Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2019, 04:34 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post
From the picture shown it appears to be a Progressive Dynamics PD4560. The converter section can be easily swapped out without pulling the distribution panel.

Link to troubleshooting and replacement of converter section.
Nice reference, I missed that when I asked where it was...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 05:53 PM   #42

op has stated that he has checked voltage at converter terminals and has check the three fuses on the converter (reverse polarity). at this point it has to be simple to find out whether the converter is working or not. is it getting input power. the implication is that it is as all 120 devices are receiving power. is it outputting 12 volt power? op has stated that it is not. please verify that the a above it true. use the input and output terminals on the converter in order to bypass any loose wire or bad connection. i again ask, have the reverse polarity fuses been checked with a meter? and in the future when making statements such as 'no power' please be more specific such as no 12 volt power or no 120 volt power.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:08 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
op has stated that he has checked voltage at converter terminals and has check the three fuses on the converter (reverse polarity). at this point it has to be simple to find out whether the converter is working or not. is it getting input power. the implication is that it is as all 120 devices are receiving power. is it outputting 12 volt power? op has stated that it is not. please verify that the a above it true. use the input and output terminals on the converter in order to bypass any loose wire or bad connection. i again ask, have the reverse polarity fuses been checked with a meter? and in the future when making statements such as 'no power' please be more specific such as no 12 volt power or no 120 volt power.
yes i'm getting input power the 110v receptacles are hot

no, not getting 12v output power. the battery discharges.

yes the fuses have been checked and rechecked with a meter.

is the converter inside the distribution panel?
thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	converter-1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	314.8 KB
ID:	213858  
DavidAndDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 07:22 PM   #44

most likely it is behind the distribution panel. but in post #12 you said you checked the three fuses at the converter. how did you do this without knowing where the converter is. stop check 120 receptacles. the suspicion is that you have a problem with the converter. to determine if this is the case we need to know if the converter is getting 120 vac input power and if it is producing 12 vdc output power. in my opinion that is all that matters at this time. we need to prove whether the converter is producing 12 volt output power. it does seem that it is. the reason for this could be:

- converter not receiving 120 vac input power
- converter has failed
- converter reverse polarity fuses are blown

if it is determined that the converter is producing 12 vdc power then the investigation will concentrate on the cables between the converter and the batteries include disconnect switch and resetable circuit breaker.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:29 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAndDonna View Post

thanks
Look at post #37.. there is a link to show you where everything is..

Old 08-30-2019, 07:33 PM   #46

The question is. Are you getting 120 volts from the 15 amp breaker marked Converter?? If yes, follow it the wire (black and white) to the converter input lugs. Find the output lugs and see if you have 12 volts there. Fine the two 30 or 40 amp reverse polarity fuses and check them. find the reset-able inline fuse near the battery. Check it. Check the battery disconnect switch. Much more help than that we cannot give you.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 07:33 PM   #47

Your converter is behind the louvers on your power panel. The power goes to one of the breakers. You need to verify that the converter is getting AC voltage.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 07:37 PM   #48

Quote:
most likely it is behind the distribution panel. but in post #12 you said you checked the three fuses at the converter. how did you do this without knowing where the converter is. stop check 120 receptacles. the suspicion is that you have a problem with the converter. to determine if this is the case we need to know if the converter is getting 120 vac input power and if it is producing 12 vdc output power. in my opinion that is all that matters at this time. we need to prove whether the converter is producing 12 volt output power. it does seem that it is. the reason for this could be:

- converter not receiving 120 vac input power
- converter has failed
- converter reverse polarity fuses are blown

if it is determined that the converter is producing 12 vdc power then the investigation will concentrate on the cables between the converter and the batteries include disconnect switch and resetable circuit breaker.
Chickdoe, I don’t mean to be rude but maybe you need to reread the entire thread.

Post #6 informed him of the reverse polarity fuses.
He has checked the fuses.
He has pretty much determined the converter is not charging by measuring at battery with shore power and no shore power.
He does not know where the converter is located but post 37 will inform him.

Maybe once he removes the panel he can ensure his ac and dc connections. If they are good then replace the sucker...

Old 08-30-2019, 08:13 PM   #49

i'm backing out, but in post #12 op stated he checked the three fuses AT THE CONVERTER. i may be interpreting this wrong but to me it sure sounds like the inverter was located a long time ago.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:33 PM   #50

Quote:

thanks
See the link in my previous post #37 for all the instructions you will need.

The converter is the bottom section (green box in pic attached) of the distribution panel. 2 screws & 5 wires (red circles) to remove the converter.

The 120 VAC input to the converter are the white, black & green wires on the left.
The 12 VDC output is the heavy gauge white & black wires on the right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	converter-1.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	320.4 KB
ID:	213861  

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:42 PM   #51

Quote:
i'm backing out, but in post #12 op stated he checked the three fuses AT THE CONVERTER. i may be interpreting this wrong but to me it sure sounds like the inverter was located a long time ago.
Yea, I do agree this seems to be ring around the Rosie for sure.. there are basically 4 wires to check but we’re 4 pages in and still not to the actual converter connections.. troll?

