Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2015, 08:26 PM   #1

Slide out will not extend

How to extend slideout when motor is not working???
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:40 PM   #2
Site Team

Your sigline shows 2 units. What unit and what slide?

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:47 PM   #3

Crusader 270 ret...sofa slide with two motors.....
1985 S-10 One Owner:
Old 01-19-2015, 08:53 PM   #4
Always Learning

Is it a Schwintek slide? It'll have 2 tracks on either side, 2 motors and a controller to keep them in sync. The tracks look like this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421718566.943545.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	68649

If so, the "override" sucks. You have to disconnect power to the motor. You can either get access to the motor by pulling down trim and a gasket and then unplugging the wire harness to each. Or, you should be able to disconnect the battery (and shore power). And then PPPPUUUUSSSSSHHHHHH.

I bruised my shoulders from pushing before I found that if I squatted, I could push with my legs with my back against the slide. I also found that the linoleum flooring wanted to shift from it. So I would have my wife stand in front of me and I'd plant my feet. Also using my arm to push against a doorframe helped.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421718755.250010.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	259.0 KB
ID:	68650

The biggest thing is you need to get access to the controller and inspect its flashing lights/codes.

If it isn't a Schwintek, none of this is helpful.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:00 PM   #5
Site Team

Doug I think you right on target. I had to google the unit to find out it has the Schwintek.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 01-19-2015, 09:01 PM   #6

Circuit Board

checked out system prior to leaving Georgia...eight red lights flashing, no hall signal from motor, two green lights flashing, indicates motor #2...right now I have the power disconnected to the circuit board..may need to un=plug the motors from circuit board and leave the power to the circuit board connected even though no power is getting to the motors...have already purchased an new #2 motor....getting slide out is the problem..four guys earlier it would not move, still locked...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Is it a Schwintek slide? It'll have 2 tracks on either side, 2 motors and a controller to keep them in sync. The tracks look like this:
Attachment 68649

If so, the "override" sucks. You have to disconnect power to the motor. You can either get access to the motor by pulling down trim and a gasket and then unplugging the wire harness to each. Or, you should be able to disconnect the battery (and shore power). And then PPPPUUUUSSSSSHHHHHH.

I bruised my shoulders from pushing before I found that if I squatted, I could push with my legs with my back against the slide. I also found that the linoleum flooring wanted to shift from it. So I would have my wife stand in front of me and I'd plant my feet. Also using my arm to push against a doorframe helped.

Attachment 68650

The biggest thing is you need to get access to the controller and inspect its flashing lights/codes.

If it isn't a Schwintek, none of this is helpful.
1985 S-10 One Owner:
Old 01-19-2015, 09:06 PM   #7
Site Team

there is a thread on here about removing the motors on a Lacrosse by pt.
They had to drill access holes outside in the trim around the slide to loosen screws to the motors. Im gonna look for that that post for ya. PITA!!! Your not , from my understanding going to be able to push it out.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 01-19-2015, 09:11 PM   #8
Always Learning

I think the power needs to be disconnected at the motor and not necessarily at the controller.

Here's what mine looked like when I tore into it:

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421719607.237562.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	68651

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421719626.752462.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	297.9 KB
ID:	68652

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421719656.371723.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	296.2 KB
ID:	68653

Does your camper have a battery disconnect? You might be able to use that.

I'd also try removing all of the furniture that you can. I didn't have anyone to help me. I moved it 1/2"-1" at a time, alternating front and rear sides of the slide.

As I said, the only way I could get it to budge was to push with my legs with my back against the slide.

Good luck, man. This sucked getting it to move.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:14 PM   #9
Site Team

Here is what I found. Now if it was me, I would call Prime time and or my dealer before drilling any holes.

If Doug's right, his way may be better. Here is the pics and a link to that thread.
Post 34 & 47
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post614797
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post672808

Zelda the campin dog
Old 01-19-2015, 09:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKicklight View Post
Crusader 270 ret...sofa slide with two motors.....
Look for inline fuse/circuit breaker with reset most likely positioned close to battery. Large loads always use in line protection, too large for DC fuse panel.

not aware yours Schwintek, my info N/A
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:57 PM   #11
Always Learning

Platokidd PM'd me.. Here's my response that might be helpful:

Yes, I was able to push my slide to get it to move with the motor still in the tracks. You have to remove power to them. They have a wiring harness at the top of them that you can unplug. I could only reach the one. My miniature assistant got on top of the slide and crawled back to the rear one- thank God for adventurous 11 year olds.

Once there is no power to the motors, you're free to force the slide in or out. You have to do it evenly and like I said- you have to push like a mother-effer. You have to overcome the resistance of the motor AND the weight of the slide. I wouldn't want to fully retract nor extend the slide this way but a foot or so is possible- just super exhausting.

Because there is no lock once power is removed AND I could only get 1 harness reconnected. We gingerly drove to Hime Depot to buy and cut down a 2x4 to wedge up at the roof level to lock the slide in the "out" position for travel. I used some rags wedged into place to fine tune the fit.

