Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2018, 09:42 AM   #1

Slideout and Jack problem

I just bought a brand new Sierra 372LOK a couple weeks ago and had it opened up to clean and get organized and when putting it away the big slides would come in about 6" and stop for a couple seconds and start back up again. I keep my finger on the button and would start back up in a few seconds. I started retracting the leveling jacks and same issue. They finally came in but slowly.
Any thoughts.
talatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:46 AM   #2
Always Learning

Are they electric or hydraulic?

Was the battery fully charged?
Old 02-14-2018, 10:51 AM   #3

Need more info on the type/power set-up of slide.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:53 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

If you were on battery, my vote would be for low power. If so, try plugging it in (either to the house, or your tow vehicle) to see if that makes them work right.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Need more info on the type/power set-up of slide.
They are hydraulic, and I was plugged into my house. The unit is only 2 weeks old and batteries where installed they day I picked it up.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by talatch View Post
They are hydraulic, and I was plugged into my house. The unit is only 2 weeks old and batteries where installed they day I picked it up.

Every camper.... has parasite battery power drainage if not plugged into a power source or the battery is not 'disconnected', by a switch or at the battery itself, if the unit does not have a 'battery disconnect' switch.

Does the slide hydraulic system only use 12v as a power source?

https://www.rvoutletmall.com/rv/2018...-372-LOK-12285

Charge up your batteries and/or hook up to 'house' (outside) power source to get full 12v power and then see how the slides move.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:23 AM   #7
Always Learning

How cold was it when you were doing this?
Old 02-14-2018, 11:26 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Don't have hydraulic's so I can't offer any advice there, and if you were plugged in, that shoots down my low battery idea. There is one remote possibility where your battery disconnect might have been thrown, cutting off the ability for your battery to be recharged by the converter, and your converter would have to not power the slides and jacks even when the disconnect is thrown so they're only ever working off the battery, and your slides and jacks work from battery even when the disconnect is thrown (mine are like that, but that's due to the need to put a slide out to reach the disconnect). So many ands in that situation that it's pretty implausible.

Hopefully somebody with more familiarity with your rig will be able to chime in. Hope you find the solution.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:34 AM   #9

Being so New.... Have you called the sDealer and talked with him? If there is an issue of more than a weak battery, the sDealer needs to know that you are having problems with in two weeks, right now, in order to have a 'track' record of this problem. We are very glad that you are here and asking for suggestions, but if things do go south... The sDealer needs to be involved on such a new unit. He may have given you a junk battery and that needs to be replaced, on his dime.... or the hydraulics may need to have some type of adjustment done to them (I do not have hydraulics on my unit).

Call the sDealer and let us know what he says...

Old 02-14-2018, 12:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
How cold was it when you were doing this?
35 F
Old 02-14-2018, 12:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Being so New.... Have you called the sDealer and talked with him? If there is an issue of more than a weak battery, the sDealer needs to know that you are having problems with in two weeks, right now, in order to have a 'track' record of this problem. We are very glad that you are here and asking for suggestions, but if things do go south... The sDealer needs to be involved on such a new unit. He may have given you a junk battery and that needs to be replaced, on his dime.... or the hydraulics may need to have some type of adjustment done to them (I do not have hydraulics on my unit).

Call the sDealer and let us know what he says...
I just called the dealer and the Service Manager told me it could be two things. 1 since it was so cold that the fluid in these units can do some weird things. 2. It could be the relays, so he is sending me relays to replace.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:22 PM   #12

Quote:
What happens when not plugged in? Do slides move at all, even that 6"?

If not, your battery disconnect switch is probably off and you're trying to move the slides by converter power alone. Converters can shut off when overloaded and after a short period go back online as their overload circuit resets.

Batteries can provide enough power alone although it's a strain. Converters often can't, depending of course on max capacity of the converter. That's why it's recommended that there be shore power/generator connected when moving slides. Both battery and converter work together so neither one is overloaded.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post

If not, your battery disconnect switch is probably off and you're trying to move the slides by converter power alone. Converters can shut off when overloaded and after a short period go back online as their overload circuit resets.

Batteries can provide enough power alone although it's a strain. Converters often can't, depending of course on max capacity of the converter. That's why it's recommended that there be shore power/generator connected when moving slides. Both battery and converter work together so neither one is overloaded.
My battery disconnect was not off.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:55 PM   #14

Quote:
I just called the dealer and the Service Manager told me it could be two things. 1 since it was so cold that the fluid in these units can do some weird things. 2. It could be the relays, so he is sending me relays to replace.

This is good to get the sDealer involved. We can give suggestions, but when it comes to having to spend any money.... Let us spend the sDealers first..

Hopefully it will warm up in a day or two and then you can try it before you install the new relay....

Where you do not want to be is....
What was the 'problem'? and what 'fixed' it. Try one thing first and then the other.

"Do not know... I put the new relay in on a hot day and everything worked".

In the mean time, make sure that your batteries are charging up ok through the convertor.

Old 02-14-2018, 02:20 PM   #15

Check that your hydraulic oil level is up in reservoir.
WinterTexan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:46 PM   #16

My coach did the same thing. I added the anti-stiction fluid to the reservoir, cycled it several times and now it works like it should. look at Lippert's website under the customer service section to find the procidure to add the fluid.
BessieHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:56 PM   #17

Mine acts this way if the jacks are retracked first. I have to put the jacks back down - then the slid comes in normally. I always have the pull the slide in first before the jacks.
awc4562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:17 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post

Just got it back from the dealer. All the fittings were loose and they had to tighten them up and added fluid.

Tags
slide