Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2018, 12:02 PM   #1

Slide out toppers installation question

I hope this is the right place for this question. But I have a Shasta 336RL and ordered toppers for all 3 slides per the sizing chart by Solera. But it appears the awning arm next to the living room slide is too close to mount the topper hardware. I have attached a picture of what I am seeing. I am not sure there is way to mount this topper without the awning arm interfering with the slide closing. See attached picture.

Any suggestions will be helpful. As I don't think I want to install the other toppers without this one, as the DW says it will look stupid without all 3.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slide out.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	252.8 KB
ID:	187321  
Nights Camped 2023 = 30
Nights Camped 2022 = 40
jtatum65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:11 PM   #2
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

As much as I would like to have slide toppers, I wouldn't waste my money on them after seeing many blown off (ie.- ripped to shreds) by the wind and dry rotted in a couple years by the sun.

Not to mention all of the posts about having to put their slides in at night when the wind flops them around and keeps the occupants awake.

If only these could have a quick-connect so that we could choose to have them in or out...just like the awnings!

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
As much as I would like to have slide toppers, I wouldn't waste my money on them after seeing many blown off (ie.- ripped to shreds) by the wind and dry rotted in a couple years by the sun.

Not to mention all of the posts about having to put their slides in at night when the wind flops them around and keeps the occupants awake.

If only these could have a quick-connect so that we could choose to have them in or out...just like the awnings!

JohnD,

I have had toppers on the last 2 campers, a travel trailer and a FW, I never once had any issues with my toppers, nor did I have to pull in my slides during windy days or night.

But thanks for your input.
Nights Camped 2023 = 30
Nights Camped 2022 = 40
Old 09-23-2018, 12:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtatum65 View Post
JohnD,

I have had toppers on the last 2 campers, a travel trailer and a FW, I never once had any issues with my toppers, nor did I have to pull in my slides during windy days or night.

But thanks for your input.
Just a matter of time...

Especially if you head out west!

This was a neighbor in an RV park in Denver last spring just after he arrived...

This blew off while on the highway and rolled up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SlideTopperBlownOff-P3271872.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	804.3 KB
ID:	187324   Click image for larger version

Name:	SlideTopperBlownOff-P3271871.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	688.9 KB
ID:	187325  
Old 09-23-2018, 12:32 PM   #5

Luck of the draw I guess. We have had no issues with slide toppers in 6 years on 2 different 5th wheels. They help keep the slides cool, help prevent leaks during rain, and totally saved my butt when we had snow and ice. No way could I have brought in the slides if that snow and ice had been on top of the slides. As it was the snow and ice just fell off as the slides came in. I will always have slide covers.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 02:01 PM   #6
Site Team

Since none of the above posts (especially JohnD's) attempted to help the OP, I'll see if I can actually help a little.

Jim & Evelyn Tatum -- You can mount the hardware toward the left a little to miss the main slide. That'll make the awning off centered a little, but most people won't notice. If it bothers the DW for it to be off center, you may be able to return it and get one that's shorter.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Since none of the above posts (especially JohnD's) attempted to help the OP, I'll see if I can actually help a little.

Jim & Evelyn Tatum -- You can mount the hardware toward the left a little to miss the main slide. That'll make the awning off centered a little, but most people won't notice. If it bothers the DW for it to be off center, you may be able to return it and get one that's shorter.
Bama,

Thanks for the suggestion. If i use the one ordered it will be almost 8inches extending beyond the back. That's a lil too much plus I dont think the support bar will extend that far in the mount. So what I am thinking of doing is ordering the next size shorter, which is 6inches shorter and doing what you suggest.

Wonder what it costs to ship a 14ft awning back to the seller? Might be cheaper to sell this one out right an order the new one.