Also, don’t step out. I always appreciate your insight on threads. This one is just frustrating. I think sometimes when we all just want to help we get ‘too many cooks in the kitchen’ trying to help. I will take that into account in the future...peace.

Old 08-31-2019, 05:25 AM   #52

The OP does not have enough electric knowledge to give us the proper info. I'm out.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:51 AM   #53

Quote:
From the picture shown it appears to be a Progressive Dynamics PD4560. The converter section can be easily swapped out without pulling the distribution panel.

Link to troubleshooting and replacement of converter section.
this is fantastic information, pictures and explanations, takes the guess work out of things. you may get the hero award...LOL
Thanks!
Old 08-31-2019, 05:52 AM   #54

"The OP does not have enough electric knowledge to give us the proper info. I'm out."

That's the ones that need help, but as stated earlier, too many cooks in the kitchen.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:55 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Look at post #37.. there is a link to show you where everything is..
i missed that post thanks for pointing it out, i'll look at it this weekend.

good clear instructions with pics
Old 08-31-2019, 06:18 AM   #56

Quote:
See the link in my previous post #37 for all the instructions you will need.

The converter is the bottom section (green box in pic attached) of the distribution panel. 2 screws & 5 wires (red circles) to remove the converter.

The 120 VAC input to the converter are the white, black & green wires on the left.
The 12 VDC output is the heavy gauge white & black wires on the right.
Man this is great info... thanks to all to who contributed.

there's nothing worse than looking for something without a picture of it.
knowing exactly where to look.

frustration levels may have run high in this thread and I thank everyone for their input. However, my frustration level was thru the frigging roof...again THANK YOU!!!
Old 08-31-2019, 06:37 AM   #57

Your next task is to follow the instructions on the 1st page of troubleshooting procedure very carefully. Once you complete that you will know what step 2 step is. Do that and report back we will go from there.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
Old 09-01-2019, 12:47 PM   #58

Smile

Quote:
Your next task is to follow the instructions on the 1st page of troubleshooting procedure very carefully. Once you complete that you will know what step 2 step is. Do that and report back we will go from there.
a pic is worth a thousand words.
1) you identified with a pic of what the converter looked like
2) you identified the location of the converter also
3) you provided detailed troubleshooting info

I tip my hat to you Sir and want to thank you.

We followed the steps in your instructions and the converter is bad and I'm looking at replacement converter.
are these units typically problematic? seems 4 years is a short lifetime for this unit.
thanks again
Old 09-01-2019, 01:55 PM   #59

Quote:
a pic is worth a thousand words.
1) you identified with a pic of what the converter looked like
2) you identified the location of the converter also
3) you provided detailed troubleshooting info

I tip my hat to you Sir and want to thank you.

We followed the steps in your instructions and the converter is bad and I'm looking at replacement converter.
are these units typically problematic? seems 4 years is a short lifetime for this unit.
thanks again
Glad you got to the bottom of this. Troubleshooting must be very done methodically or you just chase you tail and get nowhere, and usually create worse problems than you started with. I spent my professional life troubleshooting medical equipment used for eye surgery in the field, billed many customers big dollars to fix what their in-house techs tried to fix due to the lack of troubleshooting skills.

PD converters are very solid and typically trouble free. They also have a very good charging algorithm I would replace with the exact same converter. There are many sources including the manufacture.

The part number for the converter section (this is based on the assumption yours is a model PD4560 that I was able to see from your picture, confirm before ordering anything) is PD4560CSV. The CS signifies just the convertor section.

You can purchase a refurb for a bit over $100, or new for around $220. Check amazon, ebay as well as other typical sources. i would call PD first.

Page 2 & 3 of the document you used will walk you through the swap out once you have a replacement in hand.

I can't take credit for the troubleshooting & replacement doc. That is directly from PD. Although I've written many like that over the years.

Keep us in the loop.

Edit: eTrailer has it for $203 with free shipping. Delt with them many times, good company.
Link

Best Converter has it for $185 + shipping
Link

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
Old 09-02-2019, 06:50 PM   #60

Quote:
2015 Crusader
we were plugged in to the campground over the weekend, got ready to leave, and the battery went dead while retracting the slides. This was a brand new battery.

I thought the slides operated off shore power while plugged in? am I wrong?

We put jumper cables on the battery and got the slide in however, I don't understand why we have a dead battery while plugged in?
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Plenty of fancy answers here but the bottom line is the hydraulic pump and slides with DC motors all work off the battery and 12 vdc system, so if the battery is dead none of those systems will work. My emergency answer to this was put a set of jumper cables from you TV to get everything closed to go home. Once home you can then sort out what the cause is.
skipatroller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, shore power, slide