Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2017, 01:40 PM   #1

Slide stuck

I have a 2003 Cardinal 33TS LX. The slide that contains the standing dinette and couch I found to be leaking. Slide closed, everything is fine and flush on the inside and out with no leak. The slide fully extended, everything has a nice seal except the top left corner by the exit door, which has about an 1/2" gap where the seal is not touching at all. So, I ran the slide half way in, loosened the 2 bolts and turned the vertical bolt to lower the slide to close the gap. Finally, it was real close and I gave the bolt two more turns, but I forgot to run the slide half way in before making the adjustment. Now the side I worked on will not come in. This slide has the floor that drops when extended, so the floor is level. It will not pop up from the level position. I adjusted the slide back to the original setting where I had marked it. Still stuck. It is a Lippert Hydraulic power gear. Please help. I don't want to do anything else, on fear of damage. No dealer fix. Would cost more than the camper is worth.
Cardinal5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:12 PM   #2

slide stuck

Wondering if you got the slide fixed?

My first thought is the slide may be level at the floor inside but the outside part may be too high. Or maybe insufficient power from the pump, batteries or hydraulic arms.

I have a 2005 3 slide Cardinal which was built in April 2004 so I assume we have similar units. Mine likes to stop short of going all the way out or all the way in. I have thrown parts at the problem but it still exits. The problem is the slides work perfectly 90% of the time. Hard to fix a sometime problem.

I have learned that is is critical on my rig that the rv is level from front to rear, before trying to move the slides. The slides drag if the unit is not level.

My rv and other folks have found cracks on the frame behind the wheels. I think my rig sags and stressed the frame. A sagging frame may be affecting your seal issue.

Hope this helps in some way. I will check back to see if you have found a cure.
billmac8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:56 AM   #3

Unit is level and plenty of power.. I called lippert and they seem to think since the slide is not against anywhere, that something may have happened to the drive from the power side to the other. Possibly a sheared pin or broken bolt. I had back surgery a couple months ago or I would have already torn off the bottom enclosure to check for those issues. Going to bite the bullet. Called 3 different mobile rv repair services. Waiting on a return call. Thanx for the advice.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:07 PM   #4

slide stuck

I have owned my rig 12 years and have plenty of slide-out experiences. I have also spent many hours researching slide issues. I also have photos of some of my repairs.

It is easy to determine where your slide gears and shear pin are located. I cut a small 1/2" shallow hole in the belly metal panel to ensure I am in the right area and nothing in my way. Then I cut an access hole about twice the size of my hand. Then it is easy to see and replace a sheared slide pin or gears jamb. After repairing the problem, I use the piece I cut out as a patch. Also gives me easy future access. I have access holes everywhere and replaced probably 6 slide pins. I have learned thru research and experience make sure rv is level before moving slides and to use #5 grade 1/4 inch bolts with aircraft nuts for slide pins.

BTW, on my rig, the hydraulic cylinders push the opposing slides at the rear and a 1" metal square tube is the slave which turns the front slide gear to move it. Both ends of the square tubing have shear pins. So if you think about it, a jamb would have to be in the rear or the slide would try to come in on one end and then bind. That is easy to see from inside as your pressing the switch. You can also tell from how the slide moves which end has the issue.

I paid $375 to get my first slide pin replaced. The repairman said they break all the time. Figured I better learn how to do it. Sure enough they usually break in a campground. I carry the parts with me and replace them in short order. $375 was way too steep.

Hope this helps. You can send me your email if you want photos of mine. I don't know this site system well enough to send photos. Good luck whether you pursue this yourself or use a rv tech.
billmac8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:51 PM   #5

OMG!!! Thank you. All totally makes sense. It is the front/slave side that has stopped working. Thank you for taking the time to help me. Pics would be great!!! zzjasonzz@gmail.com

Tags
slide