Old 06-22-2016, 09:04 PM   #1

Slides ripped flooring

I need advice on getting our 2015 Coachmen Chaparral TSIK 336 repaired. The passenger side slide needs to be adjusted because it ripped the Congolium flooring. We have always made sure that the trailer is level, connected to 110 electric and freshly vacuumed before moving the slides in. Hereís the problem, we are past our original warranty, we do have and extended warranty from Cornerstone, but itís starting to sound like itís not going to be covered by them either. We only got to use the trailer one time for 4 days in the first year at a local lake. Right after we took delivery on the trailer my DW was diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer, we spent the whole year with four surgeries, weekly blood work and chemo for 6 months. The good news is she is now cancer free, so off we went on a 6-week adventure and came home with a ripped floor. We contacted a fellow at Coachmen and he was less than helpful. Any ideas or names of folks to talk to that may be more sympathetic? This trailer has had a lot of problems but this is the worst of all. I just went out to take a photo of the damage and found a rip from the kitchen slide also! Thanks.

2015 Coachmen Chaparral 336 TSIK

Twice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:40 PM   #2

Slides ripped flooring

I had the same thing happen right after the factory warranty ran out and the extended warranty "doesn't pay for flooring" and "only pays for mechanical issues".

Although my flooring was ripped badly (it was just laying on the plywood floor and not glued down which I think contributed to the problem) I was able to work it back down and the ripped edges together. I glued it down with vinyl floor seam sealer that I purchased in a small bottle from Lowes. I put a piece of wax paper and a weighted flat board on it while drying. You really can't see the rip anymore.

To protect the floor I now use a piece of leftover vinyl flooring from the house bathroom about 6" wide and about 24" long. I lay it down where the slide will go when I retract the slide. The slide when it is a few inches in from the full out position will be a 1/4" or more off the floor. I put that vinyl down and retract the slide all the way. It glides right over the vinyl and the backing seems to stick to the other vinyl so it stays in place. When the slide is out I just put it in the pantry. This has worked well for the past year+ and certainly 50 or so in/outs. That piece of vinyl is getting a dark mark on it but the flooring underneath looks good.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:02 PM   #3

Thanks Just Checking! I'm happy to hear that your repair worked. Like your floor, ours is not glued down and I too suspect that contributed to the damage. Did you adjust your slides? It seems that they are running to low and need to be raised slightly.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:24 PM   #4

No I haven't tried adjusting the slide. The side that didn't rip does seem to ride higher when sliding in/out than the side that did rip. Although the service manager at the place I bought the camper was friendly I really couldn't get any good technical info from him. He did try to get the extended warranty to pay for repairs but couldn't, see my first post. He did give me an extra power cord that I shortened from 25 to 8 feet which works most of the time! I also couldn't find info on what parts go along that bottom edge; so came up with my own solution.

My camper is a Roo 21SS which has worked out very well.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:44 PM   #5

HI Twice, sorry to hear about the slideout problems I have the same coach as you and started having the same problem but never let it progress to the point of tearing the floor up. If possible take a look under your slide with it out some, and see if your wiper seal is torn to smitherings and the black fiber mesh on the bottom of the slide is tearing.

If it is the slide maybe to low. The repair facility I took it to told me that there were a set of rollers missing and Coachmen steeped up and took care of it. I'm trying to find some pictures to better explain myself but I don't know were DW has hide them .

Glad to here that your wife is doing better that's a scary thing to be in.

One more question though, did you happen to purchase you trailer in Turlock?
Old 06-23-2016, 09:51 AM   #6

Curt and Michele,
Yes, we did buy it from the dealer in Turlock, in March 2015.They also installed our slide toppers which is another issue. I don't think they installed them high enough and the screws on the kitchen slide are pulling out, so they missed the stud. Interesting about your coach having the same issue, those slides are huge and heavy. I know we have a problem with the wiper seal on the kitchen slide, when I've been under there checking tires I've seen the seal torn. I will crawl under the dining room slide today and check the areas you suggested. I also noticed that the bedroom slide is getting really noisy. It's already had a problem and been repaired, it sheared the pin in the motor. This unit also came with a leak on the black and one of the grey tanks! Hope yours is less troublesome. I will get back to you on findings, thanks.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:13 AM   #7

Wow it is a small world, I had to ask because I saw your location as central CA. We picked up ours in Memorial weekend, well paid for it, picked it up 2 weeks later.

I slowed down and reread the post. It is the kitchen side that we were having problems with and were missing rollers. That eventually was repaired. The dinette side no problems. Although, a rock did get stuck under the slide as it was brought back in one time and slightly damaged the floor.

The only problems we have had is fireplace quit working, the antenna crank was not installed properly and when I put on a steady fast system I found they did not bolt in one of the braces holding the fresh water tank. Got lucky we did not drop that on the freeway.

They also installed our slide toppers which is another issue. I don't think they installed them high enough and the screws on the kitchen slide are pulling out, so they missed the stud.

Interesting, if I'm not mistaken ours came with the mounts already installed from the factory for the slide toppers. If this is correct that should be on Coachmen as well. I really need to get home early enough to take some pictures.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:58 PM   #8

I have a Cherokee 284bf, and the slide has ripped the floor in it as well. Wondering if it could be same issue?

2015 Cherokee 284bf limited
Old 06-25-2016, 09:53 AM   #9

I sure hope you are still in warranty. I don't have an appointment for repairs until mid-July.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twice View Post
I sure hope you are still in warranty. I don't have an appointment for repairs until mid-July.

If it is Best RV you purchased from they are notorious for overbooking. Prepare for a long wait and possibly multiple trips as they do not have space to store your unit until they can resolve all your issues.

Sorry to hear about all the mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Tags
flooring, slide, slide out