Jim
Nights Camped 2023 = 30
Nights Camped 2022 = 40
Old 09-24-2018, 08:09 AM   #8

Word of advice if you are installing the awnings yourself, measure the awning to verify you received the correct length. Just this weekend I attempted to install my new slide toppers. One slide went great, easy peasy, the other slide was a bust. We had the slide topper in our arms and slid the fabric into the rail attached to the RV when we discovered the slide topper was a foot too long. Turns out the slide topper cardboard tube it shipped in was marked 120" on one end and 136" on the other end. We ordered the 120" but received a 136".

Just double check before you get on the ladder.

Happy camping,

C

2018 FR XLR Nitro 35VL5
2013 Ford F250 SRW 4x4 6.7L, Air Lift 5K Ultimate,
B&W Turnoverball Gooseneck Hitch, Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Connection
2008 Honda Goldwing, U.S. Army Veteran
Nailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailz View Post
Word of advice if you are installing the awnings yourself, measure the awning to verify you received the correct length. Just this weekend I attempted to install my new slide toppers. One slide went great, easy peasy, the other slide was a bust. We had the slide topper in our arms and slid the fabric into the rail attached to the RV when we discovered the slide topper was a foot too long. Turns out the slide topper cardboard tube it shipped in was marked 120" on one end and 136" on the other end. We ordered the 120" but received a 136".

Just double check before you get on the ladder.

Happy camping,

C
Thanks for the info. The Solera toppers coming in plastic sleeve and the size is labelled at both ends. But I understand what your saying. In my case the problem isn't with the incorrect awning size, but more of not enough space between the slide out and the arms of the awning. I am going to have to order another topper that is 2 sizes smaller. The slide out box is 146", that is not including the flanges. The topper that will fit is 145", so now I will order that one.
Nights Camped 2023 = 30
Nights Camped 2022 = 40
Old 09-24-2018, 09:06 AM   #10

I think you should Really measure and think this out Before ending up with a Pile of Toppers you can't use or return! First thing is in your slide location in relationship to the awning arms! The slide Toppers for Total /Proper install will have the "Tube holder Brackets extend beyond the width of your slide! If Not installed correctly your Wife is 100 % Correct, it will Not cover the top of slide and it will "Look Goofy "! Youroo! !
Old 09-24-2018, 09:32 AM   #11

Looking at your setup it appears your Main awning is small/short! It looks like the Factory should have offered a Longer Main Awning, that would cover your slide also, other MFG have this setup, personally I think it Cheats you out of Usable area but,you chose that with the slide layout anyway! Youroo! !
Old 09-24-2018, 10:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
It looks like the Factory should have offered a Longer Main Awning, that would cover your slide also, other MFG have this setup, personally I think it Cheats you out of Usable area but,you chose that with the slide layout anyway! Youroo! !
My awning covers a large slideout on my 5'ver and as you said, it cheats me not only out of usable area under the awning, but I also can't extend the awning all the way out as it rests on the facia of the slide.

Sure, I have foam noodles to keep it from rubbing and ripping holes in it, but also rubs on the top of the entrance door as it only opens to straight out and the awning rubs on it as well!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	JohnDProwlerAt2016HOCNatlRallyInLasVegas-P1020419.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	335.0 KB
ID:	187404  
Old 09-24-2018, 10:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Looking at your setup it appears your Main awning is small/short! It looks like the Factory should have offered a Longer Main Awning, that would cover your slide also, other MFG have this setup, personally I think it Cheats you out of Usable area but,you chose that with the slide layout anyway! Youroo! !
Youroo,

Thanks for the input, but not sure what you mean by "Cheats you out of Usable area"? We chose this unit for its floorplan and the fact we wanted to stay with the Forest River family. I did not think it was going to be an issue to add slide toppers. This is the only slide that is causing any issues to get installed.

When I ordered the Solera toppers, I used their sizing chart to get the right ones. The problem as you can is the awning arm is too close to the slide out.

