Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2015, 01:56 PM   #1

Slide out support jacks

Does anyone use or have support jacks on slide thanking of getting a set to help with TT shacking while walking in it. It it a good or bad idea to use them
tim mccarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 01:59 PM   #2

Not recommended...many threads on subject...

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ity-56496.html
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:02 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

They slide out not being supported is not the problem, it's the fact your camper sits on rubber tires and springs and or rubber torsion axles.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:09 PM   #4

Thanks Fonzie I checked that link I will not get them do not want to risk damaging the slide
Old 04-03-2015, 02:09 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
They slide out not being supported is not the problem, it's the fact your camper sits on rubber tires and springs and or rubber torsion axles.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
And if you should happen to have a tire go down there WILL be catastrophic damage.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim mccarver View Post
Does anyone use or have support jacks on slide thanking of getting a set to help with TT shacking while walking in it. It it a good or bad idea to use them
Buy or build yourself a set of X-chocks. The x-chocks will be placed between the tires and then tighten against the tires. These will spread the tires when the trailer is stationer and this along with the front and rear stabilizers will help in some of the shanking of the trailer.
I used these on my 5er and they do prevent some of the monition that occurs when walking in the camper not all but close to 90% of the motion.

Do a search on the internet for x-chocks or home built type which are ease to make.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:02 AM   #7

Quote:
9/5/12
Mr. Fought
I got your name and email from Mr. Richardson. We have a 2012 Windjammer 3001W we purchased it in June of this year. We love the camper.
I have a question for you. I have been working on getting some of the movement out of the trailer when set up. I know with the weight on the wheels that I probably can't get it all out, but I think I can get more movement out. I use the factory installed stabilizer jacks and BAL X-chocks between the tires. These two take out front to back movement and lateral side to side movement. However with the two sides extended on one side of the trailer there is still some side to side rocking, boat like, movement.
Is it OK, under the warranty and/or Forest Rivers recommendations to use slide out supports?
I think this would eliminate most of the rocking motion, but at the same time I don't want to void the warranty or damage my new camper.
If your not the right person to answer this question please let me know or forward it on for me.
Thank you fro your time,

Quote:
Douglas E. Fought <dfought@forestriverinc.com>
9/7/12

The light weights do move more and what you are doing is exactly what I was going to suggest with the BAL X-Chocks.

The slide out floor is made out of 1” plywood, so adding support to the slide out floors are not a problem.

Doug Fought

Flagstaff / Rockwood Warranty
Division of Forest River Inc.
I'm not trying to imply that you need to add them, it is your camper do what you want. There is a lot of incorrect information on the internet on this subject. Anything you do with or to your camper "could" void your warranty if the manufacturer chaoses to. Anything you do to your camper, use common since.
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 03:52 PM   #8

Jerry in Rimrock

I purchased a pair of Husky Telescopic Stabilizer jacks from CampingWorld and place them under the trailer frame by each opposing slideout. I do this after I level the trailer and before I bring out the sliders, saves on naughty words when you hit your head on the slider. I just tighten them until they are snug against the frame. Don't use them to level your trailer since they could twist the frame.
ajbaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:09 PM   #9

I put leveling blocks under the steps and use X-chocks. It doesn't eliminate all of the movement but most of it. The step blocks really help when someone enters or leaves the camper.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:43 AM   #10

DH just installed JT strong arms on the front of our 5er (he hasn't had time yet to do the rear) but I am amazed at how it helps stabilize and stop that shaking while walking in it.

He even had me stand in the front bedroom and he shoved on the side of the 5er and it shook quite a bit! After installing and tightening down the JTs, I stood in the same place and he did the same shake only with much more force and there was No movement.
scootingranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:19 AM   #11

Thanks for all the input I order some x-chocks going to try that. And made some step blocks to try out. I made them out of a 4×4 I had. When I got back home from camping last week I leveled in driveway did not go in till yesterday to clean I found that I forget to latch the bedroom door it came off track & broke a latch on bottom of door looks like a easy fix I will let you no how the chocks work when I get them thanks again my TT is a 2015 Salem 27RKSS
Old 03-03-2017, 06:19 AM   #12

Is it ok to extend the slide out without deploying the trailer's stabilizing jacks. Not for long term, but to get to the fridge or pantry at a roadside rest area or to run the vacuum when we get home?
PCWestlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCWestlake View Post
Is it ok to extend the slide out without deploying the trailer's stabilizing jacks. Not for long term, but to get to the fridge or pantry at a roadside rest area or to run the vacuum when we get home?
It is fine, I do it all the time, just be on level ground...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:26 AM   #14

Thank you!
PCWestlake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, slide, slide out