Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2019, 03:01 PM   #1

slides not working with shore power

2015 Crusader
we were plugged in to the campground over the weekend, got ready to leave, and the battery went dead while retracting the slides. This was a brand new battery.

I thought the slides operated off shore power while plugged in? am I wrong?

We put jumper cables on the battery and got the slide in however, I don't understand why we have a dead battery while plugged in?
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
DavidAndDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:05 PM   #2

well, both symptoms indicate that your converter is somehow not working. That is how the battery went dead when connected to shore power and that is why the slides wouldn't come in even when connected to shore power.

Connect to shore power and see what the converter voltage is. Should be 13.5 or more. Could be a fuse, could be a breaker. That is where the problem lies.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:11 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAndDonna View Post
2015 Crusader
we were plugged in to the campground over the weekend, got ready to leave, and the battery went dead while retracting the slides. This was a brand new battery.

I thought the slides operated off shore power while plugged in? am I wrong?

We put jumper cables on the battery and got the slide in however, I don't understand why we have a dead battery while plugged in?
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
The battery gets charged (recharged) when plugged into shore power from the converter. (located in the power distribution center)

The converter's job is to supply 12v when plugged in (using the battery as a ballast) and to charge the battery.

Seeing how you said you replaced the battery, there could be several things happening. (or not happening)

1. The converter may have crapped out and no longer providing a charge/12v output.

2 You may have inadvertently connected/touched the cables to the battery backwards, taking out the converter protection fuses located at the converter. (see picture below)

3. The original bad battery may have required the converter to go into a high charge mode and output more current than the protection fuses could handle and they blew.

Do you own a multimeter and know how to use it?

If so, let us know and we'll give you some tips on how to test these things.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reverse polarity fuses.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	213440  

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:51 PM   #4

wizard is blinking slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
The battery gets charged (recharged) when plugged into shore power from the converter. (located in the power distribution center)

The converter's job is to supply 12v when plugged in (using the battery as a ballast) and to charge the battery.

Seeing how you said you replaced the battery, there could be several things happening. (or not happening)

1. The converter may have crapped out and no longer providing a charge/12v output.

2 You may have inadvertently connected/touched the cables to the battery backwards, taking out the converter protection fuses located at the converter. (see picture below)

3. The original bad battery may have required the converter to go into a high charge mode and output more current than the protection fuses could handle and they blew.

Do you own a multimeter and know how to use it?

If so, let us know and we'll give you some tips on how to test these things.
thanks for your help!

1) I did hook the cables backwards the battery charger (2 amp) this was prior to replacing the new battery just last week ( no glasses and to dark)

2) the wizard mode button WAS staying on all the time. i've disconnected the battery charger and it now is slowly blinking

3) currently i'm at home and hooked up to shore power

4) yeas I can use the multimeter
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	12v-converter.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	360.1 KB
ID:	213450  
Old 08-26-2019, 03:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
well, both symptoms indicate that your converter is somehow not working. That is how the battery went dead when connected to shore power and that is why the slides wouldn't come in even when connected to shore power.

Connect to shore power and see what the converter voltage is. Should be 13.5 or more. Could be a fuse, could be a breaker. That is where the problem lies.
where would i check the converter voltage?

remove the plastic housing?
thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	12v-converter.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	360.1 KB
ID:	213451  
Old 08-26-2019, 04:19 PM   #6
Site Team

There are a couple of things to check.
Check the three 25 amp fuses at the bottom right of the power panel. They are the reverse polarity fuses and will blow if the battery gets hooked up backward. And sometimes will blow when hooking up a battery.

Once you've checked those, you can easily check voltage at the battery. Disconnect shore power and check the voltage. Then plug back into shore power and test the voltage again. The voltage when plugged into shore power should be higher than when not plugged in.If it is then your converter is charging the battery.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:29 PM   #7

I reversed my battery cables at the beginning of last summer. In addition to blowing the reverse polarity fuses, I also blew the 5a fuse in my radio. In addition, since I was connected to the TV, I also blew 2 fuses in my tow vehicle.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
There are a couple of things to check.
Check the three 25 amp fuses at the bottom right of the power panel. They are the reverse polarity fuses and will blow if the battery gets hooked up backward. And sometimes will blow when hooking up a battery.

Once you've checked those, you can easily check voltage at the battery. Disconnect shore power and check the voltage. Then plug back into shore power and test the voltage again. The voltage when plugged into shore power should be higher than when not plugged in.If it is then your converter is charging the battery.

i'll get some new fuses tomorrow and also check with the multimeter.
thanks for responding
Old 08-26-2019, 05:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillMitch View Post
I reversed my battery cables at the beginning of last summer. In addition to blowing the reverse polarity fuses, I also blew the 5a fuse in my radio. In addition, since I was connected to the TV, I also blew 2 fuses in my tow vehicle.
I'll check those fuses tomorrow sounds like it may be the culprit. I fouled up and crossed the battery cables also, to dark and no glasses...
thanks
Old 08-26-2019, 06:20 PM   #10

