Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2017, 05:21 PM   #1

Slides move with no power

This one has me baffled, stumped. Last fall the wife said I left two slides part way out. After calming her down and retracting both slides things went great for the winter. Today was nice so I checked the 5er and sure enough two of the 3 slides were part way out again. One was by a foot and the other a couple of inches The 5er is up on blocks leveled and battery removed, I installed a battery and retracted the slides again. What can be happening, will this happen driving down the road. Do I have to drive a big nail through the slides and bend them over on the inside. At ideas???
2014 Blue Ridge 3125RT
2016 Ram3500 4x4 SRW 6.7 68RFE 3:42
2014 Blue Ridge 3125RT
PullRite Super Glide
149252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 05:44 PM   #2
win

Are the slides hydraulic?
Could be thermal expansion. Just a thought!!
Or you have gremlins [emoji23]
win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 05:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by win View Post
Are the slides hydraulic?
Could be thermal expansion. Just a thought!!
Or you have gremlins [emoji23]
They are hydraulic 6 way. Just closed all the valves on the valve body. I think this may be expansing because of the weather swings that we have.
2016 Ram3500 4x4 SRW 6.7 68RFE 3:42
2014 Blue Ridge 3125RT
PullRite Super Glide
149252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 06:05 PM   #4
win

In theory they should not move because of the lock valves but if the piston seals are leaking internally you would have movement
win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:46 PM   #5

My 5th wheel is in the shop waiting for a part. Hydraulic leak from slide ram. Slide came out while I was driving down the interstate. Also two front Jacks started coming down while driving. When it looses the fluid it looses the ability to hold. So yes it can happen while you're driving.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:58 PM   #6

Smile Slide Outs slidding when not wanted

Similar problem with my Cardinal, dinning/living room slide coming out while traveling down the road. There is a procedural test your shop can perform the information is located at the Lipper site. As stated, the hydraulic fluid is by-passing the O rings in the rams that operate the slide. Thank goodness for extended service contract.
bobkatz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 03:20 PM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to Boots49
I had the same problem, turned out to be a leaking piston. The problem is to find out which one is leaking. You may find hydraulic fluid on the ground or on the frame of your RV. You may also have it, as in my case under the bladder, it took my dealer 3 return visits before they found the leak& replaced the piston. I hope this helps.

Al & Susanne
Aka: Puss 'n Boots
Wildcat 31 TS - Silverado 2500 DuraMax Diesel
Tip of the Day: Stay safe, have fun and never leave the cat out in the rain!
Boots49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 04:49 PM   #8

My Cardinal had the bedroom slide sneak out while it was parked over the winter. I never figured out what caused it, but a simple (and perhaps unsatisfactory solution, but one that works if you can't get to the shop right away) is a gadget called a slide lock. All the RV supply stores carry them. It's a simple extendable locking bar that fits between the flange or gasket on the slide and the wall of the RV. It holds the slide in while you're traveling or storing the unit. You just have to remember to remove it when you run the slide out because it may do some body damage if you extend the slide with the lock in place. I had some body work done on my trailer and the slide stopped creeping, but I carry the slide lock with us just in case.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 04:52 PM   #9

I had a similar situation. Slide outs going out some on their own. Determined it was a master cylinder. Retracted all slides and then turned off each slide control knob. Turn them on to open or close slides. Turn off rest of time. Waiting for replacement part.
Rollingdunder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 10:01 AM   #10

If a Schwintec slide then be aware that it requires 12 v to hold slide in any position. Without power to the controller which is power to the motors the slide can be moved by manually pushing, so blocking before moving RV is req'd. This is good to know to get home w a malfunctioning slide.
(I realize this does not explain movement of slide when stationary. Earthquake?)
tuxedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:18 AM   #11

We are having the same issue on our 365SAQ . If left even 24 hours, we notice our front bedroom slide is coming out on it's own. I've found no leaks near pump or front bedroom cylinder; problem is, all the other cylinders are not easily accessible and we do not have a technician nor repair shop within 330 KM. Have been on the phone and email to our dealer Fraserway in Edmonton (450km away), who basically stated leaking o-ring on cylinder or debris in needle valve, neither of which I've found yet. Huge frustration, as we have the full warranty and basically have no use if the unit until repaired.
mymercury65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:30 AM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymercury65 View Post
We are having the same issue on our 365SAQ . If left even 24 hours, we notice our front bedroom slide is coming out on it's own. I've found no leaks near pump or front bedroom cylinder; problem is, all the other cylinders are not easily accessible and we do not have a technician nor repair shop within 330 KM. Have been on the phone and email to our dealer Fraserway in Edmonton (450km away), who basically stated leaking o-ring on cylinder or debris in needle valve, neither of which I've found yet. Huge frustration, as we have the full warranty and basically have no use if the unit until repaired.
The leaking you are getting could be blow by, where the oil is leaking from one end of the cylinder to the other. All of this is done internally, so you won't see a leak outside the cylinder. Have you tried bleeding the system to make sure there is no air in the system?
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:18 AM   #13

Have not tried bleeding system... "how to?"
Old 06-20-2017, 11:22 AM   #14

Good luck. Been going on for a year with me. Headed to factory after FROG. One failure in mine is the motherboard for the remote (not a Lippert product). It will have to be replaced. Meanwhile, it's wired around in a workaround. Still, slides won't go in, won't go out, won't stay in...........big mess. But messing with it for an hour, usually they go in. I JUST did this, headed camping this afternoon. They are finally in and holding. Whew.

FYI, the remote does not have to be used, ever.......most folks don't....but your system IS wired through it and if it fails it might hold power and keep slides from staying in.

And then, there are about 21,390 other possible things it could be. 21,389 of them are way over my head.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymercury65 View Post

My system is a Lippert. It only has the one electronic switch inside the unit and one right by the pump. There are no shut of valves as all cylinders work at once. We are having no problem putting slides in or taking them out - but once in, the front slide will gradually creep out over time. Short of driving the 450km to our dealer ... not many options.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:21 PM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

To bleed the system extend the slides and landing gear all the way out and make sure you have plenty of fluid in the tank. Cycle the slides and gear a couple times to their full extent and back. I had a 365saq prior to my Gtown. If this doesn't help, I would say either the cylinder has a bad seal or the reversing valve is leaking. You can also look under bed and remove the plywood cover and make sure the lines are tight on the ram. I had a 365saq before I bought my Gtown.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, slide