Old 11-13-2018, 02:03 PM   #1

Slideout Retracting Issue

I have Cardinal with 4 slides that work off on hydraulic pump. One of the 4 slides is what I call a drop in slide. I just started having problems getting slide to slide over Teflon strips and lift up and slide into camper. Check to make sure there wasn't anything hanging up on slide. While trying to get this slide in the pump sounds like it is under a load. Is it possible the motor is getting weak or pump isn't strong enough to get this slide in. I have noticed that the other 3 slides don't move in and out as fast as they used to also. Fluid level is good and don't have any leaks on system. I am able to place jack on outside of slide and lift enough to get slide over hump and pump will retract it then. I have sprayed dry lube on Teflon strips to see if this would help. Looking for suggestions on possible problem before I bring it to dealer to have him trouble shoot issue.

bullet13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 02:28 PM   #2

What the outside temp?? Below 40 you will notice that the fluid is thicker and everything moves a little slower. But it should still be able to put it in. My Sandpiper has 2 of the 3 slides like yours (1 16' long and 1 14' long) and it will still pull them in even down in the teens. Its slow going but they go.

koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 02:34 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I live in south Louisiana. Our temps don't get very cold. The temp in day time has been around 70 degrees. The slide has been working fine up until our last rv trip this is when I noticed that it struggled to pull back in. Once at home I had slide out and when trying to pull it back in it wouldn't come in.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:45 PM   #4

At 70 it should be fine, sounds like a trip to the dealer is in order
koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 02:53 PM   #5
Just as confused as you

Your profile says you have a 2009 model and you say the other slides don't seem to operate as fast as they used to. Though I'm not experienced with the hydraulic slides I have read that the hoses used are not all that high quality. My experience with hydraulic systems leads me to suggest you examine the hoses for any bulging, cracking, dampness (seepage) or swelling. Beware, when checking for bulging, dampness or swelling it's best to wear leather gloves. If the hose has steel wire braiding sticking out of the hose it will be sharp and can penetrate quite deep, rubber gloves will not stop it. Seepage can happen for quite some time before you need to add oil to the tank.

Some hoses will delaminate as they age. I have seen the inner liner of hoses split and the oil gets between the layers, the pressure will then force the inner layer to restrict the hose. Sometimes the inner layer will break into chunks and get pushed to smaller places of the system like fittings and plug them. This can happen because of age and is always the first sign of hose failure. Even high quality hoses can experience this type of failure.
Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
The Faster I Go, The Behinder I Get.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:01 PM   #6

Thanks. I have dropped the metal panel on belly of rv where this slide is located to check for hose to see if they were kinked but didn't really look for hoses to be bulging. Will have take another look. The other slides move in and out with out trouble just seems to be slower than they used to.

Tags
slide