the back (3/4 inch).

The back is now so close I am afraid the window will catch on the wall when moving in or out.

In Dawson City now and may get to a shop when we can.

Thanks for input guys!
Old 07-19-2016, 04:24 AM   #5

Quote:
I did look at videos and made an adjustment that helped in one uneven part but the horizontal is the one I cannot do.

I talked to the Lippert rep who said what I described is very unusual and may require a lot of muscle to move.

For now we have the slide in and have elected to not use it.

I am (hopefully) attaching two pics that show the gap difference between the front (3 inches) and the back (3/4 inch).

The back is now so close I am afraid the window will catch on the wall when moving in or out.

In Dawson City now and may get to a shop when we can.

Thanks for input guys!
Interesting. If you are able to find out what caused it to move to one side, please let us know. On the 3 inch gap side I'm assuming that its not even contacting the motor?

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:40 AM   #6

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
wdw0528
I'll attach the fix for your problem, you will see the vertical and horizontal fix for your slide, You might be able to move it by yourself, or with a little more help. Piease read page #9 I have done this. You could use like a pry bar as they state. Something came lose to cause your problem Horizontal is easier then vertical, on vertical you have to make sure you turn the nuts on both sides the same # or you get really screwed up, TRUST me I know.. PS: Not for you but a site team member, maybe you can put this in our FRF library.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf lieppert-electric-slideout.pdf (1.47 MB, 917 views)

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:32 AM   #7
Site Team

Before I started jacking around on the room, I'd try to figure out why it moved that much. It could just be loose bolts from the build, but it could be loose or broken brackets on the mechanism.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Before I started jacking around on the room, I'd try to figure out why it moved that much. It could just be loose bolts from the build, but it could be loose or broken brackets on the mechanism.
This is true, but once you see the slide extended because it has to be, it pretty easy to see if you broke something, this isn't rocket science. I would give the person the credit of examination first. Example he could have broke the sprocket. But you still have to look to see what could have caused it. Not very many moving parts at all. If his dealer has idiots like mine working there, he's better off reading the manual and watching the Lippert Video. I can't count the number of times my bolts worked loose. I say this because my dealer has 6 mechanics, but FR only requires one to go to class....

Old 07-29-2016, 04:11 PM   #9

Thanks for all the input guys!
Update - I was/am not confident enough "yet" to start jacking it around . We have been in Alaska and we just decided to not use that slide for the remainder of the trip.

Question - since we are traveling across country anyhow, would it make sense to visit Lippert or Forest River in Indiana? Do they make repairs?
Anyone ever done something like that?

FYI - no warranty as we purchased a used camper.

Appreciate any thoughts on this or how to schedule a visit.
Old 07-30-2016, 08:01 AM   #10

You need to call your division, you can find the phone# in the FRF library. They can get you in at the factory.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Old 08-08-2016, 02:24 PM   #11

Update - I called Forest River as suggested and made an appointment with the service department for this morning. By noon we were all fixed up and ready to go....great customer service! They fixed the slide and basically went over the rig making sure all else was in order.

Could not determine "why/how" it happened but they corrected it and gave me a lesson on future adjustments if necessary.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Update - I called Forest River as suggested and made an appointment with the service department for this morning. By noon we were all fixed up and ready to go....great customer service! They fixed the slide and basically went over the rig making sure all else was in order.

Could not determine "why/how" it happened but they corrected it and gave me a lesson on future adjustments if necessary.
What was the adjustment that they made, did you watch, this would be interesting for us?..They might not know or didn't want to say but by the adjustment they made, we probably will be able to figure it out, Thanks for getting back to the FRF...

Old 08-08-2016, 04:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
What was the adjustment that they made, did you watch, this would be interesting for us?..They might not know or didn't want to say but by the adjustment they made, we probably will be able to figure it out, Thanks for getting back to the FRF...
Did not get to watch as I had to drop it off but they told me (and showed me) the bolts to loosen for each direction of adjustment.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:36 PM   #14

Do you have images of the bolts to loose or tighten?
Rene gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene gil View Post
Do you have images of the bolts to loose or tighten?
If you have the LCI mechanical slide system here is the pictures and directions to correct it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf lieppert-electric-slideout.pdf (1.47 MB, 508 views)

Old 09-14-2016, 05:11 AM   #16

Sometimes they have to "Bring out the Sawzall!" Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	072.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	334.9 KB
ID:	120157   Click image for larger version

Name:	075.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	361.4 KB
ID:	120158   Click image for larger version

Name:	073.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	351.0 KB
ID:	120159  
Old 09-14-2016, 07:05 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Sometimes they have to "Bring out the Sawzall!" Youroo!!
Are you adding a picture window Youroo?....

Old 09-14-2016, 06:48 PM   #18
Chuck

Travel Lock

Sorry to hear about your problems. If you are not using a slide room lock when traveling, you should start. It makes sure it does not get jarred out of place when heading down the road. Be sure to leave the orange flag on it so you remember it's there. I store mine above the slide out when parked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160914_174540.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	317.5 KB
ID:	120232  
Idaho_Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:43 AM   #19

Thank you wdw0528 for posting your problem with the slide and thank you Witchdoctor for posting the lippert manual.

I have this same problem with my Forester 3011DS. It came this way from the factory and I just figured the slide was supposed to be as close as it was to the wall. However, once it pulled away the slide out trim and pulled the mirror mounts off the wall I knew I had a problem. Ever since then I've had to make sure the slide doesn't catch on the mirror.

I didn't realize the slide could be adjusted horizontally but seeing your problem and reading the manual it looks like there is a fix for the problem I've been having. Thanks to these forums!
Old 09-20-2016, 02:39 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORvideoguy View Post
Thank you wdw0528 for posting your problem with the slide and thank you Witchdoctor for posting the lippert manual.

I have this same problem with my Forester 3011DS. It came this way from the factory and I just figured the slide was supposed to be as close as it was to the wall. However, once it pulled away the slide out trim and pulled the mirror mounts off the wall I knew I had a problem. Ever since then I've had to make sure the slide doesn't catch on the mirror.

I didn't realize the slide could be adjusted horizontally but seeing your problem and reading the manual it looks like there is a fix for the problem I've been having. Thanks to these forums!
I have plenty of slide issues with one slide, because the FR genius installed my Sirius Radio antenna on my slide roof. After it ripped my roof and had a new roof put on and after having to cut my inside wall board up to the top of the slide opening I had to keep readjusting mine. It would pop my whole wall going in and out. Now I have it right so it will clear. I will caution you that make sure you adjust both sides the exact same. Seems my stealer couldn't figure that part out....Good luck..

Tags
alignment, slide, slide out