Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #21

Try pplmotorhomes.com. Saved over $600.00 from what the dealer wanted for the three toppers. I prefer Carefree of Colorado over Dometic.

btritschler1437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:22 AM   #22

We just bought a New To Us 31Z with slide toppers and I love them, keeps me from having to sweep pine needles and hickory nuts off the top of the slide before leaving or when stored at home. Our main slide out topper does retain water if the trailer is completely level but it runs off when running the slide in. The weight of the water has started to cause a small tear at the edge of the awning material but I have some awning tape to hopefully prevent it from getting any worse.
chugger22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:44 AM   #23

GULP...bit the bullet this week and committed on the toppers. As I said I was going to do, I went to a couple of local independent RV service guys (one works out of a warehouse, the other has a really nice mobile unit) who have been in our area for a long time and have a good track record. Believe it or not, the mobile guy gave me the best total price for 3 toppers AND installation. Of course his labor rate is much lower than CW and he'll do it in my shed. AND, it being the end of the season, he gave me a sweet deal on a 13,500 AC for the front of our 5er. From my research it seems the little guys like Carefree better than Dometic. My guess is that they make more $ off the Carefree. Anyway, I'll let you guys know how it all turns out.
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:10 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by chugger22 View Post
We just bought a New To Us 31Z with slide toppers and I love them, keeps me from having to sweep pine needles and hickory nuts off the top of the slide before leaving or when stored at home. Our main slide out topper does retain water if the trailer is completely level but it runs off when running the slide in. The weight of the water has started to cause a small tear at the edge of the awning material but I have some awning tape to hopefully prevent it from getting any worse.
I have some friends with a 5th wheel that has a big slide and topper. When it rains, the topper holds so much water it actually droops. They solved this by getting a piece of styrofoam and placing it under the topper once the slide is extended. Seems to work well.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:58 PM   #25

Installed Carefree toppers Saturday and they look great. Had Dometic toppers on my Flagstaff, but I think the Carefree looks much better designed and finished. They look great! The guy allowed me to help him install them and I liked how they are put together.

Also installed that second AC that I previously mentioned.

Can't wait to go camping and try'em out.
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
Old 10-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #26
DW's 401(k) Plan

Was the second AC new or used? I had to replace an AC unit not too long ago - total price was right at $880, that included labor.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:44 PM   #27

It was a new Advent DaGrinch. I did a lot of research and heard a lot of nasty comments about the Advent "Chinese" AC. And then I talked with a couple of local RV repair guys who have installed quite a few Advents and said they saw nothing wrong with them. I also found out that supposedly Advent's mother company has made parts for Dometic for years....made in China I might add. So when I got this brand new end of season 13,500 unit installed for less than $600, I jumped on it. The RV service I bought it from did not bat an eye about selling this vs a Dometic. Only time will tell.
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
Old 10-15-2013, 05:35 PM   #28
DW's 401(k) Plan

I had not heard of Advent. But, props to you for the deal! Thanks for the info. I'll file that away for future reference.

Larry

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #29

I have them, my father in law does not. When it comes to clean up, the covers were found to be a tremendous time saver. No or very little dirt underneath. I just used a swifer pad to wipe it down it looked brand new. Took 1 hour to scrub and clean the top on pops' trailer. It still is dirty...yuck.
David 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrlakelover View Post
It was a new Advent DaGrinch. I did a lot of research and heard a lot of nasty comments about the Advent "Chinese" AC. And then I talked with a couple of local RV repair guys who have installed quite a few Advents and said they saw nothing wrong with them. I also found out that supposedly Advent's mother company has made parts for Dometic for years....made in China I might add. So when I got this brand new end of season 13,500 unit installed for less than $600, I jumped on it. The RV service I bought it from did not bat an eye about selling this vs a Dometic. Only time will tell.
I believe Audiovox, Jensen and Advent are owned by the same company. I have an Advent microwave and Jensen TV and stereo on my camper, and all three have worked great.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:48 AM   #31

If your friends slide topper is a dometic (A&E) I believe the tension on the topper is adjustable and may correct the excess sagging.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
If your friends slide topper is a dometic (A&E) I believe the tension on the topper is adjustable and may correct the excess sagging.
Great point. Never thought of that. Thanks.