Quote:
i'll get some new fuses tomorrow and also check with the multimeter.
thanks for responding
Might be a good idea to grab some spare 15 amp fuses if you don’t already have some. Nothing worse than being out and having a fuse blow with no replacement .... just saying.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:51 PM   #11

some converters will not output a charge to a fully dead battery. disconnect from shore power (or at least flip the circuit breaker that feeds the converter to off). use you meter to measure the dc voltage at the battery terminals. make a note of it. about 12.5 volts is a fully charged battery. down to 11 or less is pretty much dead. now plug into shore power so that the converter has power and measure the voltage again. if the converter is recharging the battery you should see a voltage of 13.6 or even up to 14.4. if you are seeing this let the converter recharge the battery for 24 hours or so. if the two voltage measurements are the same there is a very strong possibility that those reverse polarity fuses are blown. pull them and check them with to ohms setting on the multimeter.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
some converters will not output a charge to a fully dead battery. disconnect from shore power (or at least flip the circuit breaker that feeds the converter to off). use you meter to measure the dc voltage at the battery terminals. make a note of it. about 12.5 volts is a fully charged battery. down to 11 or less is pretty much dead. now plug into shore power so that the converter has power and measure the voltage again. if the converter is recharging the battery you should see a voltage of 13.6 or even up to 14.4. if you are seeing this let the converter recharge the battery for 24 hours or so. if the two voltage measurements are the same there is a very strong possibility that those reverse polarity fuses are blown. pull them and check them with to ohms setting on the multimeter.

I'm not getting very far very fast here.
1)Yesterday I checked the battery with multimeter, was getting 12.31
2) unplugged from shore power and was still getting 12.31
3) checked (3) fuses at converter and they checked OK.
4) checked power lugs on converter, and lugs on battery at converter 12.31
4) today I've got 11.91v at the battery
5) she's been plugged into shore power all the time with exception to me disconnecting to check volts
6) are there any more fuses/breakers from the battery to the converter?
7) is there a "reset" or reboot?
8) could the auto-reset breakers be the culprit? IF these auto-reset r the culprit, how do i check them?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190817_101227154[13004].jpg
Views:	237
Size:	258.4 KB
ID:	213644  
Old 08-28-2019, 10:53 AM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
I'm not getting very far very fast here.
1)Yesterday I checked the battery with multimeter, was getting 12.31
2) unplugged from shore power and was still getting 12.31
3) checked (3) fuses at converter and they checked OK.
4) checked power lugs on converter, and lugs on battery at converter 12.31
4) today I've got 11.91v at the battery
5) she's been plugged into shore power all the time with exception to me disconnecting to check volts
6) are there any more fuses/breakers from the battery to the converter?
7) is there a "reset" or reboot?
8) could the auto-reset breakers be the culprit? IF these auto-reset r the culprit, how do i check them?
You are going to need to check the voltage output right at the converter. (where the wires attach that go to the battery) That 'may' require pulling the distribution box out.

Let us know what you have.

Sounds like a converter not working.

Old 08-28-2019, 10:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
You are going to need to check the voltage output right at the converter. (where the wires attach that go to the battery)
Let us know what you have.

Sounds like a converter not working.
X2. OP measured 12.31 at the converter output lugs and battery. Minimum converter voltage S/B something like 13.2. Converter is not working.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:02 AM   #15
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
X2. OP measured 12.31 at the converter output lugs and battery. Minimum converter voltage S/B something like 13.2. Converter is not working.
You are correct Scott... I somehow missed his #4.

Sounds like a bad converter.

I'd do one more test and that is unhook the negative lead at the battery and retest the converter output at the converter lugs. That will eliminate the battery possibly being a dud and tricking the converter into something stupid.

Old 08-28-2019, 12:10 PM   #16

Also, if you disconnect the battery and the inverter was not working wouldn’t you have zero bolts at the converter, or close to it? Flip and reset the 120vac circuit breaker that feeds the converter. Double and triple check the reverse polarity fuses.
Old 08-29-2019, 03:15 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
Also, if you disconnect the battery and the inverter was not working wouldn’t you have zero bolts at the converter, or close to it? Flip and reset the 120vac circuit breaker that feeds the converter. Double and triple check the reverse polarity fuses.
I'll double check today, good point, and I think I'll replace the fuses even though they check OK.
Old 08-29-2019, 03:17 AM   #18

there's also a chrome pull knob that says "Battery Disconnect" located in the garage. Why would one need it and what's it's purpose?
Old 08-29-2019, 04:51 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
there's also a chrome pull knob that says "Battery Disconnect" located in the garage. Why would one need it and what's it's purpose?
Battery disconnect switch is for when the RV is not being used and isn't plugged into shore power.
It prevents the RV's parasitic power drains to empty the battery.
You bought this trailer used, right?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 05:51 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Battery disconnect switch is for when the RV is not being used and isn't plugged into shore power.
It prevents the RV's parasitic power drains to empty the battery.
You bought this trailer used, right?
no we bought it new about 4 years ago

Tags
power, shore power, slide