Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #1

Slide toppers...to be or not to be???

Like many things about RVing, slide toppers/covers seem to be a personal preference. My view is that while the manufacturer designed the slideout not to require a topper, a topper is just insurance against leaks. Also, I feel like toppers may help keep the RV cooler by creating shade and an air space over the slideout. I'm curious what the rest of you think about the investment, which is pretty pricey if you have several slideouts.
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:06 PM   #2

To be and worth the expense.......
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:17 PM   #3
Happy owner SOB

I just installed 2 on mine. keeps the debris out of the trailer interior.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:23 PM   #4

Thanks Sheriff1...had not thought of that one!

Thanks Fonzie...interested in why you are so in favor of the toppers.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:26 PM   #5

Keeps debris off slide roof, keep slide room cooler inside when in direct sunlight....

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ers-17601.html
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #6

My 27rlws came standard with toppers and boy am I glad. My brother in law has a 5th wheel with a slide and no topper. He closed his slide one very rainy day and did not check for debris from the trees. A branch ripped the top gasket of his slide pretty badly. The subsequent water damage as he drove home through the rain made a mess.
My only concern is that they flap pretty good in wind and I worry about rips
eshenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:43 PM   #7

Our fifth wheel didn't have one but but m/h does on all 3 slides. I like them. No need to check for pine needles or leaves on top of slides. They also keep water outside when we close up.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:18 PM   #8

Thanks for the quick responses. My last 2 RVs came with the toppers and I liked them for the same reasons you all have mentioned. I did not have to invest in them right out of pocket and that's why I'm trying to get input from you guys to help me justify $1200-1500 to myself. :-) I guess they are like awnings over the windows. You can't appreciate them until you've had them.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:09 PM   #9
Always Learning

I've only read of an extremely small number of people who have had them and wouldn't have them again. Most of those people camp in exposed and windy areas and had occasions where they've had to bring the slides in due to the flapping noise.

That said, I must camp in other areas because I've never heard mine. I have them and would have them again for the reasons listed above. I feel for the folks who talk about having to go up with a broom before bringing their slides in OR don't camp under trees to avoid that hassle. I *hate* being on my roof (heights fear) and the slide toppers let me avoid that more often!
Old 07-24-2013, 07:56 PM   #10
Site Team

made the mistake of thinking we could get by without one.
1 year later, we were at CW getting one installed.
would've been cheaper to have it installed before we picked it up from the dealer.
have never regretted getting it and wouldn't have another RV without slide toppers.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:27 PM   #11

I like my slide toppers, but...

My 2011 2314BSS came standard with toppers installed. I Love them 90% of the time as when parked at my house in driveway or at parents and aunts houses I am under trees. Never have to worry about leaves, twigs or bird droppings damaging my seals.

That being said, wife and I spent a week down at Padre Island. The winds were a fairly steady 25 or so and gusted to sometimes 40 mph. The campsite we were assigned put both of the topper's edges into the wind (think wind blowing lengthwise over the trailer). This caused a fair amount of flapping and thus noise and occasionally rocked the trailer. It made it difficult for me to sleep (somewhat light sleeper) and the noise of flapping was irritating at times. There were not any parking slots that would have put the TT's broadside into the which might have reduced the noise and vibrations some. The winds subsided some as the week progressed, but had to deal with the issue the entire time
Old 08-09-2013, 06:48 AM   #12

Thanks everyone. Ok, so you helped me justify installing them on our Sandpiper. Now comes the fun part researching, comparing, buying and installing. Since my FW stays in the shed 95% of it's life and my other toppers were very basic, I don't see investing in toppers with the protective covers....anyone agree/disagree?

Also, does anyone have a good source for the best price on toppers? I know all the normal places to look, like Campingworld and Amazon. But, there's always a guy out there who is a dealer who just wants to make a few bucks, order the product for you and ship it to you for you to install. I've done about everything to my campers over the years (replaced my awning spring, replaced a roof, replaced a floor under master bed due to water tank leak damage, etc). So, I feel pretty confident installing toppers.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:58 AM   #13

I've seen several "How to" videos on YouTube. I bet you could install them yourself. Looks like you will need 2 ladders, a drill and a willing helper.

btw We love ours..
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:22 AM   #14

Thanks for the vote of confidence for sure. Not talking down on anyone, but if some of the guys I've seen in some RV service centers can do this kind of installation, I know I can. Always have to be very aware of what/where you are drilling, what you are connecting to, and sealing against leaks. Other than that....measure twice cut once. And as us guys from the South say, "hey ya'll, watch'is!" Now I just have to figure out which toppers to buy and how much money I want to spend.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:15 PM   #15

I don't have a topper on my slide, and have been considering getting one, but wondered if/how the top seal can be lubed once the topper is put on.
2011 Rockwood 2604
K_and_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #16
Site Team

there really aren't "deals" on slide toppers, since only two companies make them, Carefree of Colorado and A&E Dometic.

we found the best price at CW, including install.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:45 AM   #17

Thanks Bikendan, I've realized there are 2 manufacturers who make the toppers. (I've seen there is another product supposedly offered by Lippert but it is not in their on line store. It's like a sleeve rather than an awning. While it is a cool idea, don't think it is for me.)

I have a couple of small independent RV repair shops in my area. I'm going to approach them about ordering them for me, paying cash, and installing myself. That's the only alternative (hopefully cost effective) I see. If that doesn't work, I'll run across town to our local CW and order them there.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:14 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_and_I View Post
I don't have a topper on my slide, and have been considering getting one, but wondered if/how the top seal can be lubed once the topper is put on.
The top seal really won't need lubricating or at least not as often since it's out of the weather and direct sunlight. If you feel it would still need spritzing, tape a sponge to a broom handle or something similar, spray the lube on the sponge and run it along the upper seal.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #19

I spray as far as I can get my longest slide is 15 feet I made a rod that I can get the rubber slides out so no water can get in
Cowboy 54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:20 AM   #20
outdoor addict

One thing to consider. We have a Coachmen Mirada and when they were installed at the factory they were not very careful about where they installed the screws.

We were camped at Waterton Lakes National Park (known to be very windy) and the as well as the snapping in the wind they actually pulled the mounting screws out of the side of the slide. Upon investigation almost all of the screws on the two slides missed any structure and were just into the panel on the side of the slides. We put in new screws into the frame and they have been fine since. Did have to seal some holes, etc.

So much fun in the wind.

Norm
nakerr is offline   Reply With Quote