"The slide Toppers for Total /Proper install will have the "Tube holder Brackets extend beyond the width of your slide!" Would it hurt to have the brackets even with the slide out flanges?. There is only 1 inch of space between the arm and the flange.
Nights Camped 2023 = 30
Nights Camped 2022 = 40
Old 09-24-2018, 10:22 AM   #14

Was "Slide Toppers "a Option from the Factory? Any way you install it you are going to have "Uncovered/Exposed "areas of your Slide! Your Wife is correct, you will have "Partial Slide Covers "! Youroo! !
Old 09-24-2018, 10:22 AM   #15
Pickin', Campin', Mason

jtatum65,
Our 5th wheel is set up like what I believe you want with your unit.

Here are a few photos showing how much clearance typical toppers need in relationship to the slide flange and those things around it.

I'm hopeful you have enough space between the slide flange and the awning rail but it really doesn't appear so in your photo.

Name:	20180924_111803.jpeg
Views:	264
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	187408Click image for larger version

Name:	20180924_111756.jpeg
Views:	533
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	187409

EDIT:
BTW.. slide toppers are another of those topics where those that have them, love them and those that don't, hate 'em.

Despite the negative comments earlier, we've had them on our last several rigs and would not be without them.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:26 AM   #16

I think it is doable. Would the topper material completely cover the slide box? Perhaps. You can mount the bracket anywhere along the slide flange. Just a 1/4 inch clearance needed. You might check with A&E and carefree of Colorado and explain your dilemma and they may have alternate brackets and suggestions. You already have the accessory slot in place.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:29 AM   #17

Quote:
Was "Slide Toppers "a Option from the Factory? Any way you install it you are going to have "Uncovered/Exposed "areas of your Slide! Your Wife is correct, you will have "Partial Slide Covers "! Youroo! !
Was "Slide Toppers "a Option from the Factory? No, but strangely enough they installed the topper rails over each slide. As you can see in the picture I posted.

The slide box measures 145"wide and the closest topper I can get is 145", so only 1/2" on either side will be exposed and that would put the brackets even with the flanges, if that doesn't hurt anything. My wife says that would be acceptable, as the slide top would be covered from any debris.

Also I contacted Shasta for some insight on this and their reply was "Because toppers are not an option for this unit, I don’t have any information that will be helpful to you."
Nights Camped 2023 = 30
Nights Camped 2022 = 40
Old 09-24-2018, 10:31 AM   #18
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Youroo,

Thanks for the input, but not sure what you mean by "Cheats you out of Usable area"? We chose this unit for its floorplan and the fact we wanted to stay with the Forest River family. I did not think it was going to be an issue to add slide toppers. This is the only slide that is causing any issues to get installed.

When I ordered the Solera toppers, I used their sizing chart to get the right ones. The problem as you can is the awning arm is too close to the slide out.

"The slide Toppers for Total /Proper install will have the "Tube holder Brackets extend beyond the width of your slide!" Would it hurt to have the brackets even with the slide out flanges?. There is only 1 inch of space between the arm and the flange.
As you can see by my photos in my previous post, for the slide topper fabric to cover the slide roof, there has to be a bit of bracket stick out on each side of the slide flange.

The brackets could be flush if you so desired. The topper would be a bit short but that would certainly be better than none IMHO.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:34 AM   #19

Quote:

Thanks for the input, but not sure what you mean by "Cheats you out of Usable area"?
What he means is that by having an RV awning covering up a slide there is no room under the awning for what an awning is supposed to do.

Create shade and shelter from sun and rain for us to sit under and enjoy the outdoors while we are camping.

However, at least I can choose to have it cover that slide when I want to...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20180830_120344572.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	666.6 KB
ID:	187410  
Old 09-24-2018, 10:37 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
What he means is that by having an RV awning covering up a slide there is no room under the awning for what an awning is supposed to do.

Create shade and shelter from sun and rain for us to sit under and enjoy the outdoors while we are camping.

However, at least I can choose to have it cover that slide when I want to...
Oh DUH! It's monday and I a slow on mondays
Nights Camped 2023 = 30
Nights Camped 2022 = 40

Tags
slide, slide out