Old 09-04-2013, 10:20 PM   #1

Slide Seal Direction

I had the slide leak once while it was closed in my driveway. Hasn't leaked on camping trips that included lots of rain. Dealer looked it over thoroughly and added some caulking (to make me happy I think...it's under warranty). He said the seal could have folded or crinkled when I closed the slide. I thought he said the top seal would fold in toward the inside of the camper. I watched from the top outside as my wife closed it this time and a portion, say about two feet tried to fold in but the rest stayed out pointing to the outside. I straightened the seal out and checked the side ones too. No leaks.

So I guess the question is which way should the seal face? Thanks

Old 09-04-2013, 10:26 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
The "seal" you are referring to should flip inward. Your side should contact a "Bubble" that squeezes between the wall and slide to compress and keep water out.

I have seen some of them only flip partially but it is usually when opening. It is important, IMO, that they be flipped the correct way so that they establish a "memory" Current and past rig would not always flip out completely so I would use a bent rod to reach under and flip it out. Over time it improved and would flip the correct way.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Skippy View Post
I had the slide leak once while it was closed in my driveway. Hasn't leaked on camping trips that included lots of rain. Dealer looked it over thoroughly and added some caulking (to make me happy I think...it's under warranty). He said the seal could have folded or crinkled when I closed the slide. I thought he said the top seal would fold in toward the inside of the camper. I watched from the top outside as my wife closed it this time and a portion, say about two feet tried to fold in but the rest stayed out pointing to the outside. I straightened the seal out and checked the side ones too. No leaks.

So I guess the question is which way should the seal face? Thanks
Just had slide out leak too while closed. Water came in from bottom left of dinette. TT was parked next to house with a tilt, not severe, that made slide side high. We had a steady rain for several hours when this occurred.

Trailer now at dealer for a fix, but are these slide outs just prone to leaks no matter what? Guess I could understand it better if the slide was out and high sided, but having trouble with leak happening with it in.

Comments would be appreciated and thanks.

RMD
Old 09-15-2013, 05:31 PM   #4

Since my original post I have been very careful when closing the slide. I watch the top and side seals from outside as my wife closed it from inside. If I see the seal buckle I tap on the wall and she stops while I straighten the seal. Since then no problems even with rain. My top seal, the sweep, seems to only want to face out. It seems to be made that way. But again, no problems since then. It's very important to make sure leaves, acorns, etc are off the slide before closing. I carry a 4 ft. ladder and a cheap electric leaf blower in the underbelly for this. Works great. This debris can damage the top sweep and cause leaks. But I also took mine to the dealer since it was new. You have to wonder about the time spent on their lot before being sold...the slides are out all the time. I suppose a seal could take a "set". I will get a slide topper eventually. But they are pricey.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #5

Thanks Cap, interesting. I have not really paid attention to the seals, but I will now. TT is now at dealer. If they claim that somehow they fixed the problem, I will make sure they demonstrate the fix before I haul it home again by training the hose on the slide out closed and open.

We have been in extended rain with slide out, and had no leakage. Still somewhat odd to me that it would leak with slide in, but oh well. Judging from various online postings about leaking slideouts, it seems to be anecdotally at least an unfortunately common issue. But still bugs me that it is occurring on a brand new unit.

Any other comments on this issue out there?
Old 09-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
MC9

I had stopped at the factory for a little adjustment and the repair guy showed me that sometimes the seals will misalign. The top seal should be over the side seals ( sort of shingle like). Sometimes they are cut a little off. My previous rig had them on the inside as well as the outside. The positions were often switched. They put a little glue to make them stay.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #7

Thanks for your input.

Tags
slide