Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 12
Slide starts and stops

I have a 2004 Reflection motorhome. When pulling the living room slide in it will stop momentarily then start up again. It will do this several times before if closes up. On a couple of occasions it has done this even when pushing the slide out. I have the unit plugged into shore power. The slide room also seems to tip out at the top quite a bit, but I don't recall if it always did this or not, just kinda took note of this since this problem started. Also, when we are travelling, sometimes when we get a big wind gust or meet semis the top of the slide will suck out and bang back in. Is there an adjustment for this anywhere. I cannot see any of the slide mechanism from inside or from under the motorhome as everything is closed in. The hydraulic pump has the proper fluid level as well. The rear bedroom slide works fine.
__________________

__________________
Blue Oval Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:45 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
VinceU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Oval Man
I have a 2004 Reflection motorhome. When pulling the living room slide in it will stop momentarily then start up again. It will do this several times before if closes up. On a couple of occasions it has done this even when pushing the slide out. I have the unit plugged into shore power. The slide room also seems to tip out at the top quite a bit, but I don't recall if it always did this or not, just kinda took note of this since this problem started. Also, when we are travelling, sometimes when we get a big wind gust or meet semis the top of the slide will suck out and bang back in. Is there an adjustment for this anywhere. I cannot see any of the slide mechanism from inside or from under the motorhome as everything is closed in. The hydraulic pump has the proper fluid level as well. The rear bedroom slide works fine.
Who is the slide mech. Maker and what is operator style? Oil pistin, oil gear drve, cablle, direct motor. I suspect the slide framework is way out of alignment side to side and top to bottom. Would guess any mfg would provide for these adjustments.
__________________

__________________
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 12
I have no idea of the slide maker. There is nothing about the slide in the motorhome paperwork. It is a hydraulic system with a ram, the hydraulic fluid is to proper level. Could it be a weak circuit breaker cutting in and out? The hydraulic pump doesn't seem to be overworked like the slide is catching on anything and sounds the same as the smaller bedroom slide.
__________________
Blue Oval Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
VinceU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Oval Man View Post
I have no idea of the slide maker. There is nothing about the slide in the motorhome paperwork. It is a hydraulic system with a ram, the hydraulic fluid is to proper level. Could it be a weak circuit breaker cutting in and out? The hydraulic pump doesn't seem to be overworked like the slide is catching on anything and sounds the same as the smaller bedroom slide.
It doesn't matter for now cause you said enough. Pistons and pump is what I was looking for. When two pistons are driven by one pump, the fluid goes to the one with the least resistance. Resistance caused by the mechanism of support the moving slide. Its quite common, my two long slides do it also on occasion. From what you described of the alignment side to side and vertical its enough to cause the crabbing. When piston A proceeds and B lags behind, eventually A will start to bind and B will catch up. Its not a power issue but a mechanical one. You should find who makes the assembly and follow the maintenance suggested. Another thread today has shown a bent piston actuator for a similar reason. Not fun! Oh yes the pump doesn't react as long as A or B is moving. Good luck with it.....

Vince
__________________
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:34 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 12
Thanks for the reply's Vince. I've played with this thing most of the day and really can't find anything obviously wrong. The only adjustment I can find would be at the bottom for the side to side adjustments, can't find any for the up/down. My slide only has one hydraulic cylinder in the center so I guess your theory about piston A and B will have to be thought out some more. I have watched the fluid returning into the tank as the cylinder retracts and it is not the least bit foamy or appear to have any air bubbles in it at all. The pump motor stays nice and cool, when the slide stops moving I have wiggled it around and it seems to be free from any binding and I even silicone all the rubber seals to make sure they were not sticking together.
I looked around some more to try to find some kind of manufacturer markings but no luck. I phoned the Forest River tech number to try and get some info, but they say they do not support the Reflection anymore and couldn't help me, sounds like some terrible support for a unit that they built and now won't even look at or talk about.
Any more ideas would be appreciated but am running out of ideas on my end, might have drive the six hours to a service shop and leave it there for a week while they try to fit it in.
Thanks for the help so far.
David.
__________________
Blue Oval Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
VinceU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Oval Man
Thanks for the reply's Vince. I've played with this thing most of the day and really can't find anything obviously wrong. The only adjustment I can find would be at the bottom for the side to side adjustments, can't find any for the up/down. My slide only has one hydraulic cylinder in the center so I guess your theory about piston A and B will have to be thought out some more. I have watched the fluid returning into the tank as the cylinder retracts and it is not the least bit foamy or appear to have any air bubbles in it at all. The pump motor stays nice and cool, when the slide stops moving I have wiggled it around and it seems to be free from any binding and I even silicone all the rubber seals to make sure they were not sticking together.
I looked around some more to try to find some kind of manufacturer markings but no luck. I phoned the Forest River tech number to try and get some info, but they say they do not support the Reflection anymore and couldn't help me, sounds like some terrible support for a unit that they built and now won't even look at or talk about.
Any more ideas would be appreciated but am running out of ideas on my end, might have drive the six hours to a service shop and leave it there for a week while they try to fit it in.
Thanks for the help so far.
David.
No problem, did this (troubleshooting for a living). Via phone, telex or letter. My next thought, no not dealer) is can you see tle piston during its stroke? I' wondering does the "hesitation" occur near the same position each time? If you could mark the rod with indelible ink you coud tell. What i'm thinking is if the cylinder has a worn or gouged flat spot, then when the piston comes by the oil may escape past the seal and retun to the tank, not push the piston.eventally the pump volume would overcome the leak and contine on its way. Of course these are ony ideas, no maker, dwgs, instuctions or info makes a touch challening for us both. Even still hydraulics on a tractor, truck, ship or RV follow the same principles. While someone operates the slide, maybe you can listen to the cylinder during its stroke, for a sound change. If you find some like this, a hydraulic repair shop would ce closer and cheaper than the "typical" RV repair
__________________
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:57 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 12
OK. I found out the manufacturer by using a mirror and looking at the back of the pump. It is a Dewald system. It has a single ram with cables on a pulley system to keep the room in sync. My guess is one of the cables will need to be adjusted. I was able to find the manual for the system on this site from a gentleman that did his homework and put links up, forget his user name, but if you read this, thanks. Haven't had a chance to look at the system yet today but having the manual will make this a whole lot easier. Thanks Vince for the suggestions.
David.
__________________
Blue Oval Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
VinceU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,502
Great! Navigating caves is always easier with a light!
__________________
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:51 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Great! Navigating caves is always easier with a light!
Yes. HaHa. Yes it is.
__________________
Blue Oval Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
ridersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 116
See now Dave, it would be much easier if it were on a GM chassis

Shaun
__________________

__________________
If you don't like my opinion, I'll give you a full refund on what you paid me for it.
ridersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:47 AM.