Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
Member
 
tclcyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: South Georgia
Posts: 80
Slide stopped working

We are camping this weekend and as we were setting up, my rear slide was almost out and it stopped. It's as if there is no power going to it. I got the manual crank out and got it completely out. Now I am concerned what to do when we start to pack up on Monday. Any ideas as what to check? I checked fuses and all were good. The side slide is still working fine. It is a Shamrock 25RS. Purchased new in February so will be under warranty but if I can't get it in how do I get it to repair shop? Thanks in advance for your help.
__________________

__________________
tclcyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
H2oski
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Hartford, AL
Posts: 637
Do you have a multimeter? Check and see if you have power at the switch. If no power it may be a fuse some where. If you have 12v is the switch good, power coming out to the motor?

If all else fails, enjoy your weekend and then when it's time to go get the manual crank and crank it completely in. Good Luck
__________________

__________________
Wife
2007 Chevy 2500 HD 6.6
2012 Sabre 31RETS
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:33 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
VinceU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclcyl
We are camping this weekend and as we were setting up, my rear slide was almost out and it stopped. It's as if there is no power going to it. I got the manual crank out and got it completely out. Now I am concerned what to do when we start to pack up on Monday. Any ideas as what to check? I checked fuses and all were good. The side slide is still working fine. It is a Shamrock 25RS. Purchased new in February so will be under warranty but if I can't get it in how do I get it to repair shop? Thanks in advance for your help.
Turn the crank the oposite way! Which fuses were good? Slide power supplies are often inline resetable type or circuit breakers maybe 30-50 amps.
__________________
VinceU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
Member
 
tclcyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: South Georgia
Posts: 80
My main concern is my crank is only 2 feet long and my slide is a king size bed. I don't think I will be able crank it all the way in.
__________________
tclcyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
Wanna Be Camper
 
SaskCampers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan
Posts: 2,370
Is your motor for the slide visible under the slide? If so there shouldl be a fuse in the line close to the motor, it probably blew.
__________________

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2016: 3 2017: 0
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #6
Member
 
tclcyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: South Georgia
Posts: 80
I got it!! I had to call the dealer this morning and they pointed me to where the fuse was located. It is located near the battery on the trailer tongue. one of the 30 amp fuses was blown. I made it home and purchased some replacement fuses on the way. I replaced it and opened up the camper to unload and the fuse blew again. I will be setting up an appointment with the dealer on our trip for Independence Day week because we will be going right by there on our way. Hope they can figure out why it is blowing the fuses. Thanks for everyone's help!
__________________
tclcyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:20 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
VinceU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclcyl
I got it!! I had to call the dealer this morning and they pointed me to where the fuse was located. It is located near the battery on the trailer tongue. one of the 30 amp fuses was blown. I made it home and purchased some replacement fuses on the way. I replaced it and opened up the camper to unload and the fuse blew again. I will be setting up an appointment with the dealer on our trip for Independence Day week because we will be going right by there on our way. Hope they can figure out why it is blowing the fuses. Thanks for everyone's help!
Suggest bad motor or slide mechanism binding. Any groans oe scrapes? My bet is on the motor.
__________________
VinceU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:54 PM   #8
Member
 
tclcyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: South Georgia
Posts: 80
Nope no groans or scrapes. It only is happening when extending the slide not retracting it.
__________________
tclcyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:33 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
VinceU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclcyl
Nope no groans or scrapes. It only is happening when extending the slide not retracting it.
Need someone who can measure DC current draw, and voltage drop, can determine if near normal or excessive, will help figure if motor is weak or excess resistance encountered.
__________________
VinceU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:42 AM   #10
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,154
Slides blowing fuses "typically" means:

1) slide overloaded - kitchen slide notorious
2) Slide needs lubrication
3) Slide seals "sticky" (clean with slide seal cleaner)
4) Slide seals frozen (happens after a rain that freezes at night)
6) Lubricating slide mechanism with "grease" that gets dry and sticky with road grime. (Clean with BrakeClean and lubricate ONLY with dry lube or graphite spray.)

WAY down the list is the motor itself. (and I mean way down)
__________________

__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:36 PM.