Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2016, 09:41 PM   #1

Slideout problem coachmen Freedom Express

Word of warning if you have the same layout as I do. Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition 292BHDS. When retracted you cannot see the pantry door. Our pantry door somehow was open. As the slide was extended it caught on the door. We stopped it almost immediately but the damage was done. The bottom hinge was pulled out and the middle hinge damaged on the cabinet (not that much of an issue actually).

The problem was the metal frame underneath the slideout was bent including the bracket. No gear damage as far as I can tell. What a poor design. When the slide is in you have squeeze to get back to even see the pantry door. We are always very meticulous in shut down and I know I closed it.

Have an appointment Thursday to take it in to the dealer, keeping my fingers crossed.

I will be attaching some sort of latch on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	View 1.JPG
Views:	317
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	116421  
Old 08-13-2016, 04:55 PM   #2

I have the '15 310 BHDS and it sounds as if the floor plan is similar. I don't trust anyone to do the "pre-fold it all up" walk through but me. Yes, IF we forget to close or properly latch the pantry door it could be caught by the dinette slide. One thing I have noticed on my unit is the poor quality of cabinet latches. After replacing two (2) of these latches and inspecting others I went and bought six (6) of these. The latches I bought are a bit better then the factory latches for sure. We use the little closet closest to the stove for our pantry and the one on the side with the dinette is for towels, etc. I have already removed the factory latch on these doors and both of the doors in the bedroom and replaced them with two (2) latches per door.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:48 PM   #3

After looking at my unit today I noticed that the pantry doors are left hinged. Even if I were to leave the pantry door open it would not catch on anything.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:58 PM   #4

Ours is right hinged and it seems like a poor design choice. They fixed it under warranty and I think I am going to install some sort of lock to the pantry door.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:16 PM   #5

I left my bathroom door open, while closing the slide the door caught the table and ripped both of the floor mounting rings out of the floor.

2012 F150 FX4 Crew 5.0 3.73 gears
2O12 Coachman Freedom Express 292BHDS (outdoor Kitchen)
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 12:54 AM   #6

Ouch! Did they cover it for you or did you fix it yourself?
Old 10-02-2016, 01:14 PM   #7

It was an easy fix, just rotated the floor rings an inch and drove screws back in. The hardest part was one of the table legs at the bottom was a bit bent out of shape so I had to finesse that a bit to get it to stand straight.

2012 F150 FX4 Crew 5.0 3.73 gears
2O12 Coachman Freedom Express 292BHDS (outdoor Kitchen)
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coachmen, freedom express, slide, slide out