Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2020, 09:15 AM   #1

Slides not retracting?

I have a 2000 Forest River Cedar Creek 33 ft fifth wheel that the slides won't retreat . It's the model 33rk BS the slides begin to retreat and then start clicking and it stops now I'm stuck between in and out and worried about leakage . Any suggestions is there fluid in the hydraulic pump or something that needs to be done I'm hooked up to shore power ,the batteries may also need to be replaced I'm a little lost thank you in advance for any help.
LECTRICHUNTRMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:29 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Hello,

Lippert has a known issue with breakers being undersized. Make sure you have AC power plugged in and batteries turned on. The pump needs all the voltage possible to run the pump with less current.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LECTRICHUNTRMAN View Post
I have a 2000 Forest River Cedar Creek 33 ft fifth wheel that the slides won't retreat . It's the model 33rk BS the slides begin to retreat and then start clicking and it stops now I'm stuck between in and out and worried about leakage . Any suggestions is there fluid in the hydraulic pump or something that needs to be done I'm hooked up to shore power ,the batteries may also need to be replaced I'm a little lost thank you in advance for any help.
The clicking would make me think you have a battery issue. How old are the batteries? Even though you are connected to shore power if the batteries are not taking a full charge they will not operate the slides. Clicking is the usual sign of that..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:58 AM   #4

That makes sense. Are there certain size batteries I should use ? I have to travel to get to the rv so I'd like to take the batteries with me ? I presume it's two ?
Old 01-20-2020, 03:24 PM   #5

Broken slide??

We had the exact same issue with one of the slides. That clicking sound ended up being some of the gear teeth cracking off from the retraction gear assembly. The gears are basically pot metal and not very durable once the slide gets out of alignment ever so slightly. Once they are replaced the slide worked perfectly (knock on wood!). Check the gears and see if they are damaged. Also, there is a bolt that attaches to the slave drive that had snapped and that caused the slide to be inoperative, too! Using a high forged bolt really helped.Good luck!
Oneiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:03 PM   #6

Quote:
That makes sense. Are there certain size batteries I should use ? I have to travel to get to the rv so I'd like to take the batteries with me ? I presume it's two ?
I’m not sure how many batteries you have. Most 5th wheels come from the factory with a single 12v marine deep cycle battery with ~85aH of capacity. I’m sure others with more battery knowledge will chime in here.

Do you have jumper cables or a jumper box that could boost your battery until you get the slide in/out. Then you can see what batteries you have.

How long have you owned the RV? Ever change the battery? How about maintaining? Good luck..

Old 01-21-2020, 09:45 AM   #7

Great advice ! I'll try the batteries and check the gears. Could the batteries also affect my duel fuel propane electric refrigerator as well ? Thanks for replying.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:11 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Great advice ! I'll try the batteries and check the gears. Could the batteries also affect my duel fuel propane electric refrigerator as well ? Thanks for replying.
Your batteries would ONLY affect the propane side of the fridge. They provide power for the electronics and to ignite the propane.
The electric side is 120v AC, not 12v DC battery power.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:20 AM   #9

Based on replies here I checked and replaced battery. Then found it low on hydraulic fluid in the pump. Now it works like new ! Thx.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Based on replies here I checked and replaced battery. Then found it low on hydraulic fluid in the pump. Now it works like new ! Thx.
Thx for replying back about the successful fix

Old 01-27-2020, 10:43 AM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Glad you figured it out.
Just wanted to be sure you checked the hydraulic fluid with the slides closed cause if you filled to the fill line with them open , the hydraulic fluid will be way overfilled and run out the cap vent when you retract the slides.

Also, how much fluid did you add?
The original had to leak out somewhere. Hydraulic fluid doesn't evaporate.
Quote:

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:59 AM   #12

Yes I have the manual and followed that procedure. 2 quarts of fluid. I agree it must have a slow leak somewhere which I'll research further later. The 5th wheel is my hunting home so I only open close a couple times a year. I never knew about the fluid so it may have been low 4 years ago when I got it ? I'll check it again next time I go to camp. Thank you for your help.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:05 PM   #13

3 Slides stuck in out position

I have a 2011 Forest River 378ts I used it this past weekend with no issues. I got home opened the slides to give the interior a good cleaning and now none of the slides will retract. When I press the close button I hear a clicking sound but no motor running. I tried to close with shore power, generator, battery, and RV running all have the same result. This is my first RV and I've only had it for two months so I have no idea where to start. I checked fuses at least those that I could find. I turned off all circuit breakers and back on. Any suggestions?
ontheedgedth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:44 PM   #14

I replaced my battery and that's all my problem not sure how you checked your battery under a loads different than just voltage good luck

Tags
slide