I don't have a thread on this. It happened on our way to Florida back in December.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:02 PM   #12
Always Learning

Slide out will not extend

We had a mobile RV tech come out to our campsite in Florida to replace a motor. The slide was partially deployed (about 6"-8"). In order to replace the slide, he literally took out the screws up and down the slide wall and freed the whole slide out from the camper. (It was pretty shocking how easily it came apart!)

He then had to locate the same set screw that Platokidd's email talks about. For us, it was a matter of pulling the gasket down and backing the screw out.

I don't know how you can do anything with the slide motor with the slide fully retracted. It's going to have be forced to be partially deployed. And that is disconnect the battery & shore power or just disconnect the wiring harnesses to each motor. These can be difficult to reach. And then push a little on both sides. I needed all 280 pounds of me pushing into the slide with my whole body. My father-in-law tried to help- he couldn't budge it by just leaning into it; only when we used our legs and backs could we get it to move.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:11 PM   #13

Had to Dropped off my 2013 lacrosse 303RKS last thurs. needed some warranty work done. But when I tried to open sliders, no power. I had lights microwave power but no slide out, landing gear power to jack power. Don't know if when I plugged it into my home 30amp plug. I heard small tiny spark and maybe that caused something to pop. Since the inverter is behind slide it was tough to see into. Curious to hear what the problem was. Suck having to crank leveling and tow jack manually. I'll keep you posted when I hear back from service. Sorry I have no advice but it in there now.
Kunaman234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:31 PM   #14

Right now, we have both motors un-plugged from the wiring harness, of course we un-plugged the power to the circuit board earlier. We have tried now with four grown men and the slide will not move at all out.....now at a loss as to what to do, it is all the way in....the idea of drilling holes is beyond me....surely someone thought this was going to happen sooner or later....with motors disconnected I figured we would be home free, not so!!
1985 S-10 One Owner:
Old 01-19-2015, 11:00 PM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
Right now, we have both motors un-plugged from the wiring harness, of course we un-plugged the power to the circuit board earlier. We have tried now with four grown men and the slide will not move at all out.....now at a loss as to what to do, it is all the way in....the idea of drilling holes is beyond me....surely someone thought this was going to happen sooner or later....with motors disconnected I figured we would be home free, not so!!

Do you have any pictures of the outside of your slide? Can you get to the screws that hold the slide in place to the camper?
Old 01-20-2015, 11:01 AM   #16

Lippert Tech.

Spoke with Lippert this morning and there answer was this, the slide was never intended to be pushed out with the motors attached, to much torque. Therefore the exterior trim removal is one approach or drilling a 1" hole where the set screw is another. The motors have such a high torque ratio moving them is almost to impossible...think I will try the 1" drill bit first of all, removing all that trim will take forever..
1985 S-10 One Owner:
Old 01-20-2015, 01:10 PM   #17
Site Team

LKicklight, Maybe Prime time could offer some input here?
Best of luck with getting this back up and working again. If you have time take some pics of the process.

The engineer's that thought this one up should be dragged behind the wood shed

ependydad must be strong like bull

Zelda the campin dog
Old 01-20-2015, 04:59 PM   #18
Always Learning

Quote:
Spoke with Lippert this morning and there answer was this, the slide was never intended to be pushed out with the motors attached, to much torque. Therefore the exterior trim removal is one approach or drilling a 1" hole where the set screw is another. The motors have such a high torque ratio moving them is almost to impossible...think I will try the 1" drill bit first of all, removing all that trim will take forever..
The 1" hole through the trim and into the side of the camper makes me sick to my stomach and it's not even my camper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
I'm young and fat, what can I say?
Old 01-20-2015, 06:10 PM   #19

Mouldings

The exterior of the slide has metal trim surrounding the slideout....removed screws..no good, trim is actually glued on! Maybe a heat gun would losen the glue up holding, don't know did not bring a heat gun with me here to Florida....Lippert say's they did not plan anything for this situation...getting the unit home or to a repair shop is there only concern///that pretty well leaves me outside looking in....we are down and out and about ready to dump this Crusader!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
LKicklight, Maybe Prime time could offer some input here?
Best of luck with getting this back up and working again. If you have time take some pics of the process.

The engineer's that thought this one up should be dragged behind the wood shed

1985 S-10 One Owner:
Old 01-20-2015, 06:54 PM   #20
Always Learning

Quote:
The exterior of the slide has metal trim surrounding the slideout....removed screws..no good, trim is actually glued on! Maybe a heat gun would losen the glue up holding, don't know did not bring a heat gun with me here to Florida....Lippert say's they did not plan anything for this situation...getting the unit home or to a repair shop is there only concern///that pretty well leaves me outside looking in....we are down and out and about ready to dump this Crusader!!!!
The RV tech that came to me used a putty knife to break the "glue". He called it something, but I don't recall what.... maybe dicor sealant.

Tags
slide, slide out