Old 09-03-2014, 09:34 PM   #1

Slide Problems

I am mad as h..ll right now. We purchased a 2014 Rockwood 2104s a couple of months ago and after only 3 camping trips the slide will not operate. We got home two days ago and went to extend the slide and it operated for about a second and then stopped. I immediately thought it to be the fuse. Opened the fuse compartment and no fuse listed for the slide. Went online to this forum and found that other units had the fuse located near the battery. Opened the battery protectors, no fuse. Decided to see if there was a manual slide operation. Again searched online and climbed into the dirt to see if I could find anything that would allow me to open the slide.

Did I mention that we have a refrigerator full of food? And that our dealer is a two hour drive away?

Found a bar that extends through the wheels that looked to be a way of extending the slide manually, but after going through the entire trailer could not find anything that would fit it. Nor do I have anything in my garage that has slots that would fit the bar, if that is the manual slide. I have looked in the pathetic owners manual which said basically that the manual operation is located near the slide transmission, whatever that is. Climbed under the unit again and could not find anything that looked like it would extend the slide.

Back to the fuse. I contacted the dealer and was told that the fuse was located under the front of the trailer. I pulled the fuse and sure enough it was burned out. Of course it was a 30 amp fuse and I had to run to town to pick up another one. Replaced the fuse and it blew again.

Both my wife and I have full time jobs. I know I need to take the trailer in as this should be covered under the warranty but I have a business trip coming up and do not have the time to take five hours off of work to get it down to the dealer before I leave for two weeks.

I just want to get the food out before it starts rotting. The slide completely blocks access to the refrigerator. If anyone has any ideas, I would be happy to send them a case of beer at this point.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:35 PM   #2

Hook it up to power?

Old 09-04-2014, 12:36 PM   #3

Or switch it to propane while you.figure out a way to open it?
Old 09-04-2014, 03:46 PM   #4
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

If you bump (for test purpose only) the fuse to a 50amp does it still blow?
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:05 AM   #5

Thanks Kuba and donanddona. The trailer is plugged in, but keeping chicken, etc in the fridge for several weeks was not an option. I hesitate to use a 50 amp fuse as I am afraid it will void the warranty.

I was able to get it opened thanks to the help of a local RV dealer that does not even sell Forest River RVs. The manual crank is between the wheels in the wheel well and requires a slotted crank about a half inch in diameter. It was tough getting it opened, would lock up every 1/3 of a turn or so and with brute force would turn to the next lockup over and over slowly but surely it opened.

When I get back from my trip, it will go to the dealer for repairs.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:15 AM   #6

Please post pictures if you don't mind so others can see what needs to be done in a situation like this. Tnx

Tags
slide