Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2018, 03:26 PM   #1

Slide outs

Hello, We just bought a new Windjammer 3008 with double slides. The first time we used it, I leveled the unit as normal, then set the slides out. We noticed that the weight of the slides?? now made the camper unlevel. My last unit had a single slide that didn't extend much, so this was not an issue. I am sure others have an answer on what I should do to level the unit?

Thank you,
Tom
Tom Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 03:37 PM   #2

When you level it before putting the slides out, have it sitting a little high on the slide side, so when the slides are run out, the same weight that created your not level situation now, will create a level situation, in the future.
All trailers are a little different, so you just have to experiment. I found with my trailer, 3/4 of an inch high on the slide side(Ihave two slides also), resulted in just the right amount of compression of the springs on the slide side, to bring the TT back to level.
I use the small stick on levels. I have learned how much out of level it needs to be, to end up where I want it.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 03:50 PM   #3

We had a fiver with two slides on one side and had the same problem. We found tightening the stabilizers more helped. Also, after a bit, you will learn how much to raise that side above level so that after the slide is out you will be at level.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 03:53 PM   #4

Thank you. I was thinking of trying to raise that side more this weekend when we go and see if that helps. I will also make sure the stabilizer is tight on that side.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:17 PM   #5
Site Team

Our big slide tilts our unit about a ½" if I don't account for it before putting it out, so I automatically add an extra ½" lego block to that side when parking. Then I put the stabilizers down and then when we run the slide out it makes the rig perfectly level.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:29 PM   #6

Thank you all. I added extra height with some boards today, (may go to blocks instead of boards) and with the slides out the camper feels more level. Amazing what an extra inch or two can make.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:31 PM   #7

I carry the Lynx blocks, as well as two 2x8’s long enough for both tires to set on, and have room enough for a chock if needed. I prefer the 2x8’s, because they’re so easy, and I can double stack them on one side if needed. They just fit in the bed of the truck.
I use the lynx blocks under the stabilizers so they don’t have to be extended quite as far. It adds some stability, if the stabilizers aren’t extended a long way.
Get the trailer sitting where you want at the campsite, lay the 2x8(s) along the tires. Pull up far enough to push them straight in, in line with the tires, and back up on them.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:40 AM   #8

Yep.... no worries. We have a 31’ Puma with two slides. If the pad is level to start with, I found that one orange leveler block under each tire (on the slide side) will make the trailer sit level when the slides are brought out.
Don’t try to level with the stabilizers.

Happy camping!
Keith
kk5fe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out