Old 07-28-2016, 07:35 AM   #1

Slides... The love hate relationship..??

Slides, probably one of the most common, costly and frustrating issues in the RV game from what I can tell. Yet, a feature that really adds to the comfort and functionality of a coach. Hence, the "love-hate" nature of these problematic push-outs.

I'm making the jump into a brand new Sunseeker 3170DS after considering the 3050 but going another way because I think that having such a huge slide (basically the entire wall) is a problem waiting to happen. (Now I have two slides instead of one, lol!) Especially if you're the type of camper that's more mobile than fixed to a seasonal site or two, thereby requiring more frequent slide deployment.
That said, I'm aware that slides in general could be viewed as "problems waiting to happen". There are certainly enough people out there dealing with issues on slides of all sizes and designs to justify that point of view. So much so that I think they give most buyers pause as to having them and an uneasy feeling every time they reach for the switch when they do have them.
Nonetheless, when all is well with the slides there is no denying the comfort and practicality they add to today's coaches. They really do make the coach more like a home and a place where you can spend some time without feeling so boxed in.

What if anything are you doing to protect the integrity of your slide(s)?
Is there anything you can do beyond the basic application of lithium grease According to OEM instructions?
Has anyone found that bracing slides while extended, or any other technique has helped keep them from being among the ranks of frustrated slide owners? If there is something that can help then I'd like to start a good practice from day one.
I appreciate the feedback from anyone that can share their experiences on what to do...or what NOT to do, in regard to good slide use and maintenance.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:44 AM   #2

I don't think bracing after extending is recommended.

I wish I had a trailer with 8 slides. Heck, I don't know why they can't extend the top, bottom, front, back, sides........... heck of a concept! Slides make me laugh at the "tiny house" people.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:06 AM   #3
Fulltime family RVer

BandJCarm is right- slide supports are not recommended. If I hadn't thrown it away, I could have posted the excerpt from my owner's manual where it said they were not recommended.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:16 AM   #4

Thanks for the responses.
Do you mean to tell me that there are people selling these products even though using them isn't a good idea?? The nerve! ;-)

Yeah, unless somebody could give me a good reference point as to the recommended us of supports I wasn't going to employ them. You start making pressure/load bearing points where they were not designed to be then you're introducing a potentially new set of problems.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:50 AM   #5

I don't think you should use lithium grease on your slides as this will hold dirt and debris. There are several products that are recommended that dry but also lubricate as discussed in the attached article..

Also, you want to treat your rubber seals periodically.

RV Clinic: Slide Lubrication

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
I don't think you should use lithium grease on your slides as this will hold dirt and debris. There are several products that are recommended that dry but also lubricate as discussed in the attached article..

Also, you want to treat your rubber seals periodically.

RV Clinic: Slide Lubrication

Thanks. Based on some of what I've found that is why they recommend white lithium spray grease ...it won't hold, or hold as much perhaps, potentially abrasive particles/debris. Clearly I'll need to look at this again and to the manufacturers for more specifics.
Thanks again.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPoppy View Post
Thanks. Based on some of what I've found that is why they recommend white lithium spray grease ...it won't hold, or hold as much perhaps, potentially abrasive particles/debris. Clearly I'll need to look at this again and to the manufacturers for more specifics.
Thanks again.
X2. I only use the spray slide lube you can get at wally world. It cleans and lubricates but is a 'dry' lube that doesn't attract dust. Been using it for many years with good results. I use it often before I bring in the slides... Especially if they have been out a few days.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:02 PM   #8

I am actually pleased to hear that I am not the only one with the "jitters" at switch time when opening and closing the slides. So many horror stories. I always have a big, big sigh of relief when everything is tucked away again. That said, my first C class had no slides back in the 1980's. I would never buy an RV without them.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:18 PM   #9

Our slides are hydraulic so another thing I do is spray the hydraulic rams with a silicon spray. Do not use WD-40 or any petroleum based product as this is ruinous on the seals.

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:30 PM   #10

I use a spray slide lubricant that Camping World carries. So far in 19,000 miles and mostly quick in and out camping stays, not a problem yet with my Solera's slide.

Tags
slide, slide out