Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2014, 12:24 PM   #1

slide outs for winter

Does anyone use these types of campers for winter camping?
We just recently purchased a used Palomino Puma 295 fifth wheel, We will be using it throughout the winter and would like to know what others do. Do you, keep the slide outs in or out? Are the slideouts supported for snow load. (I'm not crazy about supporting them as I feel if there is any movement it may damage the slidouts or the trailer.) All feed back would be greatly appreciated. Oh, camper is in central Ontario Canada. Lots of snow.
Laurence Charbonneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:33 PM   #2

RV skirting.
Keeping snow buildup off the slides is a must as manufactures do not recommend slide supports.

I would suggest you keep the trailer off level front to back a little to allow the water to drain off and keep ice build up to a minimum.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:53 PM   #3

Our favorite campground in northern NY is open all winter. We rent a cabin - but there are some campers in use. Lots of skirting, heaters, and other prep work to use them in the winter, and the cg shuts off the water once it drops below freezing. Not my idea of a good time...

RV's just aren't made for true winter use. There are some horror stories post around here. This thread comes to mind off the top of my head:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ime-30764.html

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:04 PM   #4
Site Team

With the slide toppers on mine, I roll them in then out again to clear all this Louisiana snow. Lol. Really does work.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 03:00 PM   #5

If you will be leaving it unattended I would pull the slides in. If you will be in the RV, then just maintain the snow load on the slide outs. There are several snow rakes for trucks that would make the job easier. Depending on the location and snow load I would also take the time to maintain the roof. Other winter prep would be needed to keep you toasty all winter, but it is possible unless your are trying to do it in some of the coldest and windiest climates.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out, winter