Old 11-09-2015, 10:31 PM   #1

Slide solenoid not active

I have a 2013 34RLSA fifth wheel. This weekend I had a failure of the slides to retract, even though the hydraulic pump was running. I have the hydraulic 6 jack "Levelup" system running off the same pump and they are working fine.

On investigation, the brown wire going to the slide solenoid has no voltage to it when activating the pump. I can jump it with a hot wire from the battery and it will retract and extend all slides. There is a circuit board in the area of the batteries and hydraulic pump. I pushed the reset button in the lower left hand corner of the board that is directly above a little yellow LED light. That had no effect on the solenoid issue. As a side note, when I push the reset button the LED light comes on, if I push it again, the LED starts blinking and if I push it again, the light goes off. I would like to know what all these LED light functions mean.

I pulled the half dozen or so fuses from this board (10 and 20 amp) and all of them were OK. I checked the fuse panel inside the living quarters and none of the red LED lights was showing an open circuit but I did not pull them all and ohm them out to check them individually.

Can anyone tell me where to look for the breaker/fuse/reset for this brown wire to the slide solenoid? And also the function of the yellow LED light on that board in the battery compartment?

Thanks so much!

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:08 AM   #2

Bump

Old 12-22-2015, 03:33 PM   #3

SlowrideHD,

Today, I have experienced the same problem as you.

I believe the problem is in the remote module. I believe the module is suppose to supply 12VDC to the brown lead when any of the slide switches, or the remote is used to actuate the slides and it does not. I have already had to replace that module once because it would not communicate with the remote. That was done under warranty. Subsequently, the outdoor/step light function has quit working on the remote. I wired around that problem and installed a manual off on switch rather than the momentary switch which worked the light on the panel. I am going to contact American Technology Components, Inc., the group that supplies the module and remote and discuss the problem with them.

As for the yellow light, that is the function light on the remote module. That LED indicates the remote module is actuated. When you hold it in, it flashes and enters the "learn mode". That is how it identifies which remote it is to work with. If you look on the back of your remote you will see the instructions. I'll let you know how the discussion with ACT goes.
2012 F350 King Ranch, Reese Elite 18 and Air Bags
Elkrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:46 PM   #4

SlowrideHD,

I just spoke to tech support at ATC and was told that the remote control module is defective if I don't see 12VDC on the slide room valve connector when I actuate either the switch or the remote slide room button. I did not see any voltage on the connector so I ordered another module ($200.00 plus S&H), They are building some new modules now and should ship in a week or so. Cedar Creek is now using a new module which has a couple of other light controls on it and only operates the front jacks. Since you have a 2013, your module is probably the same as mine. It is a GS-RLM-01. The tech I spoke with is Kevin and you can reach ATC on 574-262-1258. They are very helpful and easy to deal with. They are located in Elkhart, IN. You may want to check with Cedar Creek first to see if the module is still under warranty. Good luck.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkrun View Post
SlowrideHD,

I just spoke to tech support at ATC and was told that the remote control module is defective if I don't see 12VDC on the slide room valve connector when I actuate either the switch or the remote slide room button. I did not see any voltage on the connector so I ordered another module ($200.00 plus S&H), They are building some new modules now and should ship in a week or so. Cedar Creek is now using a new module which has a couple of other light controls on it and only operates the front jacks. Since you have a 2013, your module is probably the same as mine. It is a GS-RLM-01. The tech I spoke with is Kevin and you can reach ATC on 574-262-1258. They are very helpful and easy to deal with. They are located in Elkhart, IN. You may want to check with Cedar Creek first to see if the module is still under warranty. Good luck.
Thank you so much. That is the first knowledgeable information I have received on this problem. I talked to Forest River and I talked to a tech at Lippert. No one seemed to know what the problem was although I suspected that it was that electronics board.

In the meantime, I hooked a wire to my positive battery post, through a simple on/off toggle switch, and on the the slide solenoid where the brown wire lead normally attaches. This lets me operate my slides from the battery compartment. I just power up the toggle to the slide solenoid at the same time I push the in/out switch. Then I flip the toggle to "off" as soon as I get my finger off the slide "in/out" switch. can't work the slides from inside the cabin though.

Thanks so much for that great information.
Feel free to email me at brady.rodgers@gd-ms.com (my work email) or brodgers459@charter.net (my home).

Old 12-23-2015, 02:17 PM   #6

Hey your welcome. The 12VDC on the solenoid is not critical, in terms of turning it off immediately. I have wired an old light switch next to the level up control board. I turn it on and leave it on until I finish with the slides then turn it off. That way I can control the slides from the battery box area with the white switch, inside at the switch panel or using my remote. The power off mode just closes the solenoid to the off position and this keeps the slides from moving on their own, "creeping", or moving when another part of the hydraulic system is used, i.e. the level up system. After I get the new module, I'll reconnect the slide solenoid wire reattach the porch/step light circuit and I should be good t go.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:24 AM   #7

SlowrideHD, Just wanted to let you know that I received my new control module from ATC. The total was $218.54 with S&H. I installed it (25 minutes) rewired the failed operations back to their original configuration and all works properly now They also sent another remote fob so I now have two that can operate the functions. I'm going to leave one in the truck so I operate the outside light when we return after dark.

Tags
slide