Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2019, 02:01 PM   #1

Slideout issue

I bought a 2014 294BH Cherokee with two slides. The slide control toggle is one switch only for both slides. I used the camper for the first time this past weekend. When I attempted to run the slides out they would go out a few inches and stop I could stop pressing the button and do it again and they would do it again. I finally got them all the way out. Keep in mind I was also plugged into power of the campground with my 30A cable. I figured it was maybe where they had not been used for a while. On Monday I was going to depart the campground and attempted to run my slides back in and they did the same thing but it took longer.

The motors are working and as long as I continue to toggle the button from off to on they eventually go in and out.

I did find out the onboard battery was dead and would not hold a charge.

My question is would the battery cause this issue even though I am on 30A power?

If not would someone help me that is educated on this or has had the same issue.
MICHAEL G WARREN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:36 PM   #2

I had a similar problem with one of my 3 slides. It would go out maybe 6" to 12" and stop. I would release the switch and push, it would continue going out but stop, I would then release the switch again and push. It would finally make it all the way out. It turned out to be a bad switch.
Try pushing on the switch, and when it stops continue pushing a little harder or wiggling it back an fourth while pushing it. That's how I realized It was the switch.
Just a thought.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:53 PM   #3

If I am not mistake most slide work off of the battery. So a bad house battery does hamper the operation of the slide. Have you tried it again after replacing with a good battery?
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:26 PM   #4

My directions for my slide state, fully charged battery/batterys and connected to shore power. Batterys have the amperage required to get started and run with the converter assisting with the operation. That is for optimal operation.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:46 PM   #5
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICHAEL G WARREN View Post
I bought a 2014 294BH Cherokee with two slides. The slide control toggle is one switch only for both slides. I used the camper for the first time this past weekend. When I attempted to run the slides out they would go out a few inches and stop I could stop pressing the button and do it again and they would do it again. I finally got them all the way out. Keep in mind I was also plugged into power of the campground with my 30A cable. I figured it was maybe where they had not been used for a while. On Monday I was going to depart the campground and attempted to run my slides back in and they did the same thing but it took longer.

The motors are working and as long as I continue to toggle the button from off to on they eventually go in and out.

I did find out the onboard battery was dead and would not hold a charge.

My question is would the battery cause this issue even though I am on 30A power?

If not would someone help me that is educated on this or has had the same issue.
Yes, a bad battery will cause the symptoms you describe. The converter in your RV will not have enough amperage available to run the slides in/out.

Good, properly charged and maintained batteries will operate the slides without assistance from the converter.

See this link New to RV's helpful hints by wmtire for more info regarding many aspects of your RV.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:01 PM   #6

it's like drowning, but near the surface - you can catch a quick breath, but then you are being 'pulled' down under again, and so forth...

when the batteries are at a more 'full' state of charge, like being able to stand on the bottom of the pool, they'll have a much easier time running the slides than when they are constantly being 'pulled down', and grasping for breath!

being plugged into shore power means little, since there's not enough time for the charger to charge the batteries much between slide runs... but that little bit of power gives it enough volts for a second or so... and so forth.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:44 PM   #7
Commercial Member

MICHAEL G WARREN,

We would be happy to assist you with your 2014 Cherokee. Because your ongoing satisfaction is very important to us, we invite you to contact Mikala Yoder in our Customer service department through the following personalized and direct link: Forest River RV Direct Service Contact - Forest River, Inc..

This direct link is provided for your convenience in order that we may resolve your concerns as quickly as possible. We will strive to respond to you within 24 hours of receiving your correspondence.

Respectfully,
Forest River
ES_FR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:20 PM   #8

I forgot to mention my slides are hydraulic controlled. The fluid was at normal levels.

I forgot to look but is the battery a standard car battery or a deep cycle battery?
Old 01-23-2019, 06:55 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICHAEL G WARREN View Post
I forgot to mention my slides are hydraulic controlled. The fluid was at normal levels.

I forgot to look but is the battery a standard car battery or a deep cycle battery?
You should never be using a car battery in a trailer.
Should always be a deep cycle battery.
You need to determine what kind of battery you have, not us or FR, on a 5 year old trailer.
Trailer batteries are not a manufacturer installed item.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:05 PM   #10

I went down to coast and retrieved my battery from my camper. It is a deep cycle and I hooked it to my battery charger and charged it on 3amp until fully charged. I plan on going down this weekend and trying it out. I sure hope it fixes my issue.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:03 PM   #11

I decided to go down to the camper on 01/26/2019 and retrieve the battery so I could charge it. The battery showed to be 76% charged but I still put it on the charger at a rate of 3 amp and I charged it until the charger kicked out and showed 100% and 13.8v I went down this weekend and installed the battery. I pressed the slide button for the slides to go out and they went out a little ways and stopped and would not move any farther. I continue to press the button and they would not do anything. I waited about 1-2 minutes and press the button again and they went out just about 3 inches more and stopped. I continued this process 8 to 10 times until they finally made it out all the way. The manufacture states to use Drylube on the rails. I went and bought some at Lowes and came back and lubed everything. I then proceeded to try to retract them and I had the same issue. After about 20 minutes I tried again to run them out and I had the same issue.

Have I missed anything? I am puzzled at what to do next.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:25 PM   #12

I would first suspect the slideout relay not holding in the "on position".
Old 02-07-2019, 09:34 PM   #13

What was the outdoor temperature when you tried the slide outs? Hydraulics are sluggish in colder weather.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:01 PM   #14

The place I bought it at sent out a man to look at the camper. In between the battery and the hydraulic pump there is an electrical buss connection point with a relay. It was found to be loose and corroded. They are going to order a new one and come back and install it.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:43 AM   #15

Slides not moving

Had silverback 31ik in for warranty work. Picked it up, batteries dead inverter not working ( duh, dead batteries). Charged batteries all night , are at 13.1, plugged into shore power. Slides won’t move (hydraulic). Everything else seems to be working. Any thoughts?
Ladycel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:49 AM   #16

check for a tripped/flagged Buss Breaker in your battery or inverter compartment
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide