Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2013, 08:19 AM   #1

Slide quit working

New 2013 Rockwood MiniLite 2109S purchased in March. Have gone on 4 campouts, otherwise it's usually parked in my driveway. Tried to extend the sofa slide...almost went out all the way and I heard a "pop" and the motor was still running but no movement. Had to manually push slide in.

Called my dealer and have to take it this afternoon....50 miles one way and they don't know if they can fix it while I wait...[my luck they will have to order a part].....so that will be 200 miles!!! I guess I will have to learn how to use the slide-lock bar so my slide will behave itself on the trip to the dealer.

Hopefully it will just be a bolt or something easy. Wish me luck.
Sargent's Fox Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:24 PM   #2

Hooray for Ruff's RV Sales in Euclid Ohio....they were able to get me in the same day and fix my slide!!! They are great.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Great to hear that your problem has been solved. For other owner's benefit what was the problem/fix?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #4

What did they find educate us all here?

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:31 PM   #5

After listening to the 'Tech' that fixed the slide, all that I could gather from his 'techno babble', was that a pin sheared off somewhere.....short answer is I don't know, but I'm glad it was under warranty and it's fixed. Also he gave me a souvenir....a little metal pin that was in 2 pieces!!! LOL
Old 05-30-2013, 08:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by missing75 View Post
After listening to the 'Tech' that fixed the slide, all that I could gather from his 'techno babble', was that a pin sheared off somewhere.....short answer is I don't know, but I'm glad it was under warranty and it's fixed. Also he gave me a souvenir....a little metal pin that was in 2 pieces!!! LOL
That's probably a "shear pin" that broke in two. Its put between a rotating shaft and a gear or torque device. It breaks because of overload, its designed to. Keep an eye and ear on that slide during ops. Something may have bound. You can reverse it right away if straining. Then try again.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:45 PM   #7

Thanks, VinceU
Old 06-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #8

Note to all: A friend of mine worked at a local RV sales/service center for quite a few years. I have heard him tell this story too many times--when a customer comes in with a broken shear pin in the slide drive mechanism his boss would tell him to go to store "X" and buy a solid metal dowel pin to replace the shear pin. He told me that most slide-out shear pins are actually what are known as "roll pins". These are hollow in the middle and are designed to break under a certain amount of radial force. A dowel pin is solid metal with the outside being case hardened to a depth of usually ten-thousands of an inch (.010"). These will not just shear under force. Dowel pins are strong enough that something else in the drive system will break first. Using the dowel pin had the purpose of NOT having the customer come back unless there was serious damage and a BIG bill. This RV center does not have a good reputation in this area. They operate under the "Team RV" system.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote