Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #1

slideout removal

what is the procedure to remove the (dinette) slideout from the camper shell. i need to do this to replace the flooring & then reseal it.
soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:40 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Te real question is, why do you think you need to remove it? What problems are you having? They might can be fixed if you would give a few more details on your problem. It is not a job you can do in your driveway. You need an enclosed garage, in case it rains and the slide is out, it will rain in. You need jacks, supports, friends, and a lot more. Might want to post a few more details. Also camper year and model.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:44 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
Te real question is, why do you think you need to remove it?
Exactly. I'm sure that I've read of floors replaced and slide seals replaced without removing the slideout.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:47 PM   #4

One of the big problems with removing a slide is how to reattach the inside trim that also holds the seal. I don't know what the factory uses, but it has to be attached extremely well, otherwise it would just pull off when the slide is extended.
You should be able to do an acceptable job of reflooring without removing the sldie.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:45 AM   #5
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Back when we were shopping for a 5'er, practically every 06-07 Cedar Creek we looked at had "punky" rotted bottom exterior floors on the slides, especially in the corners. The shop quoted $2000 to replace the lower floor. They said it required removal to do it correctly and that they used the fork lift to remove the slide.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87CrewDually View Post
Back when we were shopping for a 5'er, practically every 06-07 Cedar Creek we looked at had "punky" rotted bottom exterior floors on the slides, especially in the corners. The shop quoted $2000 to replace the lower floor. They said it required removal to do it correctly and that they used the fork lift to remove the slide.

I agree (with the weight), after all, it is a huge wooden box clad in aluminum sheeting. But, it MAY be necessary if the wood is rotted or soft all the way to the edge. It still may be possible to "sneak" the new flooring under the slide edge and still be OK as long as it is screwed down tight as close to the edge as possible. Good luck and keep us posted.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I was thinking that the OP wanted to replace the flooring as in lino or carpeting. If he's wanting to replace the sub-floor, I understand the need to remove the slideout.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:31 PM   #8
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
I was thinking that the OP wanted to replace the flooring as in lino or carpeting. If he's wanting to replace the sub-floor, I understand the need to remove the slideout.

Dave
My interpretation was the bottom support sheet, so I answered accordingly. To do it right, I see no other way but to remove it. To do the carpeting or flooring is a no brainer, hardly worth asking IMO.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #9

I just checked this & saw all of your responses. Thank you for your input. I will have my boyfriend look at each of your suggestions & comments this evening & we will reply with specifics.
soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:43 PM   #10

I just replaced the floor in my front slide a couple of weeks ago and It was fairly easy. Also it was the smaller one and not the dinette. The night before, I started on the inside, with the slide "in". The trim is all attached with air nails and will pull right off. Behind that is a 2x4 that is wrapped with rubber roof material. Just pull the staples out and label each board ( left, right, top and note the orientation of each). The 2x4's are screwed to the slide wall. After all of the 2x4's are removed, secure the rubber wrapping so the slide can be pulled out past the wiper seals.

You need to remove everything attached to the floor. This willl make the slide eaiser to handle. (I did all of this myself so far) The slide is not as heavy as you'd think.(mostly aluminum in the walls) Remove the flashing from the slide so you can slide it out on a frame. I built a frame of 2x4's and braced it to make it sturdy. Keep in mind that I just threw this together with screws and it took no time to build or remove . for my slide I used 2- 8 foot 2x4 rails, just under the slide floor 1/4 to 1/2 inch. you might need 3 coming straight out from the side of the camper. The slide floor is attached to the bottom of the walls with screws ( notice the holes in the fabric under the slide) Now you need 2 more people... After the screws are removed from the bottom, lean the slide back away from the floor, like opening a clam shell. remove old floor and use for a pattern if you can. Also try to save the floor wrapping unless you can get it new. I did all my prep work the evening before a nice day and had it all finished that day.

I used 3/4 treated plywood to replace 3/4 OSB. It was my first time doing this and it all went smoothly.

Hope This helps