Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2013, 08:14 PM   #1
on_the_bayou

Slideout twist

When I started to close the doorside slideout on my fiver, It started in about 6 inch then started to twist. Then I tried to open the slideout it twisted the other way. I have a Prime Time 290RLT Crusader. The slide is a Lippert Electric System. I do not see how to manually close the slideout.
Any help would be appreciated.
PrimeTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:43 PM   #2

sounds like one side is not being drivin.. maybe a loose set screw on the gear? can you push on the dead side while someone else presses the button.
davidjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #3
on_the_bayou

Tried that. The slideout won't move.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:11 PM   #4
Graduate Member

I'm no expert, but it looks like you're needing a solution sooner than later. In my humble experience with slides, there is a bolt either under the slide or on the opposite side of the RV. Turning the bolt is the manual method.

Search this forum for better instructions, and also google search for Lippert Components - they have all their manuals online which also instruct how to manually move their slides (hoping you have a lippert, cuz I don't know any other brand names)

But more than likely a quick search of FRF and you'll have it.
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #5
H2oski

Look in the files section in the green bar at the top of the page, I think your manual is there. Have you looked under your slide? There is a square bar between the two drive gears. Is it turning both drive gears? If it is it sounds like one of the drive gears are stripped. Sorry can't give yuo much more info.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:51 PM   #6
William

Is this the bedroom slide with the gears on the side of the slide and the motors in the wall?
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:00 PM   #7
on_the_bayou

This is the slideout in the rear living area. The table and entertainment center The one in the bedroom is the Schwink Inwall slideout.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:09 PM   #8
William

My 320 has a the manual crank on the underside of the slide. It doesn't have an access point for the crank, but is accessible under the slide. The shaft runs the length of the trailer connecting to the gears on the underside of the slide. Hope this helps and it is the same on the 260.
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:27 PM   #9

First make sure your level and then if you go under the slide you'll see there is a shaft that connects the motor end of the slide to the slave side (no motor)of the slide. Identify which end of the slide is not moving correctly and disconnect the shaft at the other end. Remove the 3/8 nut and bolt from the shaft that connects them and then using a cresent wrench turn the square shaft until the slide lines up. Put nut and bolt back and close the slide. That should get the slide aligned. Worked for me, should work for you.
Mr.z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #10

Not totally familiar with slide out mechs but most mechanical devices that turn like this have a shear pin. Maybe this does and it broke??? just saying
2012 Rockwood 2109S (Sold)
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS

wbdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #11

Could be. If you find the shaft I spoke about and look at both ends you'll see if the pin (nut & bolt) broke.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:54 PM   #12
on_the_bayou

Thanks for all of the suggestion and help. Mr.Z you almost nailed it. The problem was with shaft that connected both sides to to motor. The bolt on the side oppisite the motor fell out when the slide moved in about six inches. The other side continued until I stopped it. Customer Service at Prime Time Manufacturing contacted me today and led me to that bolt. I was able to straighten the slide and put the bolt back into the hole and connect the shafts.
I checked the other end of the shaft and found that the bolt did not a nut. It could have also fell out. I checked the slideout both ends of the shaft had nuts. Everyone that Lippert Electirc slides should check these shafts for nuts on the bolt.

2012 Crusader 290RLT
2012 Silverado Diesel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-01-29 17.03.01.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	23635  
Old 01-29-2013, 07:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeTime View Post
Thanks for all of the suggestion and help. Mr.Z you almost nailed it. The problem was with shaft that connected both sides to to motor. The bolt on the side oppisite the motor fell out when the slide moved in about six inches. The other side continued until I stopped it. Customer Service at Prime Time Manufacturing contacted me today and led me to that bolt. I was able to straighten the slide and put the bolt back into the hole and connect the shafts.
I checked the other end of the shaft and found that the bolt did not a nut. It could have also fell out. I checked the slideout both ends of the shaft had nuts. Everyone that Lippert Electirc slides should check these shafts for nuts on the bolt.

2012 Crusader 290RLT
2012 Silverado Diesel
I would put some thread lock sealant on those bolts/nuts
2012 Rockwood 2109S (Sold)
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS

wbdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:44 PM   #14

Slide Out

If its the slide that does have the motor driven tracks at the top and bottom of each slide, then it has to be the one that has the screw jack under the floor type..That being the case, remove the access panel on the underside of the RV...Locate where the screw jack is attached at one end..you can use socket, think its a 5/8" to rachet the screw enough to get the slide stated, you can actually rachet the slide all the way in, takes a little while if it want engage after getting it started..Try that....should get it going...make sure you do not have your fingers in there if someone else operates the button to retract that puppy..
LKicklight

Quote:
When I started to close the doorside slideout on my fiver, It started in about 6 inch then started to twist. Then I tried to open the slideout it twisted the other way. I have a Prime Time 290RLT Crusader. The slide is a Lippert Electric System. I do not see how to manually close the slideout.
Any help would be appreciated.
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:09 AM   #15

My 320 is back at the dealer because the horizontal slide gear seems to be out of alignment, that's what caused my slider to come back in crooked. They are also working on one of my automatic stabilizers which has not worked since the day I brought it home. Bought this unt and did PDI on 12/18/12 and have had it at home a total of 3 days. Thankfully it's winter and I just hope it gets better.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:55 AM   #16

Service

If you look back at some of our previous post, you will see this was our experience for more than twelve months getting our unit repaired..should have never left the factory..and should have gone back for repairs..Learned a lot from this puppy..

Quote:

2012 Crusader 290RLT
2012 Silverado Diesel
Old 01-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #17

REpairs

Sure glad you found out what was going on with that puppy...most of us can only take a SWAG at what's going on...Our case was the same, heck we did not know the workings of these units..Seems to be a short circuit between what the engineers designed and what the mechanics actually installed, a better quality control at the factory would go a long way to fix these problems. If you ever get an opportunity to visit the Corvette Factory at Bowling Green Kentucky, you will see what I mean..Every Vette that comes off the line goes thru what they CAROLINE...
Old 01-30-2013, 10:15 AM   #18

My virtually new 2013 Rockwood is currently at the dealer for the same repair. The street side slide "cocks" when going in or out. I hope to have it back this week as we head to Charleston the second week of Feb.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:21 AM   #19
Commercial Member

I'd be curious to see what RV Guy says, I think we works for Prime Time. You might even PM him. Just an idea. In fact you might post this in the "Prime Time" section as I imagine he spends more time there.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:25 AM   #20

I had this issue recently and found that that Lippert Components have a number of U-Tube video's that cover this.
I am assuming that the Slider is the Schwintek system. This is the site..
Frances Richards is offline   Reply With Quote